Sunday, December 2, 2012

Flu Shot - Yay or Nay?

This is the first time in years that we have gone without flu shots. It is probably not the most opportune time since I am substitute teaching so much.

I seriously had no idea they would call this often but I'm taking the jobs since my health screening work is off for the month of December.

Which brings me back to the flu shot. I have seen a lot of what people think amounts to media propaganda pushing flu shots. The most recent article was about a few children who died of the flu a few years ago.

The more I read about the possible side effects of the flu shot preservatives, the more it makes me question the safety.

Coincidentally, or not, last Saturday I could barely get out of bed. I took my temperature and it was 101.6 degrees F. Now, I rarely ever get a fever. I am one of those whose temp normally runs below 98 - so this was unusual. Could it have been a mini-flu? Guess I'll never know, but I was back to normal by Monday.

But it got me to thinking about getting a flu shot. Or not.

What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

McVal said...

I don't think I've gotten the flu shot more than once... I should get the kids in tho.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I always get a flu shot.
Because when I don't I get it and then it goes to bronchitis.
Not fun.

Lucy said...

I have never gotten the flu shot but my parents have for years and when they babysat my kids a lot I had my kids the flu shot, for my parents protection. I would do what makes you feel comfortable!

Lauren E said...

In our house it's a yay. Betty is in daycare and the flu can be so dangerous for babies. I had the flu once years ago and felt like I was going to die. If I can do something to prevent my kid from feeling like that, I will.

I got it for the first time last year per my OB's suggestion and my husband got one too. We were both fine after. (And it was the first winter that my husband didn't get sick!)

Arlee Bird said...

I've gotten flu shots for the past several years since they are provided by my medical provider and they recommend that I should get them. I've had no bad side effects, though sometimes I can help but wonder if some sinister government plot is underfoot. Oh well, they'll get me one way or another.

Lee
A Faraway View

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...