Saturday, April 30, 2011

It's Gonna Be a Wild Bumpy Ride

It's official. I went to my orientation the other night and I will soon be a forty-something college student. I had a case of major cold feet but moving right along....

I arrived early for the meeting. At that time there were only 4 other students in the room. Three of them were your typical student-types but the fourth was this burly guy with bleached blonde shoulder length hair begging for a trim, wearing a tank top that showed off his tattoo sleeve, shorts and NO SHOES. Odd, but whatever....

The instructor asked if there were two strong guys available to help her move a table into the room - so he volunteered and pranced out with bare feet. I heard her say something to him about it and he replied, "yeah, I've got something in my foot that is workin' it's way out and it hurts for me to wear shoes." Remember, my major is in the medical field. I'll not be going into further specifics because I don't want this blog to be found by my professors. Face recognition software already has me freaking out. As soon as the dude walked out the guy next to me shook his head an burst out laughing, which was rude but you know that's what everyone was thinking...

Eventually the room filled up and I looked around hoping for some more "elder students." Here's the breakdown: 85% cute perky girls in their mid-twenties with pony tails, about 7 guys, and then 4 of us in my age group, including the guy with the tank top and tattoos.

Still formulating a plan to stay awake without napping during the day so that I can compete with these young things...

Here's where it gets funny. We had to walk to the front of the room and sign our names in on the attendance sheet and pick up our huge stack of forms <---- fun, fun!!

Barefoot guy goes to the front of the room immediately to sign in. When I signed in I glanced to the top of the list to see his name written in all caps with this next to it :" "PLEASE CALL ME [a number]" -- I'm not gonna say what number in case that is his official name that he googles or something - but anyway, for purposes of the blog I'll call him Number 5. Seriously, who does that???

We'll be needing to wear tank tops and spandex pants to the lab because she said we will be getting all "touchy feely." Praying that my lab partner is not NUMBER FIVE. :-O

I went and picked up some tank tops last night as well as the white polo shirts we are required to wear as part of our uniform. I will say that I'm really getting into it, specifically the wardrobe part!! The learning part I'm not as excited about...

It remains to be seen if I will be able to buckle down and compete two years of workload at an intense pace.

You've read my blog....It is a wonder that I tested in so easily....

As the instructor was walking around handing out stuff, one of the students, an adorable young girl - could be a model - asks her if she recommends that the she re-take physiology and anatomy because it's been a while since she took it - this girl was all of 23.

And here I am pulling teeth trying to get every last one of my credits from 20+ years ago transferred in. Now those classes are OLD as DIRT but you won't be hearing me asking if I can take any of them over again!!!!

Realizing this little foray back into the educational system will provide me with lots of blog fodder at the very least. Stay tuned to see if I crash and burn.....Everybody loves a train wreck :D

Enjoy this beautiful weekend!!

I'll be boning up on my excel and power point in an attempt to test out of a required computer class. Fingers crossed. I'm no excel whiz.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Burly dude with bleached blonde hair sounds totally adorable (with or without shoes). :) HA!

Anyway, best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...