Friday, December 10, 2010

Giving Up the Hook

About 6 months ago a graduate student contacted me and several other bloggers about doing a research study - the psychological kind - about the nature of bloggers. We had to answer a series of questions, one of which was: do you edit your photos so you look better before you post them to your blog? Of course, I answered "no" - because I honestly don't tweak them at all. But one thing I do is crop off my head - as in this case where I was having a bad hair/makeup day.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="354" caption="A 10 Hour Ruffled Scarf - Skill Level "Easy""]Photobucket[/caption]

I still wanted you to see the scarf I have spent 10 hours working on. I know it does not look like a 10 hour scarf, or even an attractive a scarf for that matter.

Here's the back story (do you have a pillow handy?):

On Tuesday night I was working on my laptop at home. When it was time to pack it up, the battery cord was still plugged in the wall. I glanced over and thought, "I really should pack that now before I forget it - and then said to myself, nah, of course I'll remember it, why make such a Herculean effort now when I can wait and unplug it later."

Well, come Wednesday morning, I arrived at work, set up my laptop and got a sinking feeling when I saw the "low battery, charge now to save your work- hit F1 key" message. I had a loooooooooong day ahead of me. As many of you know, I work at a job where there is very little human contact and I can sit for hours by myself with zero activity. My laptop has been my mental lifesaver at work....

So there I was with two options that I had packed in my bag of tricks:

(1) write Christmas cards or
(2) crochet

The scarf you see was supposed to be a crocheted camisole top to be worn over a tank top. Until I looked at the pattern. Hence, it turned into a scarf.

I started crocheting - realized within the second hour that I was crocheting the scarf incorrectly, but since I was "so far" in - that I'd continue anyway. It was looking similar to the photo even with the incorrect stitching.

I literally crocheted for 7+ hours. Went home to see what VC thought, and then realized the scarf was about 4 feet longer than it was supposed to be. Before you think I'm an ignorant moron (I am) - it is one of those scarfs that is supposed to go down to mid-thigh. Mine practically hit the floor.

There was only one solution, well two really, if you count ripping it out and starting over -- that being to double it up and stitch the scarf together so that it would be twice as thick but 1/2 in length.

Add on another 4 hours doing that - and you arrive at the scarf in the picture.

Which is what led me to this conclusion: I have no business crocheting.

How is your week going?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...