Monday, January 7, 2013

Loose Change Equals *wait for it* *wait for it* REAL MONEY!

I have been selling some of my textbooks through the Amazon Marketplace. After the Amazon commission is deducted the remainder is shall we say, insubstantial. In order to counteract this I am (a) walking to the post office - good exercise plus it is not far (b) sometimes paying with loose change since media mail costs less than $4.00 and I don't feel like wrapping up coins in rolls and taking to the bank.

Normally, I pay at least part of it in bills and then supplement w/some change. The clerk at the post office is normally friendly in a sassy kind of way. Well, last week I paid with change and then - as luck would have it - he was there again today.

WELLLLLLL....from his body language and general demeanor it was clear he was pissed that I was paying the $2.89 (it was a small book) - in change.

I still remember years ago when we was in NYC, we went to one of those downtown Asian delis and I paid less than one dollar in cash and the guy was so ticked I was ready for him to throw it back at me.

PEOPLE, CASH IS CASH. As for this "public servant" whose salary I help support with my tax dollars, GET OVER IT. Do your job.

OK. I'm done.

8 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I looked at selling some stuff on Amazon and the profits margins look so small I'm not sure it's worth it.

And as you say cash is cash, and I often use any lose change I can get my hands on when I pay at the post office. It's a good way of getting rid of all that lose change!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

You could pay me $100 in change. I'll go to the bank and get a benjamin. Who cares - it's money!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Some people are just so disgruntled.

Slamdunk said...

The post office clerks here are scared to death of any bad customer feedback--it is some evaluation method that they have been under for the past year or so. They bend over backwards to help.

I'd have to rant as well if I experienced something like that--counting is really tough.

Jenn @ You know... that Blog? said...

Mind boggling. Did he have somewhere else to be? What difference does it make if you're paying in change or not?

Have you tried posting your text books on campus bulletin boards, or on Craig's List?

P.S. I haven't been around for a while - blog apathy got hold of me - but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things!

Lucy said...

Really? That is so sad, I use my change all the time!Some people really have "issues"

Charlotte Klein said...

People suck sometimes. I pay with loose change all the time. So it takes an extra minute to count... some people really need to relax.

eva lyford said...

our local grocery has self pay aisles where i dump off my change on groceries. Also fyi: amazon sells postage: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200472530

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...