Thursday, November 7, 2013

What's in a Name?

I was catching up on local news this week and I came across a naming phenomenon that struck me as a little odd. A couple just had a baby & the baby's last name is a combo of both their last names. (mom goes by her own last name) Strange. For example, let's say the Mom was "Jane Thomas" and the father was "John Newman" - the baby's last name would be "Thoman" This was an actual story. I am not making it up. How the heck are relatives in the 3000's going to trace back the family history on Ancestry.com after they come across this combo name? Good or bad idea?

4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

weird to me but to each their own.
I get both names being used like baby Thomas Newman but making a new last name is just weird.

Back in the day when i was first married I didn't take my husbands name. For 2 years we had so many issues so I finally succumbed and took his name. I loved my name damn it.

Mike said...

Ass Long as the last names weren't Lafat and Bodass I guess it could work. lol

If you're into dark fiction, and have an e-reader, I can send you my second novel in exchange for a review. I need reviews. lol

Aleta said...

I'm more of the traditional sort. So, I wouldn't go for that idea. It kind of breaks the family unity in a weird way, but hope it works for them!

Rachel Cotterill said...

I quite like some of the new naming conventions... but it does seem to me that it's easier for everyone in a family to have the same last name (whatever variant you choose that to be). Otherwise addressing the Christmas card envelopes gets kind of long....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...