Monday, December 10, 2012

Blimey!!

I think I may have insulted our new neighbor who moved here from London. As she was speaking, I detected a bit of a Jersey accent underneath her British accent. Sure 'nuff. She hailed from NJ originally, much like this Jersey Girl, but I could tell that she firmly identified w/Britain - having lived there for 15 years.

It always surprises me when people who are born and raised in one area, move to another - and subsequently take on a whole new accent. Think Madge when she adopted her British accent after spending some - emphasis on "some" - time in Britain.

Having lived in the South for nearly 20 years now, people can still tell that I am a Yankee.

I may have adopted some of the colloquial expressions from the area e.g. "all y'all,"get me some," etc. but my dialect remains firmly Jersey.

Have you come across this before? Did you move somewhere and now have a completely different accent? What are your thoughts on Madge (aka Madonna)?

**my giveaway is still going on - through Friday - please scroll down and enter!**

6 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I've noticed my beloved Kylie Minogue is sounding more and more British every day.

Madonna did develop a strong British accent when she was with Guy Ritchie but she's back to sounding American now I think. :D

Kelly Robinson said...

My mother used to talk with a Filipino accent when our neighbor from the Philippines would visit. It was so embarrassing! She's just extremely susceptible, though, and some people are just that way. (We could also tell who she was talking to on the phone by the sound of her voice.)

Lucy said...

Being from Ohio we don't really have the accent problem, you all seem to have an accent not us LOL. I guess it is natural to pick up on an accent when living in an area day in and day out over a long period of time,right?

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

My mom is from Britain. I don't hear her accent anymore but everyone else does. It does become thicker after she talks to my Nana.

I haven't been getting your updates through Friend connect. I'm subscribing through yahoo now.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I hated when Madonna did that. But then again I am not her biggest fan either.

I lived in Ohio for a few years and I picked up that long vowel sound they make. It annoyed the shit out of me when i moved there and then found myself doing it after I lived there. Instead of saying Bob they would say Bawb. It was a weird accent.

I can turn on the southern one since living here but I will never ever speak that way!! NEVER.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

I'm in the South with a Midwest accent!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...