Thursday, May 26, 2011

I'm a Quitter Baby, So Why Don't You Kill Me....

Apologies to Beck for butchering his lyrics .... I just wanted to let everyone know that I have decided to drop out of summer school and possibly switch majors and re-start again in the fall. My third option is to find a get rich quick work-at home scam on the internet.

Trying to take Physiology & Anatomy I & II online - each part in 4 week sessions where you are basically expected to memorize the book = CRA-ZY!! There was no lecture time. Just the book and a schedule of tests.

It has been almost 20 years since my last degree - and ramping it up to this extent overnight was insane. My major required that I had to have the course completed before the fall semester. My eyes were glazing over and I just was not holding my interest.

I've heard that the in-class sessions with lecture are easier, but then you have to deal with the cat dissection. It is a catch 22.

I'm going to take the summer to think things over, but that doesn't help the fact that I am now without a job and without school :-O)

What have I done?????? I tossed and turned all night and my anxiety was OUT OF CONTROL. Did I make the right decision? I'm honestly not sure, but I had to act fast to be able to get 75% of my money back and avoid a potential "W" on my transcript if I had decided to withdraw later. I'm not good with quick decisions.

I spoke to one of the PTA department heads and she agreed I was making a very rational decision - and that I can always re-apply next year when I'm 92. I'm sure a lot of the students get by by looking at their books while taking the tests but I figured there was no way that would prepare me for the more challenging courses to come in the PTA program.

To be honest, I've had misgivings all along as to whether the degree was a good "fit" for me, especially when I kept finding out things that freaked me out, like when my friend said she knew of someone who was a PTA who had to put vicks vapo-rub in her nostrils because the smell of some of the people's feet was gag-worthy. Guess I should have heeded the signs that kept popping up. But nooooooooooooooooooooo... I figured I had to finish what I started.

Oh well, what's done is done. And I lost 2-1/2 pounds in one day from stress. Not that I am trying to lose any weight, but that will give you some insight into the degree I stress about things!!!!

If you have any suggestions as to a degree I might be suited for - or a job you think I would be fabulous at, please let me know. (My previous degree was in Business Admin: Marketing.)

I don't like feeling like a failure :-(

Please don't feel the need to tell me otherwise in the please do comments.
-----------------------------------------------
P.S. MB called at 7:40 am to say he had already chatted up the people at the local coffee shop. It is one of those college-town coffee shops with lots of traffic unlike my job at "the morgue" - he thinks I would have a blast at a "relatively" stress-free job where I can interact with people all day. I may explore it. After all, it's not like I've got anything lined up (idiot!) ....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...