World Vision's Gift Catalog offers a unique set of gifts designed to do just that. Among their top 10 most popular gifts: 5 Ducks (for a $35 donation), A Goat and 2 Chickens ($100) and $350 worth of medicines ($35).
If you choose to support families right here in the US, an $18 donation can feed a family for one day and $22 provides a backpack and school supplies.
There are also over 30 handcrafted gift items in the catalog, including this beautiful Thai bracelet:
The Giveaway: One reader will win their choice of one of the gifts listed below.
- Colors of Africa Bracelet & Earring Set: This gorgeous Zakale jewelry set is handmade from recycled materials by Kenyan artisans reclaiming their own lives from poverty.
- Cinnamon Box: Created from the dried inner bark of Cassia (Cinnamon) trees by skilled artisans in Vietnam; these boxes help families receive social and health insurance as well as the opportunity to apply for scholarship funds.
- Hand-woven Headband: This beautiful, 100% cotton headband woven by skilled workers in Lake Atitlan in Guatemala helps address urgent needs of children, families or communities that might otherwise go unmet.
- Ornament Set: This set includes three handmade Zakale wire and bead animal trio ornaments from Nairobi.
- Gertie the Plush Goat: Gertie is available exclusively through World Vision and represents farm animals that are donated to children and families around the world and provide a steady supply of nutritious food and the surplus can be sold for extra income.
Full Disclosure: I received a gift for the purpose of this review. No monetary compensation was received.