Thursday, May 2, 2013

Labeling a Review a Review: No Trickery Here

A week ago, Dooce wrote this post about houses she had purchased and renovated in the past - the gist of which was whether she should buy another home to fix up or consider a new home. After looking at the beautiful photos of her handiwork on previous homes and a recap of some of the money she sank into the homes, she ended the post by posing a question to readers - asking about their experiences buying a new existing home or building one of their own.

All sounds fairly mundane, right?

That is until you get to the comment section. I love a good comment section. As we all know, comments are much more entertaining than actual blog posts.

Many of her readers felt cheated when they realized the post was in fact a *gasp* sponsored post!!

photo credit: Greencolander

They were unable to discover this until scrolling down to the bottom of the post.

Some felt that she should have identified in the header that it was a sponsored post.

One thing that I am careful with on this blog is to always identify in the blog post title if it is a review post. That gives folks the option of skipping the post entirely if they so choose.

Maybe they will read it. Maybe they won't. But at least there will not be any hard feelings.



*My Mother's Day NOVICA giveaway is still open for entries!! Beautiful hand crafted unique items perfect for mom :-)


4 comments:

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

As long as it's labeled somewhere, I think it's fine. PS. How's school going?

Charlotte Klein said...

Amen sister, I have one coming up tomorrow and made sure to write "sponsored post" in the title.

I haven't stopped by her site in awhile. Thanks for reminding me! XOXO and hope all is well with you/school!

LL Cool Joe said...

There is something about sponsored posts that puts me off commenting. I think as long as you make it clear, that's fine.;)

Allison King said...

I'm not wild about sponsored posts. I would certainly feel hoodwinked if I didn't know until I had already spent the time reading it. Just my opinion. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...