Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Great Weight Debate

Well, MB and I have entered into a debate this morning about if it is ever appropriate to ask a chick her weight.



This was on the heels of someone asking me this question yesterday. I say it is never appropriate. He says it is fine.

This same person went shopping with me a week ago and had to look at my pant size so now I have to hear over and over again, "Well it must be tough being a size ____ , Hello Ms. Size ____" etc.

Don't get me wrong this is a kind-hearted person, but it is starting to make me very uncomfortable as if it is some kind of competition.

What are your thoughts?

7 comments:

Where the Fur Flies said...

There are two truths about women: never ask a woman about her weight, and never ever ask a woman if she's pregnant. If she wants to talk about either, she'll let you know.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I agree with Where the Fur Flies!!
I'd perfer someone to ask if that is my real hair color, how much money I make and is this your first marriage. (all of which have been asked of me lately) but not my weight or God forbid if I'm pregnant!!!!!!!!

Rebecca Jo said...

I never want anyone to ask me my weight - EVER...

I think its a difference though in skinny/fat... & the offense that is taken. My husband can't gain weight so when he says something like "you gain weight easily" - its something he wants. When I call him skinny legs - its what I want... but it offends him...

I guess the point it - weight, no matter what is a sensitive topic. I guess if someone is saying something to you repeatedly, just think of it from their eyes & realize its probably just a compliment.

Rachel Cotterill said...

Just... no. Never. I don't even *know* my weight, and no-one ever believes me (why would I weigh myself if I fit in my clothes?).

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I say it is never appropriate either.

McVal said...

I HATE that!!! Oh I know my weight... But it's not bragable.

Charlotte Klein said...

This would make me extremely uncomfortable, too. It's funny--my entire life long, I've always been a bit on the petite size, but have started gaining weight over the past year or so and find I am SO sensitive to weight-related jokes or comments, or well, anything. I don't think it's ever appropriate to bring up someone's weight. EVER! Yes to When the Fur Flies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...