Wednesday, May 22, 2013

It's Not Easy Being a peri-Senior Citizen!

Lately, it has been dawning on me that I am approaching that age where people brush you aside as being old and irrelevant. It's sad. I feel like there is still so much more I need to accomplish but it is also time to get realistic.

I was taking a cardio fitness class at the YMCA last night. It is basically a combination of kickboxing, strength training and interval training.

There were about 12 people in the class at the beginning but the number tapered off a bit when the instructor continued to ramp up the workout.

Well, it came to the part of the class where she has us put two of those stretchy exercise resistance tubes with handles around a partner and try and pull them back as they attempt to run. Apparently this is a good ab building exercise? It is also a form of torture.



There is a girl who I have seen in several classes. Never spoke to her but she seemed friendly enough. So it was time to partner up and she and I were the only ones near each other. She immediately said, "you may want to find another partner because I like to pull really hard." - translation - you look like an old weakling who will cause me to have a sucky workout.

She asked the instructor if the instructor would partner with her but the instructor balked since she was having abdominal pain. (She actually  had to leave the class early it got so bad - hopefully not appendicitis) But I digress. That left me with the twentysomething. Ends up I was able to hold her back just as well as those who weighed more than me and were younger.

Bottom line: Never underestimate someone's strength - or intelligence. "Old people" need love too. Chances are I'll see her again. But will not partner with her :P

4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well the first thing that went through my mind as I was reading this was, "bitch"

Once over 40 we become invisible and it sucks. We can do most things around that 20 something wench but she's too dumb to know it. Just wait. Karma is a bitch.
:-)

Rebecca Jo said...

You're better then me... I'd let go of the thing just to make her fall & then say, "You're right, I'm too feeble" :) haha! I'm so mean! Dang!

Jill of All Trades said...

I agree with Peg. That ticks me off. Kind of makes me want to do a Fried Green Tomatoes thing, "Kathy Bates" style!

Jill of All Trades said...

I agree with Peg. That ticks me off. Kind of makes me want to do a Fried Green Tomatoes thing, "Kathy Bates" style!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...