Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Juggling Convention - and More!

It's been a hectic week...which is not much change from the rest of the summer. VC, back in town from Costa Rica, had a juggling convention to attend. I drove up and back the first two days but then decided that getting home after 1:00 am was getting exhausting, only to have to turn around and go back the next day - so I permitted VC to stay at a hotel with 4 other jugglers the next few days.

I just about went into full-on panic mode Friday morning. I received a call from my friend at the convention. It was almost 12:45 in the afternoon. As we were about to hang up she said, "Everybody is asking about VC. No one has seen him all morning." In a high-pitched voice I said "Where is heeeeeee??" at which time she told me she had to go because her son was calling on the other line. (She never got the chance to tell me that the other members of his group were also not there.)

After several frantic minutes where I tried to call the only person from the room whose number I had, come to find out I had transposed the digits, VC finally picked up his phone. (I had been trying to reach him all morning but he was fast asleep.) He had gotten back to the hotel at 5 am that morning. Jugglers do not keep the best track of time or get to bed at a reasonable hour I can see....

This is something I know I need to work on. My ability to imagine the worst possible scenario, wherein I had  VC wandering around the town at night unable to find the  hotel and that someone had snatched him up.

The reason this was the first thing to come to mind was that he called me at 2:00 am the night before (thinking it was 12:00 since he didn't see the '1') and he said they had not yet gone back to the hotel. I was worried the other guys may not have seen him and had already left for the hotel and that VC would have no idea how to get back.

So you see, it was a plausible situation - him never making it back to the hotel. I'm not crazy ;-)

Anyway, long story short, the convention was spectacular. VC got to meet many of his juggling 'heros'.

He also won a medal in the infinite suicide endurance competition with the diabolo. Here we are with his friend and fellow medalist Paul.


Another huge highlight of the week was meeting Eric from the Diabology videos that VC purchased when he was 9 years old. He learned much of what he knows from the videos. Eric is an incredibly talented performer and all around nice guy. He came over from France to perform with his group Cie Ea Eo. It was an energizing performance that VC is still raving about.

Here's VC with another inspiration, diabolist extraordinaire Matt Hall, and Eric Longequel.

Sometimes those who have made an impact in your childhood never get to hear that so it is always an honor to get to meet your inspirations and let them know how much they've influenced your talents!

As you can see I was just as excited as VC was!

In other non-juggling news, I have an interview scheduled for Thursday. More to come on that as well as the situation with my hearing, or lack of hearing which will affect how I use the stethoscope :-(

4 comments:

McVal said...

Can't help you once it's posted. I'd probably just rotate it on your computer and reload it.

As for VC's adventure. YIKES! That would just about freak me out too!
I'm glad he was ok.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Good Luck on the interview!

Charlotte Klein said...

Awww, I'm so glad that everything turned out okay with VC. Of course you'll worry. You're a mommy and it's what moms do best (so I'm told by my own mum who still likes to ask me 101 questions like I'm all of 14).

Glad he was able to meet so many of his juggling inspirations. That's so incredibly awesome!

Also best of luck on the interview. What's going on with your hearing, momma?? XOXO and hope everything turns out okay.

Unknown Mami said...

I think I would have freaked in that situation too. Sometimes you can't help going to worst case scenario. SO glad it wasn't that at all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...