Saturday, March 16, 2013

Another Totally Bizarre Health Incident

Well, as you may know, I have been doing Pilates for a couple months now and enjoying it. I have only been attending a few classes a week but I was getting psyched at the prospect of my new longer body LOL. I like that they claim your muscles lengthen when really your bones would need to be able to lengthen as well.

But I digress. As part of the exercises, we do a lot of rolling back with our legs over our heads,


... which may or may not be the cause of my latest health incident.

On Monday I got up early and checked the computer to see if I had been called in to substitute. I noticed a flickering of light at my peripheral vision on one side, and chalked it up to using the computer in a completely darkened room. I thought maybe my eyes did not have time to adjust properly.

Well, same thing happened on Tuesday. Odd, but still not cause for alarm.

Fast forward to Thursday and we were driving home from VC's track meet and my eyes were flashing and there was a huge floater in the middle of my field of vision.

I told VC that he had better stop asking if he could go see his girlfriend as I had already said no and my eye was completely wonky.

Thursday night I started doing some research on the interwebs and started getting that uneasy feeling that you get when you realize your retina may possibly be torn and that to be on the safe side I had better schedule a doctor visit for Friday.

So Friday after school, I went to the eye doctor, who excitedly showed me the picture of my eye, with the hemorrhage behind the eyeball and parts of the inner layer of the eye floating around. The diagnosis: Posterior Vitreous Detachment. Luckily my retina was fully intact. He asked if I had done anything new recently and then all of a sudden my eyes lit up - the Pilates!!  We do a lot of head movements and many of them put pressure on the head and neck, as in the photo above. He said there was a good chance that is how this damage occurred, but said I was OK to continue.

I attended class this morning and spoke to the instructor after class and she agreed that many of the poses can put pressure on the eyes :-(

....which means I am going to take a self-imposed hiatus, and lift some weights in the meantime...

I'm sure that will be safer ;-)  but seriously, I am just got out my weight belt (circa 1991) and weight gloves...stay tuned...

I have a feeling I will soon be back to the only exercise I have done consistently for years: Walking!!!

P.S. Thank you for all your recommendations regarding the Matron of Honor dress. (My friend Lisa kindly reminded me that I am old and married so it is "matron") I have yet to even go to the store to look at them and time is of the essence!!! Not a big shopper especially for dresses I may never wear again which is why I'd better go with the least likely Matron of Honor looking dress...

9 comments:

angelcel said...

OMG, my poor love! This is terrible. You're sounding remarkably matter-of-fact about it all so I'm hoping the solution is a simple one. Sending you my love and best wishes xx

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

wow that is damn weird!
just curious - are you doing mat pilates or reformer? I do pilates and have never had this happen. I must being doing this shit all wrong. :-)

Rebecca Jo said...

I always say that exercise will kill ya :)

Glad you got it looked at though.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Yikes that sounds so scary!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You know what is funny about this? I googled it and all I could find was how to elevate floaters by pilates and yoga. I thought that was what caused this.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

That is weird. But my hubby had a detached retina without any trauma. So we know weird. Glad you are going to be alright.

fizzycat said...

Scarey.Glad your eye is ok.
Amazed about your husband planting the flowers to get the bees.
But yes can believe it have done it myself.Bees are so important.

Charlotte Klein said...

OMG! That's crazy! I had no idea this could happen as a result of pilates.

I got really nervous for you while reading this post. About a year and a half ago, I had retinal detachment and had to have surgery (lots of floaters) and it was scary. All better now, but yea... I always freak out where the eyes are concerned! XOXO

Charlotte Klein said...

Hope you're having a great week, Carma! XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...