Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Reader Recommendations That Work!!

Remember that cake in the mug FAIL from a week ago -- I'm happy to report that I got brave enough to attempt mug cooking for the third time - courtesy of a recipe sent to me by Margaret who blogs at Straight Up - No Chaser. (That blog title alone should make you interested in visiting her blog.)

Success! The cake was 90% moister and 100% richer than the recipe I tried the last time. Remember to mix it up well or you will end up with a coating of flour on the bottom. You don't come to this site to see cooking perfection ;-)

The recipe is very rich so I recommend splitting it with a buddy (or someone you would like to get fat :D

It is made from ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry, so why not try some tonight. And then thank Margaret for all the chocolatey goodness.

The most dangerous brownie recipe
5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG BROWNIE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to a large microwavable mug and mix well. Beat the egg into the milk, vanilla and oil and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
The brownie will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.


The second reader recommendation that worked was from Randi. Many of you read her blog Beauty Be Good on a regular basis. She has a wealth of knowledge about cosmetics and beauty in general. One of the items she gushed about was Rimmel's Long Lasting Finish Pro Nail Polish:

I selected Marine Blue since it matched my dance outfit perfectly :-) Some may call this too matchy matchy. I call it genius ;-)

Here are my nails on Day 1:

and then on Day 5:

No chips!!! On Day 6 I started with some chipping, so I'm not sure about the 10 Days - but absolutely worth a try if you are tired of chipping after Day 1. And at a price of $3 and change, it is well worth it. (available at Walmart)

If you try either of these, please let me know what you think! And if you have any other fabulous recommendations that will transform people's lives that I can feature on the blog, I'm all ears :-)

Have a Happy Tuesday. I'm working 4 days in a row at the "morgue"
(aka My Job)


34 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I definitely need to make that mug cake!

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

ok, I have to try that mug cake now for sure! I'm intrigued by the nail polish because Rimmel isn't expensive makeup at all and I'm all about nail polish that doesn't chip on my fingernails (OPI is fine for toes, but not so much for fingers). I love the color you picked! You have nice nails...not all long and clawish ;-)

Yankee Girl said...

I am actually going to make that recipe RIGHT NOW! I am still home from work and I am bored out of my mind. Maybe a little chocolate will help make me feel better!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Mmm that looks good!

I recently discovered OPI nail polish - done by a proper manicurist, it lasted nearly 3 weeks on my fingers, 4 on my toes. I hate chips so this was a revelation to me! Now I just need to find a good source of pretty colours :)

~Kristen~ said...

The morgue?!?!?! Did I miss something in my short bloggy absence?!?

LOVE the nail color!!! I used to religiously get my nails done once a week and I was all about colors that were not the norm! If I had the patience to paint my nails now I would be all over that color!

And I am so making that mug cake later!

Mommyof2girlz said...

yummmm brownnnnies. Love the rockin nail color :)

buffalodick said...

Cake sounds interesting! Also sounds good right now!

strokeofliving said...

I'm a sucker for a good brownie recipe and a good no chip nail polish. Well, these days a no chip toe polish.

Thank you for these recommendations and for being you. We come to this site for all kinds of reasons [food, fantasim and otherwise] and those reasons begin and end with you ;-)

Amanda said...

Love it. And LOVE that you are now a successful baker!!

Cute color too!

Blessings-
Amanda

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Mmmmm... chocolate cake.... I think I'm feeling better....

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

That cake looks good!
I'm going to pick up some of that polish. My nails chip after the second day. It drives me crazy!

Jennifer Lynn said...

I will totally try the polish! I better hold of on the yummy mug cake for now;)....lest I become addicted!

alessandra said...

Morgue?!

blueviolet said...

I'm getting a pedi on Monday and I'm thinking that I'm going with a color like that blue. I'm loving that!

Lisa said...

I can't find nail polish that last one job! My hands are in water a lot!

Mashuga Mom said...

I love the nail color, just recently got into funky colors myself. Some great ones at Walgreens!
Love the mug brownies... will try those- YUMMY!
My 4-year-old and I are starting a new weekly baking tradition. We will attempt your brownies.

smArtee said...

Ive never heard of mug cake..it sounds dangerous..like in too easy to make and eat all the time...and that polish is awesome...mine chips after 2 days...Thank you Carma....!!..BTY I love the color...

mac said...

The nails are cute. I will have to pass on that advice though.

That mug brownie, however, is right up my alley. Yumm!!

Herding Cats said...

Cake in a mug? Intrigued!

Kimberly said...

I have to try the brownie in the mug. WOW!

I have never heard of this nail polish. I usually get a mani, and the one I get from the salon last for days. I will check out the brand the next time I visit. I just took it off yesterday.

Jayne said...

'The morgue' eh? Branching out into new areas of expertise are we? ;)

Hang in there babes. Wednesday is the crest of the week - now we're just coasting to the weekend...and time for more chocolate cake.

Aunt Juicebox said...

Dangit! I was reading the recipe and I was like, wouldn't you know it, I DO have all those ingredients, so now I don't have an excuse not to make it!

Love the blue!

Randi Troxell said...

hey you.. thnx for the shout out!!!

and no chipping till day 6 ... i call THAT brilliant... that nail polish truly is like my new fave brand!!!

Tracie said...

I need to try that nail polish. Mine chips about 5 minutes after I apply it.

I have to work the rest of the week, too. The nerve!

Joann Mannix said...

What is this I'm hearing? Cake in a mug? Oh, I think I'm going to be in serious trouble now! How handy is that? And probably much easier to make. I'm definitely in chocolate trouble.

I have discovered a decent nail polish myself. OPI has a brand called Nicole. It's less expensive than OPI and you can find it at Walmart. The colors are vibrant and sweet and I really haven't had too many chipping issues. I live in Florida and I'm a barefoot girl, so my nails have quite a bit of wear and tear. So far, I love this nail polish.

Tina said...

Isn't it so great to get ideas from other bloggers?
And thanks for stopping by my blog. Yours looks like a lot of fun. I look forward to seeing more. I hope to continue to see you around. Have a great night!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

I've seen the mug cake recipes going around the blogworld. And it looks like you found the best recipe out there! I say it's time to try it out...

And I saw that review over at Randi's blog. She always finds the best stuff!

Melissa B. said...

Cake in a Mug & Marine Blue polish...what could be better than that? :)

Laura said...

Ohhhh I am liking the recommendation things! That cake looks WAY too dangerous and easy to try but that polish rocks! Cute color too. :)

McVal said...

sO... Third times a charm?! Good! I've made those mug cakes twice so far. It's been a year or so. But gave up after the 2nd time. I'll definitely try this one!
I've got a super bran muffin microwavable recipe that is awesome I should post about sometime.

denise said...

i read over your profile and wanted to add some of the ones we relate on...i'm also a product of the 80's, aquarius, WISH i was a minimalist, drive a honda odyssey (we also have a crx and honda accord wagon so yes, we are brand loyal! wish mine were kiwi colored, though...i do like bright colors), i also have a lot of creative ideas yet to be lucrative, i'm a vegetarian and love carbs though am probably borderline gluten-intolerant...finally, we painted our front door fire engine red...thanks for these tips...will try the chocolate mug cake but being a no make-up hippy type will probably not use the polish tip unless my daughter talks me into some...

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing this great yummy idea. What great polish also.. Thanks for taking the time to link up for my Round Robin. I hope you had a great time.. Have an amazing weekend..

Bethany said...

The mug cake is too cool! My friend has that same nail polish and I put it on my toes earlier this week- we'll see how long it lasts :) I love the color!!

Sh@KiR@ CK said...

Mug cake YUMMMMMYYYYYYY!!!
what a pleasure to meet you..
I am your latest follower..
sorry for being late..
from Round Robin
Mine is here
Have a beautiful Sunday!
hugs
shakira

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...