Sunday, May 9, 2010

Some Mother's Day Thoughts

Last night I saw this lovely comment that was left by someone who obviously does not have a good relationship with his mom, on my youtube channel.

Here it is:

"ha u do diabolo with u shit son you are both crap at daiboloing ha ha ha twat" It made me sad. I'm almost tempted to respond back and ask what kind of relationship he shares with his mom and that she must be so proud. But I won't. For now. I'm above trash talking a teenager. I think.

VC and I share a special bond and I doubt this loser can say the same about his relationship with his mom or he would not be trashing other moms.

On a brighter note, at our last recital, I noticed that a guy is taking belly dance classes at the second location of the studio I attend.


It doesn't come naturally to him and it kind of awkward to watch, but I admire his determination. The girls in my group were wondering if he lost a bet or something. But I have a feeling it is just something he wanted to try. In that respect, he and I are kindred spirits!!

One of the moms of a dancer was seated behind me at rehearsal and had on a grin and was rolling her eyes when he was performing. She struck me as one of those moms who tries to be "picture perfect" at all times and was quite beautiful, but when she tried to catch my eye to get a rise of out of me about his performance, I wasn't having it. Lord knows, I'm plenty awkward at dancing myself and I applaud anyone, especially a guy, who has the cajones to step out and do this.

At intermission, I overheard someone talking to his mom and she was just brimming with pride, saying that when people ask her which dancer she is related to, she said, "The boy. He's mine."

It was the sweetest thing how proud this mom was of her son. Proud. Not Embarrassed, but proud. I wanted to take him aside and congratulate him, but I was quickly dragged upstairs to do a rehearsal with my group before our performance. I'll try to do this the next time.

On this Mother's Day, be proud of whatever pursuits your kids take joy in - unless it is leaving rude comments on youtube channels, in that case give them a smack upside the head for me ;-)

Happy Mother's Day to all my bloggy friends!!!

30 comments:

Joann Mannix said...

Simply beautiful! We have a boy in my daughter's ballet class. He works hard even though he's not the most graceful kid. But, I always make a point of telling him what a great dancer he is after practice. I've talked to his mom several times and she is so proud of him and his efforts.

I abhor anyone who pokes fun at others because they are daring to become...We should all step outside that box more often.

And shame on your commenter. Ignoramus.

smArtee said...

Happy Mothers day Pretty lady...!

Herding Cats said...

You have such a great point here. I think it's sad when moms don't embrace all healthy interests that their children bring to the table.

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

awww, what a sweet post Carma! Good for you not participating in that mean lady's juvenile antics and making fun of him. I'm so tired of people like that...if only more folks were like you.

Happy Mother's Day to you Carma, one of the most wonderful bloggy moms I know!

blueviolet said...

I always try to remember that too. That awkward child is somebody's special little boy.

Happy Mother's Day, Carma!

Unknown Mami said...

I'm proud of that woman's son too! And I'm proud of you for being supportive. You are my kind of people. I love people who challenge the norms and themselves. They should be applauded, not ridiculed. Someone's gotta be a trail blazer.

Happy Mother's Day!

Kristina P. said...

Mother's Day is a hard time for me. My mom and I don't have a very good relationship, and I wish I could say many of the things people have been posting.

BUT, I do love her and I know she does love her family.

Vodka Logic said...

What a beautiful post..how old was the boy?I love stories like this.

I know the reverse with girls isn't usually as awkward but when one of my daughters played football one year [she was 6ish] it was such a thrill to be the mother of the only girl on the team. No cheerleader in her.

Tracie said...

Why do people have to be so nasty??? That's one of the things that bugs me about my small judgy town. Arrrgh!

I hope you had a very Happy Mother's Day!

Melissa B. said...

I guess I've never heard of a guy belly dancer before. He looks a little like Alladin! Happy Mom's Day to you, Carma...and FIE on that naster commenter.

Laura said...

You have such an awesome relationship with your son, you should be so proud! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day girl! :)

Mommy, I'm Home said...

What a very sweet post, Carma! Hope you had a great Mother's Day. (And, no, I wasn't sleeping in a pod, but on a pickle...)

Mocha Dad said...

Forget about that little punk who left the nasty comment. I hope you had a great Mother's Day.

FranticMommy said...

Good for you for not buying into the backbiting! And I am always amazed at the dirty laundry people air on social media sites. Do they not know the world is watching. Love your blog and thanks for stopping by mine!

mac said...

My exwife decided that our son should take a dance class when he was small.
I wasn't exactly into it at first. But I was proud that he made the effort, and watching him I realized that girls really like him.
At 16, he has a lot of them after him (much more than I had at that age, or ever)

Kaylen said...

I don't think my son always makes the best choices in his activities, but I always put on a supportive smile and play the proud mom role regardless.

Happy Mothers Day!!!

alessandra said...

You made me emotional, sweet post :)

Jayne said...

There is always some little pillock who wants to snuff out all the joy in others. Sorry you came across this nasty comment right around Mothers' Day but you did the right thing in ignoring it. Responding is like oxygen to trolls.
Hope you had a good day.

Sashindoubutsu said...

A belated Happy Mother's Day to you Carma!^^

Rachel Cotterill said...

I couldn't agree more. I, on the other hand, really am rubbish with a diabolo.

buffalodick said...

Hope you had a good one!

Salt said...

Pffft. That jerk kid wishes that he had a wonderful relationship with his mother! You are a GREAT mom and I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

And I think that guy in your class deserves all the kudos in the world!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

Happy Mother's Day!
You make a very good point! :)

Janna Bee said...

I hope you had a great Mother's Day, Carma, you deserve it!

Lisa said...

I hope you had a happy mamas day!
Yay to that boy belly dancers mama.

Kristin said...

I'll support my little man whether he's a ballet dancer or a baseball player...although if he doesn't take to the latter Daddy might lose it. HA! And what that person left as a comment is reprehensible!

Sashindoubutsu said...

By the way, that commenter is a huge jerk.

Lucy said...

Kudos to you for holding back, not sure I could have you have better restraint than me!

Oh, I can't stand it when people make fun of others who are trying to learn, I bet she refuses to step out of her box.

I hope you had a great Mother's Day!!! Thanks for the message on my blog!

Randi Troxell said...

oh it would make me sooo angry to have heard anyone trying to make fun of him..

i'm all about letting everyone be...

and i think he is wonderfully brave to be doing this.. and rather cool too... bet he would be up for a lot of things that most men would just walk away from.. and that is so something!

Mommyof2girlz said...

Wonderful post sweetheart made me a little teary thinking of how much pride that mom has for her son, it's so awesome. I love the relationship you and VC have. I can only hope my girls and I have the same closeness when they are teens :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...