Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Griff: A Book Review

I promise this place will not be transforming into Graphic Novel Central - but I do want to post a review with the help of my 15-year old VC, who also read this latest novel, The Griff. Knowing his love of graphic novels, I signed up for the review with him in mind.

[caption id="attachment_5671" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The Griff - A Graphic Novel"][/caption]
As soon as I received the book in the mail I tossed it in his room and he finished half the book the first night without my having to nag - if that doesn't speak volumes about the book, I don't know what does.

Getting a teen to read over the summer is no easy task. Here's what he had to say about this story where giant dragonlike creatures take over the world and it is up to a group of misfits, including a hip chick, to help save the planet from complete destruction:

"I wonder if the author has written any more graphic novels, since this one was pretty awesome." Then he pondered why woman typically aren't wearing much when it comes to end of the world books.

There is some adult language in the book but nothing a teen doesn't hear every day ;-) Of course, I'm referring to on the street!!

I enjoyed the artwork and layout of the book, not to mention the action words: Boom, Screeeeeeeeeee, Braap, Snapp....

Written by NYT Bestselling author Christopher Moore and Ian Corson, the book is a fun escape. I read it while VC was at diving practice and it kept me enthralled. BTW, the creatures in the book are called The Griff because they look like the Griffins from mythology.

While reading, I was jealous of the hip young chick because she got to dress all funky like I used to dress *sigh* Learning that I may need to remove my nose piercing when I enroll in school come fall has me totally depressed. I know I'm being childish, but still...I may need to re-read the book to keep my mind of things...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...