Thursday, April 10, 2014

What Do You Fear?

When I have a day off, I  like to take a strength class. Well, it looks like today was our instructor's, (who resembles an unber fit Barbie) final day teaching. She reassured us that she would still be around though, teaching a paddle board class on the lake. Well, that's not gonna do me any good with my TOTALLY IRRATIONAL FEAR OF DEEP WATER!!!!

In my 40+ years I have never learned to swim well. I can float for long distances on my back and do the lame side stroke and a makeshift doggie paddle, but that's about the extent of it.

I realize if you can stay afloat in shallow water, you should conceivably be able to do the same in deep water, but if my feet cannot touch the bottom, panic sets in.

VC assessed my doggie paddle at the local swimming hole a year ago and said it wasn't half bad. If you recall, he is an incredible diver. No idea where those genes came from but I can safely say they were not from my gene pool.

Maybe one of these days I will tackle this fear. If only I didn't despise pools and bodies of water....

In the meantime, you will not spot me on the lake doing this - or even on dry land for that matter:
What is it you fear?

5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

CATS.
so when i see you have photo's i jump off. sorry.

Slamdunk said...

Well there is still time to get more comfortable with swimming--as much as you enjoy athletic challenges, you'll be competing in local triathlons in no time.

Biggest fear… hmm… Losing my hair? Yikes--too late for me and that one.

Jill of All Trades said...

I swim like a fish but not in anything that has critters in it. Swimming pools are just fine. Jaws totally ruined me.

Also, fear of being lost.

mypixieblog said...

OMG, girl.. I have the EXACT SAME FEAR. As soon as I can no longer feel the bottom, I totally flail around. I would totally love to learn how to swim. Because not being able to puts a damper on going on cruises (which I love).

Hope you had a great weekend!!

LL Cool Joe said...

Dying of cancer.

I love to swim. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...