Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What a Girl Wants (but in Platinum or White Gold?)

I haven't talked much about my job on my blog for obvious reasons, but as an introduction to this post, I will mention that I work in an art gallery where I also get to handle all sorts of magnificent jewelry. I often get to model pieces for the clients. Many times they have questions about the materials used. You may not be familiar with platinum vs. white gold, so here is some information you may find useful if you are thinking of making a fine jewelry purchase:


Platinum has become the metal setting of choice for many celebrities. It's still much more expensive than gold, but the silver look of platinum with diamonds allows designers to create pieces that are both beautiful, sleek, and modern. Both men and women at red carpet events have taken a shine to this metal, probably because of its many great qualities. It is a very hard metal that doesn't wear or get scratched as easily as gold settings. It can be worn in environments that would be caustic to gold, like spas where chlorine becomes a factor. Of course, the look of platinum against diamonds is hard to beat too.

Katy Perry, at the 2009 Grammy Awards, was an excellent example of this fashion trend towards lighter colored metals. She wore six-stone princess cut diamond earrings, along with a “Sofia” bangle bracelet that was set in platinum. To complete the look, she wore a platinum and diamond right hand ring in a floral motif. The look was stunning and modern.

For those of us that can't afford to get a full ensemble of jewelry in platinum, there are other options to get the same look. White gold mimics the look of platinum, although the qualities of the metal are much different. It is less expensive upfront, but does require more maintenance to keep it looking new, unlike a real platinum setting. If you really have your heart set on a platinum setting, like for a diamond engagement ring, it is possible to the ring in platinum and the band in white gold, although it can cause some wear and tear on the band. Some people will weld the two pieces together to keep the platinum from wearing away the white gold band. The look is so similar, that only after some time and wear and tear, will it be possible for someone with an untrained eye to tell the difference.


*This is a sponsored post*

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have a white gold ring, and I had to get it replated. I'll probably have to do it again soon.

NIKOL said...

My wedding ring was white gold, and I had to get it replated. Now I just wear a silver band. The diamond on my ring was set so high that I kept catching it on stuff. After having kids, and scratching the crap out of them a few times, I figured I probably didn't need jewelry that doubled as a weapon. Though it's always nice to have the option in case I pursue a career as a super spy.

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

hmm, that must explain why my ring is scratched up so much. It's old plus it's white gold.

I still love it though :-)

Robin said...

Ok Im the odd one here..I have white gold band, engagement and 10 year and they all look really good..or maybe I just cant see how bad they look..Lol...they are hardly scratched at all...maybe because I dont do housework too much Hahah.....on my 10 year ..there is not one scratch..maybe it is platinum..who knows..?...great info...and platinum just sounds beteer

Maureen said...

A friend of mine wrote his entire dissertation on platinum and platimum alloys. I had no idea what he was talking about. Now this I understand.

Mommyof2girlz said...

Thanks for the info and how fun is your job! You get to play with gorgeous jewelry and do a little modeling..lol Sounds like a blast!

Randi Troxell said...

thnx for this bit of info... now i feel very informed cause i never pay attention when it comes to jewelry!

~Kristen~ said...

My wedding band and engagement ring are as you described: the diamonds on each are set in platinum but the bands are gold. Full platinum would have just been too expensive. But the hubs knows, if, somwhere down the line, he ever feels the urge (ha!) to buy me another fancy ring, the WHOLE thing better be platinum! lololol OK this sounds so bad. I am really not a big jewelry person at all. Most days I just wear my wedding band and engagement ring, and I love them, and wouldn't want them any other way!!!

Lucy said...

I am so bad I really should learn more about stuff before I buy it, I just go for the look and sometimes that isn't good because it may look pretty but not wear well at all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...