Saturday, October 27, 2012

College Tours Have Begun!

Yesterday we spent the day touring two universities in our fine state. And let me tell you, it was exhausting!

I will not name college names because then I'll feel like crap for dissing them since both had a couple "interesting" aspects of their tours. And you never know, VC may do a 180 and apply to both.

VC wasn't that fired up about either college, or the idea of college in general for that matter ;-) but I am sure that we will eventually find one to his liking even if I have to establish the college myself....

Unusual thing about the first college:  there is a mandatory winter session where students take such courses as the history of presidential assassinations, the study of Harry Potter books and an equivalent Twilight-type course having to do with the study of vampire books. Now I don't know about you but if I was spending $40K a year on college I'd be dang sure my student was taking courses that would enhance potential employment opportunities upon graduation!!!! These seemed like the equivalent of Basket Weaving 101.

Other than that, the campus was nice, and most importantly the pool had a diving board. (VC has a strict list of required amenities)...

Then it was off to the second campus located a hour away. As soon as we set foot in the admissions area, I got the vibe that I should be wearing a smoking jacket.

It was very buttoned-down, old boys club formal. Some of the parents were wearing suits. As you know from my blog, that is about the farthest thing from our "scene."

VC was getting some bad vibes. And this is a prestigious university with an insanely high tuition. Parents were to remain in the auditorium and we received an interesting lecture by one of their bio professors regarding rising obesity rates. I only fell asleep 4 times. That was mainly due to my own exhaustion, not the quality of the lecture. Still, it was odd.

When VC emerged from his student room, he said that they spent the hour discussing death, as his group was assigned to a Philosophy professor.

I'm not sure that this type of lecture format is the way to get kids excited about college, unless it was part of the weeding out process intended to scare away those who are not overly academic.

Long story short, I can breathe a sigh of relief not having to pay $58K a year tuition that I don't have...

Fun times!

And now I will gently steer him in the direction of our fine, affordable state schools...

3 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

VC will know it when he gets to the right fit.
In the mean time have fun people watching.

McVal said...

YIKES!!! $58 grand for death talks?? You can get that at the local diner...
We've been doing college visits too and now both girls (1 is still 5 years away) want to go to a Christian college in our fellowship in Minnesota. They're smitten with it and I think, with the idea of the best root beer in the world being brewed in that town...
But as for my senior, it will be an excellent fit for her. AND it's less than $20 grand per year. With her ACTs she can knock off 1/3 of it too.

Charlotte Klein said...

What?! Seriously?? Is this what's happening in colleges across the country now? I can't believe that vampire books are now required reading! Crazy. But yea, that second university sounds really stuffy.

Best of luck finding the right fit! I'm sure you and VC will get there, momma :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...