Friday, October 18, 2013

Pick Your Poison: Fiction or Non-Fiction

Lately I've been reading a lot of the drama behind the casting of the 50 Shades movie. Now that I am officially a tv extra, I keep up on this kind of thing ;-)

On my facebook page, two friends were debating the merits of the book. One advised strongly against wasting my time reading the series, the other enjoyed the books. Last week we were discussing writing/reading as she is currently working on a book and some erotic short stories since there is a market for that these days!  As an aside, I doubt I would ever be qualified to write one of those books. It might put people to sleep...

Anyway, she asked if I read a lot, and I had to be honest, that I do not, since I spend so much wasted time puttering around the internet instead. But the fact is that I am not a big reader of fiction.

I spent my first year working at the art gallery (2007) passing the time away reading books. It all started with The Memory Keeper's Daughter - EXCELLENT BOOK if you haven't read it yet. Then I fell into the mystery/thriller category - books by JD Robb, Harlan Koben (quite good), Patterson, Cornwell, etc.

Eventually they got to be very predictable. I also read several books recommended by my boss at the time, since she was a voracious reader and liked to discuss the books. Most were not my taste, but I muddled through any way: Three Cups of Tea (meh), Eat, Pray, Love (tolerated it), The Help (this was an unexpected treat), The Red Queen (actually turned out to be an interesting period piece), The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (pass on this one-I've already whined about it in a previous post). Then a couple good picks of my own, such as The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner.

After that first year, I discovered there was a wi-fi connection available, which lead to countless hours blogging and tweeting instead of reading. It became very addictive.

From that point on, I've stuck mainly to non-fiction reading, which is what I really enjoy. Lots of magazines, Radar Online, books on finding fulfilling work, thoughts on living a happy life, oh, and medical ceu credit books!

I think I may start posting some of my favorite thoughts/quotes from some of those books on this here blog just to jog my memory the next time I get in a rut. Ignore the posts if they are not your cup of tea, but you may find some of the material interesting. When I get a chance, I will dig through my "flow (inspiration) folder" (yes, I have one of those)

After all, the blog is not exactly deluged with blog traffic (especially now that my name has been pilfered) to the point that I can't post a few posts here or there for my own self-improvement purposes ;-)

***I have a very nice giveaway going on - please scroll down to the previous post to enter - all it takes is a comment!***

-carmasez

1 comment:

Rachel Cotterill said...

I love fiction for easy reading, and non-fiction to learn something. Plus blogs, of course, which I think of as a kind of magazine with features of all different kinds :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...