Thursday, May 20, 2010

Now Who's the Sucker (Hides Head)

After over 2-1/2 years of wear, my MBT's are finally ready for retirement. (They are worn to the point of reaching the special super secret Masai Technology squishy part.) Here's a photo of my MBT's in happier days:


MB and I were out shopping over the weekend and I had a 20% off coupon, which meant it was time to splurge on some new sneaks. MB picked out a sensible pair of Avias which were priced at $30 and I moseyed on over the women's overpriced walking shoe section to try on a pair of the new Reebok Simply Tone sneakers that I've had my eye on.


They were on sale for $80 which was muchless than I paid for my MBT's originally. (Incidentally, I purchased them at a discount shoe site; I did not pay full price. I am not an idiot-- which also accounts for the color. There weren't many choices in that price range!)

And then, to come across a Forbes.com article yesterday-- It was titled "10 Ways You're Getting Ripped Off." Let's face it, nobody likes to be ripped off, except people who have blogs because then they have a blog topic for the next day.

Here's what the expert had to say about Item #2: Fitness shoes that claim to tone your legs while you walk- "These shoes .... mostly affect the foot and ankle," says Dr. Michael Ross, director of Rothman Institute's Sports Performance Lab. "There is no evidence they will help you tone better or quicker than a regular shoe." I'll be honest, I never really noticed any difference in my leg tone over the past two years, but I didn't want to chance it :D

Unrelated note, the principal at VC's new school said he recognized me from around town. I immediately thought "when and what was I wearing" as I've been known to trek around town in my short shorts and blue sneakers...May need to rethink this wardrobe choice in the future...

So, do I keep or return my new Simply Tone sneakers??

Update: Looks like I'll be headed back to the store anyway, since they left the security device on one of the sneakers. Terrific.

25 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I would keep them. I'm sure you'll look like Heidi Klum in no time.

Jayne said...

For every expert saying one thing there is another to contradict it. If you liked them enough to buy them, I'd keep them, especially if they match your short shorts.

Herding Cats said...

Hmm...I'm not sure. Do you feel like they are working? I'm skeptical of these types of shoes, but I haven't tried them so who knows!

Alicia said...

ohhh i don't know lady! that's a tough call! but those blue sneaks are pretty awesome...too bad its time to hang em up!

mac said...

If it's the shoes or not, your legs are great. Keep them just in case .

As for your wardrobe: Don't worry about it. Short shorts are fine when your legs are that nice...as long as your cheeks aren't hanging out in the back ;-)

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

I saw that article as well and thought of my sketcher shape ups. I don't think they were a waste of money. When I wore them running errands, I felt my calf muscles getting exercised. Did it change my whole body and make me look super fit? heck no. If people expect those kind of results from those type of shoes, then yes, they are a waste of money. Anyone who thinks a pair of shoes are going to completely change a person's figure must believe in fairies and other things like that....well, anyway, it's all perspective. Buy what you like! :-)

Jill of All Trades said...

I've had my reservations about those shoes. Good luck.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

I like the way Reebok fits - they're my preferred brand. I say keep 'em ;)

buffalodick said...

If you saw my shoes, you wouldn't be seen with me!

Salt said...

Meh...$80 isn't too bad for a pair of those sneaks. I'd just keep them.

I can't believe that MBTs are apparently a crock!! I used to work for a comfort shoe store that sold them and they would go on and on about this and that amazing technology. I believed all of it! I've been had!

Randi Troxell said...

i say keep em'

my mother for the past 4 yrs has worn no other sneaker than the tone ones you are talking about and SHE SWEARS she can tell a difference..

who knows.. but if you like em'.. why not!!!

Slamdunk said...

Ha, you could just start a new trend with the security device displayed; sort of like the tag left on ball caps so they dangle down as the owner wears it sideways.

Amanda said...

Oh no!!! That sucks! Well... they are super cute! And practical. And cute! :)

Blessings-
Amanda

Lora said...

I saw that too, and was disappointed. Bunch of jerks trying to tell us that getting fit is supposed to be actual work. Don't they know this is America? Shoes and pills! Shoes and pills!

Kristin said...

Ahhhhhhh, it drives me nuts when they do that. Vic Sec left one on a bra once and of course I lost my receipt. They wouldn't take it off. JERKS!

Tracie said...

We have so much in common....I have a pair of MBT's, too. (Mine are very ugly though.) I've been thinking of getting a pair of the Reeboks as you can Zumba in them but I can't in the MBT's. They're supposed to be easy to slide and spin around in, too.

I say keep them so you can let me know how they work!

Mrsblogalot said...

I'd keep 'em.
I wouldn't chance it (-:

If I could wear them on my arms, I would....it could work.

ScoMan said...

Stopping by from BON. They made it hard to get here. The link was a little bit weird.

Anyway, I didn't know there were sneakers out there that claimed to tone legs.. but then I've had my sneakers for 4 years now, so I guess that shows how often I wander into those stores.

There could be sneakers that shoot laser beams or do all kinds of cool things now for all I know.

Date Girl said...

Well did they at least help your feet? I've been interested in these type of shoes for awhile. I've heard they're great for arch pain which I have pretty bad. The new reeboks are cute. I say as long as they are comfortable and you like em, keep em!

Where the Fur Flies said...

I had to start paying attention to what I wear while walking the dogs when I learned how many of my coworkers live in my subdivision.

Christina said...

I'm so picky when it comes to shoes.... and so skeptical too, but those shoes are nice.

Big Mama Cass said...

What are MBT's? And I would return the new tennis shoes for sure.

ModernMom said...

Now I have actually been thinking about trying some of those sneaks! Better do some research first I guess:)

Sashindoubutsu said...

Did you keep them? I hope so. They look good. I'm a Nike Free fan but Reebok's are good, too. If they fit nicely on you and you feel comfortable in them then go for the pair.

By the way, when I was in fifth grade, a classmate told me that my sneakers looks like Ronald McDonald's. The next weekend, he was wearing the same shoes. Same color, same style..exactly the same. Oh great.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I've heard the shoes are really comfy even if they don't tone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...