Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'd Like a Do Over on Yesterday Please

I'm going to intersperse other stuff between the whining so this does not appear to be a whiny blog post; stuff meaning: things nobody cares about.

The day began with an early morning trip to the dentist for a fitting of my new night guard -- woo-hooooo!! All was well until the dentist realized the material was so thin I would wear through it in a month's time, which meant getting another mold made- UGH. If you've never had the "pleasure" of having a mold made - it means a huge molded form is put in your mouth that is filled with what appears to be a thick cement like substance. It it then pushed up against your teeth to the point where if you are like me, you start gagging and your eyes watering. It is held in place until it firms up which feels like a gagging eternity...

That was fun. Again.

On the way home, I dropped VC off at his new school, where he is helping over the summer with the tech crew. Can't get the boy to do a blessed thing at home and yet he volunteers over 15 hours to help set up the computers at his school. hmmmmm.....how does that happen?

Meantime I headed home to do some computer tech work of my own. I had my suspicions that installing my new security software update (Kaspersky 2010 - which is my "Ft. Knox") would be a bear -- but had NO IDEA that the process would take over 5-1/2 hours....Due to a glitch, it was impossible to remove the 09 software. After seeing the dreaded blue screen (aka your computer may crash at any second) twice -- and putting it into safe mode to remove several files (as advised by the Kaspersky rep) by 6:30 last night I had found Kaspersky success!!!

Of course, the day was pretty shot by then...Which left a new ATS (American Tribal Style) dance class that I was trying for the first time before signing up. It is a variation of the tribal style I learned in my previous class.

The girl I was carpooling with drives like Mario Andretti - on a busy highway tailgating at 80 mph. I was already frazzled even BEFORE the class started. I was thinking 'please don't let me be found dead on the highway in my tribal costume with decorative arm cuff'...

Long story short: I was a fish out of water and, ok, I'll be honest, totally sucked.

Normally when this happens I run the other direction and pick up a new hobby as fast as I can, but I'm going to try not to be too discouraged. I guess it was embarrassing because the head of the studio (and my Technique Class instructor) was also there taking the class and got to witness firsthand my "dancing."

I'm ready to bury my head in the sand. But, instead I'll consider it Life Lesson #3: When your new pursuit gives you a beat down, resist the urge to run away and go back to prove to yourself that you can do it (kinda sorta)...

And the Worst Part of the day? I didn't get to read any blogs. Not one.

But enough about me, how was your yesterday: Do Over or Just Perfect?

P.S. Is proper grammar "of yesterday" in the title??

P.P.S. Last day to enter my giveaway. It's not big but hey, it's a giveaway. And it's free to enter!

35 comments:

blueviolet said...

That dance class title is so intriguing...very curious about this, miss Carma!

Who would expect you to have the moves on the first night? Not I!

Unknown Mami said...

I think there is no shame in not being good at something the first time you try.

strokeofliving said...

Do overs are cool, or at lest they would be if they existed. So I'd be for that missy!

Oh, [rated'X' warning] my dental hygienists' assistant always told me that I'd make a horrible call girl because of my gag reflex. LOL. So I feel your pain. I hate getting teeth molds.

Salt said...

I get the feeling that a lot of us needed a do-over after yesterday. But can it not be Monday again? I don't want to go back to the whole 5 days of work this week thing.

Even if your class didn't go well, at least you got in there and tried it! It will get better! Especially if you don't catch at ride with crazy driver next time. That sounds unnerving.

angelcel said...

The danece class is good - stick with it. But a freaky [Mario Andretti wannabe] driver? Reconsider that one. I care about you and would prefer that you're safe on the 'to' and 'fro'.

The computer stuff? It *always* eats up life that we will never get back, that's a 'given'. There is a fiendish plan going on here to do with this - I just haven't figured out what it is yet.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I'm sure you were fine at dance class. Give yourself a break.

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

Monday was so-so for me, I would like a do over for my diet (but, I am really hard on myself when it comes to eating). :-)

Lucy said...

Good for you for staying and better for you for the willingness to continue!!!

Kids always help outside of the house!!

My Monday was super duper long too!

NIKOL said...

I'm quite enjoying your Life Lessons. And I love that you're taking this dance class, despite some struggles.

Will Burke said...

If the paramedics find you dressed like that, there's no telling what ward you'll wake up in.

Multiple personalities.. said...

I think it's good advice to not quit just because your first time at something totally sucked. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll eventually get very good at it. I certainly hope today was better for you.

Pocketful of Bliss

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Monday was crazy busy for me personally, but not as frustrating as your Monday.

Kristina P. said...

I hate life lessons, along with Karma. But not you, Carma. :)

buffalodick said...

You will look back, and realize how much you learned..and that's important!

Where the Fur Flies said...

My yesterday was good. I'd like a mulligan on today.

I like your life lessons.

Where the Fur Flies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alessandra said...

Sorry but I can't help with grammar ;)
Oh, and the lesson, great!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

I couldn't get past the mouth mold part. I hate those things...I have a horrible gag reflex, which makes that process torture for me.
I hope the dance class goes well. Good for you for not giving up!
Yesterday was okay...I'd like Do Over's on several recent days, though.

M-Cat said...

I would in fact, like a do over on yesterday.

I wasn't on my game.

mac said...

It's like the others here have said, Don't worry too much about not being perfect your first time out.
When I was coming up through TKD, I had to take a pretest for my BlackBelt in front of the 11th degree Grand Master, Jhoon Rhee...the man responsible for bringing he TKD to the US all those years ago!
Well, guess what? Yes, I totally made a mistake on one of the intermediate forms (huge mistake!) . I noticed him lean in to whisper something to the 7th degree Master who had assured him I was ready to advance.

After the four hour testing ordeal was over, I apologized for wasting their time. All Master Rhee said was "Nice power in those kicks, Sir. Work on that form, and you'll be a fine BlackBelt". A month later when the actual test took place, I was more than ready.


Had I not made that mistake, I might never have had the man who taught Bruce Lee how to kick with power tell me how strong my kicks looked :-)

Slamdunk said...

Perhaps you were unhappy with your performance at the dance class because you were suffering from motion sickness due to the reckless carpooling adventure.

Maybe you will be happier after the second try. But I guess that plays into your #3 recommendation anyway.

I hope things go better the rest of the week.

Tracie said...

I can't even remember what I did yesterday other than lay awake tossing and turning last night.

I was horrible at Zumba for the first month. (or two) I'm glad I didn't give up on it.

Marie said...

Hehe that crazy driver sounds like me ;) Only I don't drive on the highways much so most people are safe. You should keep trying the class. When I took tai-chi I wasn't so sure the first few classes, but then I came to like it (even though I looked like a fool).

"Of" is correct :P lol I'm a grammar nazi

Lisa said...

I hate when they stick that crap in your mouth for the mold! UGH!

I like do overs...wish we could use them on many things. I would have done over Sunday.

I bet dance was good and your just hard on yourself.

JennyMac said...

Keep at it Misses, we all have to learn new things and I love that you are doing that.

Jill of All Trades said...

It's okay to whine. We're hear to listen, ur read. Dancing...ICK! Forced into it myself.

McVal said...

So why are you wearing that outfit if you wouldn't be caught dead in it?

Yankee Girl said...

I am so glad you made it out of the car alive!

Yesterday was great for me. It involved drinking a lot of wine...

Randi Troxell said...

yes.. wouldn't that take the cake- to be found in the road.. with your uniform on... dead. nonetheless!

that would SO be my luck!

Aunt Juicebox said...

I'm sure you did better than you think! And don't give up! It was your first class. You should see me messing around with my pipes - I totally STINK, but I'm still trying. lol

Totally off topic here - I went to Melissa's house one day last week to pick up her son, and guess what she had? A big barrel of Utz cheese balls!! I couldn't get a pic without her knowing what I was doing though, sorry.

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said...

DO overs allowed. Sez me.

As for mouth nightguard, sounds sex-ay (says someone who sleeps with a giant apnea contraption). Tres hot!

JP said...

I don't want to pile on the whining but...Bags packed, ready to head out to the airport, 1.5 hours before the armored convoy leaves..sandstorms The trip home will be delayed a few days..as they say outhtis way inshallah

Debbie said...

I'd like a do over from yesterday as well. And like you, I didn't get to be online at all!

Melissa B. said...

Hmmmmmm, American Tribal Style...sounds edgy! And, BTW, I drive like Mario Andretti...perhaps we should meet sometime?

Amanda said...

I think its great that you are TRYING! You never regret that do ya?

:)

Blessings-
Amanda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...