Sunday, April 25, 2010

Shimmy Shimmy, Undulation, Undulation - It's Recital Time!

Last night, after months of practice, we had our spring recital...It is one thing practicing and giggling on our practice classroom, another to be on stage. You'd be surprised how fear takes over!! The first few minutes I felt incredibly off balance. Then I took a deep breath, focused and made it through the performance.

Here are a couple of pictures (video was outlawed):





I only made one minor slip up, which will hopefully be unnoticeable on the video. But I'll admit that I am about as self-conscious as you get and looking at my scrawny body next to these sex-ay ladies, some of whom can really move, I seriously wonder if this is the hobby for me! However, since I'm almost a year into it and having fun, I'll just need to put on my blinders and suck it up. I am working with weights in the hopes of fleshing out my upper body some more- and hoping to improve my posture, too....

Not sure if you noticed how much better the costume fit than in the pic I posted a week or so ago. That's because I took it to a professional!!! Yes, I discovered something else I had no business attempting on my own, i.e. costume alteration. I couldn't believe the amazing job she did; I was almost ready to give up on the costume. (despite sending in my measurements, the costume arrived with about 6 extra inches added to the chest and waist). I've never had anything professionally altered before, but now that I see what a difference it makes, I'm sure to be getting more outfits altered in the future. These people can really perform miracles!!

Oh, I managed to get the fake eyelashes attached, but the closeup photos didn't come out so well. You could barely tell I had on lashes, being that I loaded up the eyeliner to cover up for the fact that I couldn't get the lashes close enough to my own lashes. I'll need to experiment more with this sometime when I am not in a rush.

But enough about me, how was YOUR weekend??

34 comments:

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

holy smokes, what are you talking about??? If I were you, I'd be like, I rock! You are not scrawny at all, you look awesome!!!!

Kaylen said...

You look amazing!!! What a fun hobby!

Nichol said...

I so agree with Kathie you look great. More guts than me to get up in front of so many and do that. I'd do more than 1 slip up haha. My weekend has been amazing:)

buffalodick said...

Even if you went ass over applecart into the audience- you still looked pretty hot!

Rebecca Jo said...

Look at how AWESOME you look!!! I love that blue too...

What a fun thing to do..

Lucy said...

You look great!!! I wish I could do it!! You look great and not scrawny at all and just as good if not better than the other women. I think it is great that you all are doing it!!!

Lisa said...

You look FANTASTIC!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

Whoa... you go girl!

You look amazing!

~Kristen~ said...

Girl, you look gorgeous!!! There is no way the others are any sexier! Don't sell yourself short. I love your costume, too! The turquoise and white looks great on you. So proud of you, my friend!!! :-)

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh, you look awesome! I'm sure you did a great job :)

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Good god, Carma! What do you mean "scrawny"? You look AWESOME!

mac said...

You're wrong.
When you say you don't look good, you are wrong, seriously wrong!

If by scrawny you mean cuter than shit, you're not wrong ;-)

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

You look great!!!

Anne said...

You look fantastic!!!

Jen said...

A little fear or nervousness is good. It's what gives you the rush and improves your performance. I love that costume.

tattytiara said...

You look wonderful - that costume is perfectly suited for you.

blueviolet said...

You are the absolute coolest chick! I love that you do this and you look fabulous!

Dual Mom said...

The costume looks FABULOUS! I agree with the other commentors, don't sell yourself short. You look really good on that stage!

Jayne said...

You're looking pretty darn fine there Ms Carma - a figure that many young women would give their eye teeth for (and a few older ones too). ;)

Sashindoubutsu said...

OMG! That is so sexy and beautiful of you Carma! Hmmm, I did not see you dance as you posted only photos but I know you did well! About the slip, nah, pretend it's part of the dance step.^^

You look fabulous! Slim and pretty!

Michelle Pixie said...

I think you look fantabulous!! What a great hobby! I am uber impressed. =)

My weekend was pretty good except I was attacked by a horrible beast in Starbucks! I am sure I will be having to write about it later. ;-)

Aunt Juicebox said...

Awesome! You look great, and it sounds like you had a good time. I've been practicing for a year for bagpipes too, and it sometimes feels like I'll never be good, but I just keep on keepin' on!

Salt said...

Look at you!!! You are so gorgeous and pretty. I have always thought that belly dancing was the coolest thing and I almost took lessons with a friend years ago, but my lack of rhythm kept me away. I'm so glad your recital went so well!

Seriously...Coolest. Hobby. EVER.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

You look HAWT Carma! Glad you're keeping up with your hobby since you're having so much fun! :)

Randi Troxell said...

oh whatev!!!! you look amazing carma... and i give you total kicks for doing this, cause i'm afraid i might not ever would!!

Robin said...

Ummm..hey lady..you are not scrawney...WTF are you talking about...you look hot, hot hot...You rock girlll....!!!

Where the Fur Flies said...

That looks like fun, and for the record you looked gorgeous in that costume.

I took chair dancing classes last year. I did it for about 6 months, but gave up when the teach said we'd have to do a recital to continue on. Kudos to you for having the nerve to dance for an audience like that.

Christina said...

I don't know what you are talking about. You look fabulous girlfriend! Keep on shimmy-ing!

Big Mama Cass said...

You are so friggin awesome! Dude, I could never. You rock!

Janna Bee said...

Yay! I'm glad it went well! You look awesome!

Lucy postpartumillness.com said...

Wow I think you look great and you have inspired me to sign up for the tahitian dancing lessons that I always wanted to take.

janetfaye said...

You are absolutely gorgeous!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Lisa Paul said...

That is an amazing outfit. And I thought you were threatening to piece your costume together from yard sales. Guess not.

And I still say, should you be allowed to belly dance with no belly? [just jealous] If nuking pre-cooked bacon and making inedible cake in a mug keeps you that slim, I'll get on that diet.

Amanda said...

You look amazing!! I am so proud of you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...