Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Blog Worth Reading

Just posted this on Facebook and felt compelled to blog some more about it here: "Reading the blog of Aaron Swartz. Honestly never heard of the guy until today, although I did know of his Reddit site - As a fellow blogger, I am very inspired by his writings and can see why people are mourning his suicide at age 26 - tragic...Some of the most brilliant are often the most troubled."

Just read that at age 14 he helped create the RSS code - that people use when subscribing to our blogs, so for that alone, we bloggers owe him a debt of gratitude!

Aaron's blog I am referring to is called Raw Thought. On it he has a series called "Raw Nerve" - posts that reflect a lot of what is going on in his own mind - things he is struggling with.

I had planned to do a quick look-see at his blog and then return to my normally scheduled activities, but once I started reading those posts, they touched a very raw nerve of my own. It was incredibly motivational to read his thoughts on facing those things we are not the best at instead of running away towards what we are good at. *Scroll down to read his post about "Growth Mindset"

I've been tossing back and forth whether to deep six the medical direction I've been headed in, especially considering my single-sided profound hearing loss, which requires a special stethoscope- and beyond that, the difficulty I had in picking up listening to blood pressures to begin with, aside from my hearing loss.

What ever made me think I could succeed at something that requires hearing!!!  I have felt like a big failure seeing others picking up these medical procedures so quickly, while I feel old and slow :-(

Family/friends have asked what ever prompted me to go to this career path in the first place, since they see me as the rightbrained artsy type they were always familiar with. Why don't I try this or that or that instead...

But you know what? I'm not ready to give in yet.... Thanks Aaron :)

7 comments:

Lucy said...

I saw those RIP Aaron Swartz on Twitter and had no idea. Why do people choose suicide? That is so sad to me, to feel that is the only option, my heart aches for those who loved him they will feel his loss and wonder why forever.
Carma, you seem to struggle with what you want to do? I guess the question is "Did you do it for financial reasons?" Then so be it, we all have to do things sometimes to make money or "did you do it because you thought you might like it?" And, that is fine too, I try all kinds of things and they don't always pan out. But, I have to say I am happy with being me and trying, learning and adventuring. I know this will sound corny but I enjoy the journey. Maybe, you just need to venture into something else, unless you absolutely need the job and then well, you have to do what you have to do! Been there and done that too :)
I wish you the absolute best!!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

So sad. Keep working on what you want. I think that is great.

LL Cool Joe said...

It's very sad. What a waste.

You sound unsettled to me!!

Slamdunk said...

Hey, great minds think alike with the post topics. Yeah, his writings and thoughts are a captivating read. Sad loss.

Gemma said...

With my dad having fallen sick this past year, we've been in and out of hospitals and have been passed along by so many people in the medical field. I have a newfound appreciation for these people and can tell you honestly that the people who have the greatest effect in that field are the people who want to be there most. If you are having doubts, I certainly wouldn't judge you for making the difficult decision to stop and pursue something you'd rather do. Life truly is too short. Spend it doing things that make you happy!

Either way, sounds like we've all got your back! ;)

Gemma said...

Wanted to respond back to the comment you left on my blog. :)

I don't know about you, but I sometimes feel I'm at that age (also a product of the 80s) where I'm debating whether or not I'm too old to still be chasing my dreams. The problem is that there is a sacrifice we make when we settle to do things we may very well be extraordinary at.

I want to be a musician, but at my age, I don't see that replacing my office job with great salary and amaze-balls benefits. So I work. And I still play music. Best of both worlds.

Working in the health field and being a teacher are both extremely rewarding, so I can't imagine either one could be a bad decision! But yes, pursue what you love and aim to do what you enjoy every single day. That's what's important!

Hang in there and keep us posted!! <3

Charlotte Klein said...

Oh, that is just heartbreaking. I feel as though I've had my head in the sand for a while, so this is the first I've heard of this. Will definitely have to read his blot and thank him posthumously for creating res coding :)

We all struggle with these things but you have to remember why you started in the first place to really evaluate if this is right for you. You will figure it all out. I'm sure of it, Carma and we are all here to support you in the meantime!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...