Friday, May 28, 2010

Well, I'll Be!!!

I learned something today that was tantamount to hearing there is no such thing as the Easter Bunny.

I finally got around to taking the Element to the dealer concerning the recent recall on brake pedals. I seriously thought for years that the way the pedal sunk to the ground after a few minutes at a stoplight was a special feature of the braking system :Dphotocredit mooganic

Anyelement, I'm not gonna mention who I learned this info from-- but let's just say I found out that the service advisors and mechanics both get a cut of the cost of the service. Since this was a recall issue, it was probably handled differently than a regular repair, but still - my interest was piqued.

In hindsight, it explains a lot -- like the day last year when the service advisor insisted on replacing a part that was defective on the side of the passenger seat by himself instead of writing up a service ticket for the mechanics. I was extremely miffed - especially after he broke two of the prongs off the new part that he was installing :-(

Me being The Human Doormat, I did not express my displeasure. I should have. Looking back, I'm sure he wanted all of the commission for himself and he therefore did not involve the mechanics who probably would have installed it properly without breaking the new part.

Am I the last one to discover this??? I already despise getting my car serviced but now I'm gonna hate it even more thinking of the vultures licking their chops every time I come in for service.

And now I'm even more frustrated that I do NOT make commission at my job; a job that is normally associated with commissions.

Sunnyside, Carma. Look at the sunnyside. Oh right, 3 days to sleep in. Sleeping is underrated. Already anticipating plenty of teeth grinding and drooling. eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww....

Enjoy the long weekend everybody!! And thank you veterans!

17 comments:

Mommyof2girlz said...

It's a racket I tell ya!

M-Cat said...

Oy vey - everything about mechanics makes me cringe! That and dealership

Unknown Mami said...

It is a racket! I hate getting my car serviced.

Big Mama Cass said...

SHeeesh! That is madness!!!

Hope your three days are restful... what a pain :(

FabuLeslie said...

I learned of it 2 years ago when my honda civic was on its last leg in its 14th year of service to me. I really pushed back on what I wanted, and the guy started thinking he could get me to buy a new car sooner than I was ready, so he tried to push me into that. I know he would have gotten a commission on either thing, so I had to seek outside help in making my choices. Ugh.

mac said...

Yes Ma'am.
Many mechanics take advantage of their customers who are ignorant to the automotive game.

Find a guy you can trust and stick with him. Sometimes flirting helps ;-)

Herding Cats said...

This is why I make my boyfriend handle all my car's failings. I feel like mechanics take advantage!

Katie Gates said...

Enjoy your sleep this weekend! When I'm looking forward to long sleeping opportunities, I always remember the words of Fran Lebowitz: "Sleep is death without the responsibility." (from her essay, "Why I Love Sleep")

Lucy said...

Oh, once the trust is broken it is all over, in any relationship, time for you to find a new dealership to service your car!

Enjoy the weekend, once I get through Saturday, I am heading into the home stretch!!!

buffalodick said...

I've reached an age where I have fixed it myself, and know what it takes.. bull crap is easily found. and they hate me!

Tracie said...

I never did trust the repair shops.

Hope you have a great weekend!

dogsmom said...

If you are anwhere near central WI, I can recommend the best HONDA mechanic. Trust him with my life, and the life of those I love (including my Hondas.) No- I am not related to him.
HOWEVER - right now my Honda van is being held hostage by an unknown "mechanic" since I was irresponsible and did not insist it go in for its designated mileage checkup. (You know, every few hundred thousand miles.) I was not driving the van when its demise occured. (writing thru tears.)
I DID know about the service rep getting his commission, but a reputable dealer or shop will not raise your costs because of it.

Now I will go stare at the empty spot on my driveway.

Slamdunk said...

Wow, that is a lousy experience.

Having a mechanic that you can trust is right up there with having a best friend who owns a house on the beach in a warm place.

A few years ago, we were a few days away from family trip and the brakes on my car alerted me that there was a prob. I was not able to get the car to he old-timer mechanic that I had developed a trusting relationship with (he was in another town), so I took the problem to a chain repair place.

They identified what I knew was the problem fixed it and then called me with the "we found something else wrong with your car, why we have it here, you want us to take care of this dangerous problem now, right?"

Fortunately, I was confident regular mechanic would have noticed something like that so I refused to let them "fix it." The guy knew he was screwed and tried harder, but I still said no.

A few weeks later, back from my vacation and regular mechanic took a look at the supposed emergency issue--he confirmed that there was nothing else that needed repair. At least I did not get scammed that time, and local cheating repair shop went out of business 6 months later.

In any event, enjoy your weekend and sorry for the long car repair scam comment.

Christina said...

What a rip off!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

I don't trust repair shops. And that says a lot considering my husband's family owns a car dealership.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Carma, you know from your stats, the person that's been here a few hours, while GJ watches the Grand Prix, that's me catching up, right?!

My, you are looking good in your videos, the belly dancing cossies and the yoga gear - You put my bloggers' bloat to shame, girl!

As for disastrous in-laws - Mine were Marxist/Stalinists, cue lots of family arguments at Christmas, and the fact that his mom did not approve of marriage...

My sis-in-law's first set of out-laws had a family crest they'd made themselves. I recall it featuring in icing on her wedding cake, in a flag that they'd run up a pole in the garden, and on rings which he and his sister wore - Pretentious and a little sad in their case...

As for your sweet bruxism, I've only just found out that my years' long habit of nibbling my lower lip can be a symptom of OCD - Yikes!

Still, you always make me feel a little better about my madness, as you're such a talented (with an under-rated ass, no less!) being! Love you x

denise said...

totally agree with slamdunk on the importance of a mechanic you trust...and no, i don't have one...i usually just play two off each other...like call the other and say "well so and so said they would do this same service for X amount..." and i also say "my father-in-law lives out of town but he is a mechanic so i want to run what you want to do by him" and then i call him and repeat it all word for word so i at least feel like they have to think about being honest if someone may be listening...i've gotten out of changing a few extra filters this way at least but probably not much more :) interesting to know, though!

just wanted to add do NOT underrate sleep...with two small children and rarely getting enough of this myself, i would LOVE to sleep in one of these days...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...