Sunday, March 30, 2014

Skip the Monk Fruit

In my never ending quest to reduce my sugar intake, I came across Monk Fruit (just typed "monkey fruit" by mistake) extract in the sugar substitute section of the grocery. I pulled out my phone to do some quick research on it's safety and saw that it got the Dr. Oz stamp of approval. (although sometimes I am quite skeptical of products he endorses) - further research was completed - and it seemed to be a safe product.

The particular brand I purchased was Skinnygirl Monk Fruit, simply because it was in a tiny container so I could try without going all in...



Eager to taste it, I came home and brewed some coffee (the old-fashioned way - no K-cups here) - and put in a couple splashes.

I can't even begin to describe the taste, but it was no match for sugar. Currently, I cannot drink coffee without putting in a teaspoon and a 1/2. Much too much, especially considering my concern about fatty liver infiltration. Not kidding...

It was extremely bitter and perhaps very remotely sweet. BLECH.

Not to be daunted, I tried it again the next day, this time putting in 1 teaspoon of sugar and 2 splashes of Monk Fruit. MEH. Only slightly better - and I was still consuming sugar, so that defeated the purpose.

And then the past couple days I noticed awful gas pains in my lower abdomen. I wasn't eating anything out of my ordinary relatively basic diet. Other than......Monk Fruit extract!!!!  The pain was very sharp during the night prompting me to get up and google "Monk Fruit Extract and excessive gas" - and what do you know...many people have trouble in that it can ferment in the digestive tract and cause bloating and gas.

This may be a case of my digestive tract getting more sensitive with age, and maybe you will try and and have no problems....but for me, it was not a good sugar replacement.

Trying to stay away from anything aspartame-related, I have already tried and put the nix on Agave.

Which brings me back to sugar and the fact that I may need to bite the bullet and just cut back on my sugar intake without focusing on finding a healthy replacement. This may require some gritting of teeth but I can do it. Or can I?

10 comments:

mypixieblog said...

Uhm, no thank you to that. I have enough stomach problems as it is :p Anyway, that's a shame. As you know, I love Bethenney and most of the products she creates but have found her items FLOODING shelves lately and wonder how much control she has on them (and didn't she sell her company to Jack Daniels? Or some other major liquor distributor?!) I'll skip on this (and good to know on the agave).

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

First of all I saw Dr oz say on his show that he does not endorse any product and if we see his face associated its a lie! So there is that.
Sugar in moderation is better than chemicals any day.
I use stevia in the raw. Not as sweet as sugar to me but I only use it in my coffee.

Slamdunk said...

Yikes--I'll pass. I wish you well with the battle with sugar. My weakness is salt. Yum…

Philsy said...

okay miss carma this might be the chemist in me but, please doo share the ingredients listed on the label and together we'll super sleuth our way to the absolute truth in this what must be a very important matter since in made the carma sez blog

Carma Sez said...

Philsy, thank you for being a loyal reader ;-)I tossed it but looked up the ingredients online:

Water, Monk Fruit Extract, Malic Acid, Sodium Benzoate (preservative) & potassium sorbate (preservative).

Claudio J Gontijo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Thanks for the advice. I tend to stick to Truvia.

Anonymous said...

I purchased some coconut-almond milk with monksfruit in it. I had gas each time I used i. Today I tried it out again to make sure it was what was causing the gas. A few minutes after drinking it I felt something warm in my pants. I had no warning. It gave me diarrhea. I didn't even have time to finish the glass of milk it happened so fast. I threw away the rest of

Anonymous said...

Dang. I was liking the taste in my morning drink but I think this may be what's causing my gas, stomach pain and migraines. I haven't had migraines in years and just had my 3rd one in 6 weeks. I think I'll switch back to Omica Organics liquid stevia. It's by far the best and their process is the best/purest. I was using Pure Monk and it has one ingredient. Actually, I hope this is the cause of my migraines so they'll now go away!!

lytedancer said...

I have a yummy protein powder sweetened with monk fruit extract and it's definitely been causing gas and bloating. Glad I found your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...