Sunday, March 3, 2013

I'm Gonna be a Maid of Honor!

It is very odd to find myself in this position at "middle age."  It is a long story, but the ex-wife of someone my husband befriended (they were married close to 30 years and recently divorced) asked me to be her Maid of Honor. During the time culminating in the divorce, we came down clearly on her side for reasons I won't mention here. We don't see each other often at all, mostly communicate via Facebook, but I guess I was a welcome sounding board during difficult times and she appreciated it...

Which leaves me approximately 7 weeks to pick out a maid of honor gown. Here's where you come in.

Do you think this style is too much "bridal party dress" that I won't be able to use it again?  I have another one in mind of a more deep dusty purple color. But this is my starting point as it was the first style that caught my eye.

What do you think?


If I was a 6 inches taller, I would go for this style minus the big poufy flower. This is the color that would be most flattering with my hair and skin tone, plus it is designed by Vera Wang :)
I should probably add that the venue is very rustic - translation: porta jons will be involved. Possibly no running water. But the bride has picked out a very formal classic-styled gown.

Oh, this one is kinda cute - not formal enough???


11 comments:

Lisa Paul said...

Sorry Carma,

But you can't be a Maid of Honor. The correct title for a married woman fulfilling these duties is...wait for it...MATRON of Honor.

Now that should make you feel...well...matronly.

angelcel said...

The Vera Wang is gorgeous in its simplicity - heavenly colour too.

Jenn @ You know... that Blog? said...

The first one caught my eye and didn't let go - it's perfect, and I can see it on you! Enjoy!

Where the Fur Flies said...

I like the first one. I think only the hemline makes it seem so formal that it might look like a grad or maid of honor dress. You could have the hem straightened out down the road, and then get a lot of wear out of it.

Rebecca Jo said...

I LOVE the first one... & I do think you could even have it hemmed up to a shorter dress for a perfect easy dress to wear to more occassions.

I dont care at all for the 3rd one. It just reminds me of a 80s style & not much shape to it. I'm also not a fan of shiney sateen matieral.

I'm sure you'll be beautiful in whatever you pick.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'm going through this horror as my step daughter is getting married. Have you seen the mother of the brdie dresses? Matronly and hideous. I like the 1st two the best.
I am sure the bride would love to give an opinion. You'll look good in anything Carma!

McVal said...

Cool! I think I like the 1st 2 the best too. And the 1st one you can always belly dance around in when you want to.

LL Cool Joe said...

Well I know nothing at all about dresses but congratulations! You must be loved. :)

Lucy said...

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Have fun with your duties :)

Charlotte Klein said...

Oh, lord... I am THE WORST PERSON to ask where this kind of stuff is concerned BUT I have never been able to get another night's worth of use out of a bridesmaid's dress. I feel as though all wedding dresses look like just that, ya know? I do however REALLY love the second dress and think you could get away with wearing it elsewhere because of the material. The first one is really pretty but the hemline might make it difficult to pull off elsewhere. Then again, what do I know? :)

Yay, weddings!

fizzycat said...

They are all nice the top one is my favorite, enjoy your day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...