Sunday, July 21, 2013

Back from our Roadtrip with a Hankering to Become Pickers - and maybe Swamp People!

We got back in town last night from our road trip to Niagara Falls. In all my many years, that is one place I never visited. We stayed in Ontario. Beautiful spot. More on the trip later.

My son, who is 17, loves a good road trip. He prefers this type of trip to any other type. We saw many sights in our 7 days - but one of the highlights for him besides setting up his own technical lab in the car, and eating out, was watching the History Channel.

We don't have cable, so we get approximately 3.5 channels. The big benefit of this lack of cable is that it frees up lots of time.

After one night on the trip spent viewing American Pickers, we were hooked and by the last night we had to force ourselves to turn off the TV after the 3rd episode that night.



It is a very addictive show.

We stopped at Pickers Paradise on the way home after I saw a sign on the highway. I think we will need a lot more educating before we are ready to become official pickers, plus I am a minimalist, so there's that...but it is awfully fun to look!

When not watching American Pickers, we were lured in (pun not intended) - by Swamp People. Very intriguing waiting to see if all of the teams would tag out for the season (they did).



Next year I am thinking our road trip needs to be History Channel themed. Maybe we could go to Indiana to visit the American Pickers at their shop Antique Archaeology and then head to the bayou to see the Swamp People in action...

3 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

OMG you are too funny.
I would no more watch Swamp People than well...anything. I guess I have too many choices huh?

If never seeing the falls you did the right thing, the Canadian side is far better than the American side sadly. It's even beautiful in snow and ice and the sun makes it all shimmery. Love it.

Slamdunk said...

Welcome back. I have never been to the Falls, but would like to go some day.

Oh gosh, my son loves all those antique shows; especially American pickers (their shop is in Iowa right?). He also enjoys the gun/blow stuff up shows as well so I am thinking if we did the Swamp People tour he would insist that we hit the Sons of Guns shop in the LA bayou as well. The Mrs. could not handle that sort of trip though--may have to make it an all guys one.

Liz at Buffalo said...


Darn--wish I'd known you were in town! I could've showed you around the (vastly superior) American side of the Falls, haha. Hope you had a fun time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...