Friday, May 7, 2010

I Really Need to Get Out More

As I tweeted this morning, today I'm bummed, but for no particular reason. A few clients just stopped in, which helps break things up, but normally I only see one or two people my entire workday. Most days it's just me. You've heard me whine about this before. Nothing new.

But yesterday I had a chance to venture out into the world and take VC for placement testing at the new school he will be attending next year. Long story short, it is a school where he will be able to fully showcase his talents and creative bent. I look upon it as potentially life-changing. When his number was drawn out of the 99 others who entered the lottery for 9th grade, I took it as a sign.

Anyway, while he was in testing I had the opportunity to chat with a few of the other moms and teachers. And there was one teacher who was from Mexico. She is a young mom and will be a computer teacher there. She was incredibly delightful. I mentioned how tall VC was - since she wasn't sure which child was mine- and she said it reminded her of the Love You Forever book. We both instantly had tears in our eyes at this thought. Incidentally, I got this book as a shower gift and it so depressed me I had to toss it out. I know I shouldn't look at things that way....

*of course, I perked right on up when she added that she would have never expected me to have a ninth grader. Previously I asked the assistant principal a question and he said he thought I had a kindergartner and was shocked when I said that no, he was a ninth grader. He said I "looked too young" to have a ninth grader. Naturally I was just lapping up all this mom flattery!!!! Especially since I was not a young mom. (Do you think they say this to every mom -- don't answer) Let's just say it was such a happy place, I was ready to enroll there myself :D

I enjoy getting to know more about people and find that I often have lengthy conversations. Maybe it's my blogger curiosity.

Much as I do solitude well, it really made me realize how little contact I have with people I am not related to. We talked so long and got to know each other to the point that the teacher gave me a hug when she left.

Besides the belly dancing girls, it's just MB and VC most days with an occasional phone call with friends. It felt good to be away from the computer and my barren job and out in the world where people are doing things, and engaged in happy conversations. There is a vibrant and engaging side to me that most people never get to see (MB may beg to differ ;-) I need to do that more.

Do you ever feel the same way?

----------------------------
re-reading this post, it makes me appear quite pathetic :-( but you know what, I'll keep it up anyway 'cuz I'm all about keeping it real - honest.

22 comments:

Mommy, I'm Home said...

I go through spurts of wanting to be out and about with other people, and wanting to stay as far away from other people as possible. Socializing is exhausting for me, so I don't want to waste my energy on just anybody. I have finally learned to pick and choose who I want to be with when I do socialize.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I totally understand. I often only talk to the kids and hubs. I need contact. Guess that is why I blog too.

JennyMac said...

I am a 100% out in the world girl. I get my energy from external sources so would wither and fade without it.

NIKOL said...

I'm one of those people who really NEEDS to be social. If I'm by myself too long I start to feel anxious and depressed.

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

I don't need to be social, but once in awhile it's nice. Most days it's just me and the cats then Josh when he gets home from work. That's why I've started looking for a part-time job...I'm afraid that not only am I really boring (what do I have to talk about really?), but I might get really weird not being around anyone most of the time. :-)

p.s. I can't believe you have a 9th grader either! ;-)

buffalodick said...

I spent a career in the public eye, and wish no longer to be that man.. We all seem to need balance- a little of both..

Kristin said...

I hate to break it to you but you look AMAZING! They're right. Cheer up. It's Friday!

Where the Fur Flies said...

I tend to be fairly antisocial. Most of the time I like it, but there are times when I wish I had more outside contacts.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

I used to feel the same way until I started Main Street, and now we're so busy I rarely feel at odds with myself. But yeah, I know that rut well.

They spoke the truth though - you don't look old enough to have a 9th grader! I never thought I did until someone mistook me for my best friend's mother... that was debilitating to say the least. Oh I've been assured that person was an idiot, but still... it stung! Be happy you're getting the other side of that coin ;)

As for the bummed out day - I know we're nowhere near each other, but everyone here seems to be in the same boat, so I'm chalking it up to the time of year!

Aunt Juicebox said...

I think your posts show your vibrant side! I totally get that kind of energy from you! And yes, I think it was definitely a sign he should go there.

That Love You Forever book creeps me out.

Lisa said...

I always feel like that! I work for me with me and I get tired of me!
I miss the chatter of a work place where there's more than 1 employee.

You do look pretty darn good!!

Lemondrop Marie said...

Yea for the young mom compliments- totally deserved. I am always out and about with lots of people at work, so I am happy with the off times of long quiet.

Herding Cats said...

I think there is definitely a balance between solitude and people immersion. I know that I get so lonely - both when I have too much alone time and also when I am constantly surrounded and overwhelmed by people. It's best to have both in moderation, huh?

Marie said...

You don't sound "pathetic" at all!

I know exactly what you mean. I actually like spending most of my time alone, but sometimes I gotta get out there. I'm shy, but if I'm on the bus or standing in line I can strike up a conversation with anyone.

I think that most everyone can only take so much solitude until they have to get out a little. Its like filling up a cup and once its full it needs to be emptied.

Jayne said...

I think the ideal work environment for most people would probably entail a little more of a social aspect than you seem to get. Being alone at home is one thing, when you have made the choice for it to be that way and you can get on with any number of things. Being pretty much alone at work I suspect could be quite frustrating, lonely even, and then time starts to drag. Maybe you could look for another job that would offer you more of a social aspect?? Who knows, perhaps that school needs someone?

mac said...

I'm out there daily. I sometimes wish I weren't, but mostly, I am a social creature.

And, no. It wasn't empty flattery. You look pretty good :-)

Tina said...

I know exactly what you mean - I spend my days at home with three children under three, and rarely do anything else. And by rarely, I mean almost never - I'm at a week straight of not leaving the house. And I'm another of those folks who gets really down when I don't get good social interaction, so being at home all the time really gets to me.

Salt said...

I don't think you sound pathetic at all! Most days, it's just M and I in our own little world. And for now I'm enjoying it that way, although it is nice to get out once in awhile (like last night except today I just have a terrible headache).

That book makes me cry just thinking about it.

Mark said...

Carma, I hope you have a Wonderful Mother's Day!

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

I definitely understand where you're coming from!
You do look amazing!!!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Sounds like a great school with nice people :) One of the things I love about blogging is getting to 'meet' all these people who I might never meet in real life.

Oz Girl said...

You sound so very much like me. Since I moved to rural Kansas almost 2 yrs ago and don't have a job (yet... I start a new one this Thursday), I don't get to socialize like I used to in big-city Ohio. I do miss my girlfriends!! And like you, I find when a stranger strikes up a conversation with me, I can take that conversation to great lengths (they're probably wishing they had never even spoken to me, LOL)... a part of me enjoys my solitude here on our 27 acres, but another part of me misses socializing. Perhaps my new job will help cure that.... toll booth collector.

There's a hearty good laugh for your Monday! (Me, a professional white collar employee, now going to be a toll booth collector on the KS turnpike!!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...