Saturday, March 8, 2014

Where Will It End

Two recent educational develoments have caused me to do the raised eyebrow.

First, the lowering of 3rd grade reading requirements in the state where I reside, although "State officials have said the new scores so not reflect lower standards" - very puzzling. It would seem that the new scores do reflect that.

Secondly, the revamp of the SAT, which includes elimination of the writing portion and difficult vocabulary words. Again, this is supposedly not seen as lowering standards.

I am so grateful that VC  has been accepted to all of the universities to which he applied and I am fairly certain it has a lot to do with his excellent SAT scores.

Why not strive for excellence instead of celebrating mediocrity?



5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This appalled me.
So again we are dumbing things down for this generation. Why? I would bet most couldn't even pass the test to become a citizen as it is. So we make it easier to get into college and we allow them to speak in text speak and then we wonder why there are no smart people to hire. We just had a numbnut apply and the spelling of his cover letter was pathetic at best. His grammar even worse. And this will be the dumb ass who says there are no jobs out there. Unless he wants to shovel shit at the zoo, he is correct, a dumb person has a very difficult time getting a job.

mypixieblog said...

Yes, and yes. I think it's because parents can't accept the fact that their children aren't meeting the expectations? It's sad :(

This means that we are sending hordes of unqualified and unfit professionals out into the world. And this is serving anyone, how…??

mypixieblog said...

I can't believe I am still a no-reply blogger! THE HELL!?! I made a quick edit this morning. Can you tell me if that works?! I'm so very sorry and THANK YOU for pointing this out to me. *slams head on desk*

Slamdunk said...

Yeah, it is a shame that we due less challenging these days and more coddling. Universities have become such a money-making business anyway...

mypixieblog said...

Happy St. Pat's momma :) Hope you had a great weekend! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...