Saturday, April 5, 2014

Beans and Coffee, Edamame and Magical Childhoods!

Just when you thought I was done dwelling on intestinal issues, I'm not!  Today I learned a very valuable lesson: Do not eat the equivalent of a can and a half of black beans, guzzle some coffee and then go on a scheduled mall walk with a friend.

This is a REALLY BAD IDEA!

All that walking was just churning the big ball o' bloat...

I had to sit down at mile 3.31, and I never sit down during a slow mall walk...

I am a idiot when it comes to food. Sometimes even an idiot at identifying food. I was substituting with 7th graders all week. One day I was sitting with a group and a student had a bunch of what looked like pea pods or beans (who the heck knows the difference ;-) ) on the table.


We were getting ready to go outside so I wanted the kids to clean up. Noticing that one of his bean pods was on the floor, I said, "and please pick up that bean thingy" from the floor, at which point he replied, "it is edamame." So this is the kind of healthy food the kids are bringing for lunch these days!!  I frowned when I thought of the BLT sandwich I had made for VC that morning for his lunch. Not quite the same health value as edamame. And this is why I will not be receiving any Parent of the Year awards.

Speaking of which, did you see this blog post on the Huff Post, "I'm Done Making My Kid's Childhood Magical."  It is recommended reading. I am so glad VC made it through his formative years, before there was facebook, Pinterest and the constant documentation of every move he made and pressure to be Uber Creative Mom. The parents of today would be aghast to learn that my son has made it to age 18 without ever having had an XBOX, Playstation, Wii, Gameboy, etc. etc. It can be done...

3 comments:

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Yikes. That is a lot of black beans.

Slamdunk said...

Hehe--beans do things to all of us. You are much better than us with the video and electronic restrictions...

mypixieblog said...

I mean, I love edamame but I'm also 35. Who in the hell puts that in a kid's lunchbox?!

I guess I won't ever win a parenting award either. Will have to check out that article!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...