Monday, October 4, 2010

In Defense of Not Purchasing Popcorn

This weekend VC's juggling partner dropped him off at home after their workday at RenFest.  It was Bale and Bench Day, where the cast spruces up the festival grounds in prep for opening weekend.  I got a kick out of VC giving his partner the run down of the options they could choose, beginning with "killing anthills."  Anyway, so I stepped onto the front porch to talk with them, at which time I spotted a cute cub scout pulling his wagon of popcorn.  His dad was standing in the street as he would go up to the houses.

Since we were knee deep in discussion about their act, the father and son bypassed our house, or so I thought...  About 10 minutes later, I was inside when the bell rang.

I just knew it!!  MB and VC had sicked the cute cub scout on me rather than telling him we already had a boatload of popcorn.

I opened the door and he gave me his cute speech, at which time I blurted out "we already grow our own popcorn plants, but thank you blah blah blah."

As he walks away, VC's juggling partner looks at me aghast:  You didn't buy any popcorn!!!!!

I felt like crap, until I explained to him that we do, in fact, grow popcorn plants and we have more than a year's supply of popcorn in 12" tall jars in the pantry.

I'm sure the dad of the cub scout was thinking, "riiiiiiiiiigggghhhhht" because he heard what I said and looked at me with somewhat of a smirk.  But it was the honest to goodness truth. Although we live on a tiny lot in the middle of the suburbs, we do, in fact, grow popcorn.

Here's VC with the popcorn in the spring.  (He was about 5 foot 10 inches tall at the time so you can estimate how tall the popcorn was.)

Photobucket

and here it is in the pantry - the bottom of the jars are cut off by the stuff in front of it. Trust me, it is a lotta popcorn!!

[caption id="attachment_3411" align="aligncenter" width="440" caption="Need Some Popcorn?"][/caption]

I'm still feeling a little guilty about not making a purchase of overpriced popcorn, but I noticed that several of the neighbors did, so I'll cut myself some slack.

Have you ever declined to purchase from a cute kid selling stuff and then spent the day wracked with guilt???

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...