Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Life Marches On...

I was approached recently about doing a review of a parental control software to protect children on the internet. Looked like a great program, only problem being that my 18 year old already thinks I monitor his activities too much, as is. What can I say? I am an EXCELLENT micromanager much to the dismay of my family.

Now that VC has turned 18 I guess I can no longer claim to be a "mommy blogger" although that was a label I never much applied to my blog in the first place. Too constrictive. I see this blog as more of a "slice of life blog" and  hopefully it will continue to move along as I enter the lonely world of the empty-nester.

Here we are on probably our last time dyeing Easter eggs together:


*you can see that my Instagram account gets plenty of activity ;-)

What have I been doing?:

(1) "training" for a 5K - and I use the term "training" loosely. Since running is so hard on the knees I mostly continue to take fitness/strength classes and do an occasional 1.5 mile slow jog. This "training method" worked the last time I raced and will protect my knees in the long run *fingers crossed*

(2) doing some crocheting. Another crooked baby blanket in the works ;-)

(3) reading! My current book:
The Husband's Secret - Oh My GOSH - this is a page turner. I had planned to read it when substitute teaching later this week if I have time, but let me tell you - it is a good one so I have been staying up late reading it. Will probably finish it before I get to the classroom. Liane Moriarity is also the author of A Hypnotist's Love Story, a book I read last year. Also excellent. If you are looking for a beach read, I highly recommend both books.

(4) doing some work as an extra. I cannot divulge the details but it is a lot of fun. You may recall I did a day working as an extra last year - and ended up on the cutting room floor. Maybe I'll get lucky this year :-)

(5) Substitute teaching - mostly high school and middle school.

(6) doing some medical work on a per diem basis. Still unsure if this is the career direction for me.

(7) still whining that I have not yet found my passion in life :( If you follow the Humans of New York Blog and Facebook page, you will see a woman who is in her seventies who was also lamenting this earlier in the week. She is me fast forward 25 years. Working to change that...

(8) Continuing my real life crime drama addiction by watching Dateline and 48 Hours religiously.

(9) Trying to get all the Easter candy out of the house now that I have consumed the mini Cadbury Creme Eggs...I have ZERO willpower.

(10) spending lots of time with my sweet kitty Pumpkin. There is so much joy a pet can bring into your life. Had no idea how much I had been missing out on for 40+ years of my life. She is my feisty little companion...

(11) Trying to stay positive in general. I gravitate toward glass half empty even though I have so many good things in my life. It is silly. I truly think you are born with a certain set of behavioral characteristics and some are difficult to change, but can be changed.

(12) Continuing with the blogging even though a lot of my mojo was zapped when I lost my domain name. Still bugs me.

That about sums it up. I am grateful to all who still visit my little corner of the blogosphere. Wishing you nothing but good things to come!

4 comments:

mypixieblog said...

Okay, a few things.

1) you totally need to add an Instagram button to your blog so that your visitors (ahem, ME!) can follow :) I'm going to add you later (I think I can only do this from my phone, but I'm "mypixieblog" if you're interested).
2) That's awesome you are going to be an extra! I can't wait to hear more!!
3) Good for you on cutting out sugar. Trying to do the same (well, going for more "natural" sugars, i.e., anything found in fruits)
4) I think we are all still trying to figure out what it is we want to do for the rest of our lives. Do we ever really have that all figured out? Love Humans of NY.

Rebecca Jo said...

Take care of those knees!!! If it gets bad, you know I believe 120% in KT Tape!!

I'm going to have to check out those books!

Slamdunk said...

Oh I bet the big boy will find an excuse to paint some eggs with mom again--even if it is not on Easter weekend.

With your #1, congrats! Training is training in my book.

With your subbing--you have my respect. Now that is a tough job.

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh boy your son has grown up, complete with beard!

I'm not looking forward to the empty nest years I have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...