Tuesday, April 27, 2010

More Culinary Exploits Chez Carma Sez

Just when you thought it was safe to go into the kitchen, I whipped up not one, but two disasters all in ONE day yesterday.

First, I decided since we had a lot going on last night (my class, MB going to playoff game, VC going to guys reading group at library - which is a funny story in itself, because he headed there last Thursday, only to realize the library was closed on Thursdays due to cutbacks; I thought it was rescheduled for yesterday, but didn't realize it was the 26th of May!!!!! Which means he basically made two trips to the library for no reason. Good exercise though ;-)

Anymatter, I settled on BLT's since I could fix them in a jiffy. As you probably recall, I am a vegetarian/carbatarian, so I don't eat them, but every now and then it is good for the boys to get a nitrite laden meal.

I picked up that bacon which is precooked, yet not refrigerated-- basically an indication that it is 90% chemicals. Having not made BLT's since last summer, I couldn't recall the amount of time it takes to cook in the microwave. Come to find out it was 30 seconds, not the TWO MINUTES I cooked it for:
Here's an up close view so you can feast your eyes on the tastiness:
Having barely survived making it through dinner, I came back from class and instead of binge eating on Cheddar Whales, I figured a chocolate dessert was in order.

You may have seen those Cake in a Mug recipes bandied about various blogs. Let me preface this by saying that I am an estimator when it comes to cooking. No need to use the official tablespoon measuring spoon. VC saw this and figured he'd do the same substituting a regular teaspoon for the standard size one when it came to measuring the cocoa. Then I thought we'd better hold true to the quantities on the remainder of the ingredients, which meant finding the 1/8 tsp measuring spoon; which was fine, only for some reason I picked up the 1/2 teaspoon, so instead of 1/8 tsp baking soda, in went 1/2 tsp. I cooked it for 2 minutes - AGAIN WITH THE TWO MINUTES only this was the correct timing for this recipe.

It smelled like burnt popcorn, and VC advised that it tasted like chicken. Then he tasted some more and told me it wasn't too bad. The little turd :D

Which meant I had to taste some.
I get nauseous just looking at it.

After tossing that batch, I decided to do it right and made another -- only I goofed on the baking soda AGAIN, this time adding 1/4 tsp instead of 1/8. I quickly scooped out what I thought to be 1/8. Honestly, it didn't taste significantly better.

If anyone has not yet tried the recipe and wants to attempt it and maybe get it right, please let me know :D I think this is one I'm giving up on.

How have things been going in your kitchen???

24 comments:

Kristina P. said...

YOu can definitely salvage the bacone by dipping it in chocolate.

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

I agree, although dipping bacon in chocolate just sounds wrong, doesn't it? Something a guy would do though.

Carma... sometimes ordering a pizza is just in the cards, you know? ;)

Randi Troxell said...

lol.. this is so ME in the kitchen... by the way- a friend once done the cake/mug thing perfectly and it even looked lovely.. still tasted like a$$!!!

btw- what is a vegetarian/carbatarian?

Salt said...

Yep...this sounds very much like my own kitchen exploits. In fact, I had a similar experience over-nuking edamame last night. That's why I let my husband take care of like 90% of the cooking.

Jen said...

I always buy twice the ingredients in case I mess up the first batch.

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

That's how I eat my bacon!!! I hate chewy bacon full of fat, ewww. I "burn" it because I like it really crispy. I would have hogged all of that down.

McVal said...

YUM! I like overly crispy burnt bacon!
I've done the cake in a mug too and the mugs just get so gooked up! We do have a bran muffin recipe that gets microwaved in a mug and we LOVE those! I'll have to post that recipe some time.

buffalodick said...

Well, it's a good thing you're cute.. you could hurt somebody in the kitchen! HeeHeeHee..

blueviolet said...

I have a whole cookbook dedicated to cake in a mug recipes!

I've done that same stupid thing to the pre-cooked bacon too! I like to buy it though because I hate cleaning up all the grease! LOL

Aleta said...

I'm a measure-gal. I can only cook with a recipe that has measurements. And I cook Slowwwwww.. Greg is a natural cook - doesn't need a recipe and is quick in the kitchen. So, I graciously step aside and let him do his thing. Otherwise, all my meals would come out like the ones you posted. I'm not a cook. Lol.

Kristin said...

I actually successfully made silver dollar pancakes for the dude today. I usually don't have the patience for pancakes. That's the hubs department. Ah ha ha

Laura said...

I am so not a measuring kind of girl either...which is why I don't bake, ever. Well until last week when I tried making cookies from scratch for the first time ever. Fail!

NIKOL said...

In my kitchen the cooking goes fine but we are currently in a standoff regarding the dishes. So the kitchen LOOKS like a disaster, even if there aren't cooking disasters occuring at the present time.

Tracie said...

I was on the ball in the kitchen today. Went to the grocery store and did tons of prep work for the next 3 days' dinners and lunch, too. Doesn't happen very often.

Kaylen said...

Wow....this entire post totally makes me want to not eat. :)

Bacon in general is not appealing--but I don't get that bacon that isn't frozen stuff. That seems very wrong. But maybe you made it healthier by burning it!

I haven't tried the cake in a mug thing. It seems suspicious.

Amanda said...

Oh girl... you are the best!! I love that you keep trying! :)

Didnt you make a fantastic monkey bread once? :)

Mommy, I'm Home said...

OK, both of those look BAAAADDDD! Better just to have slapped together some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...

Michelle Pixie said...

Yesterday I attempted to make an icecream cake for Diva for her birthday but I couldn't get the stupid cake out of the pan. GAH! We ended up scooping the cakeout of the pan and throwing icecream on top and lodging a candle in her scoop of icecream. Yep I failed!

Steph said...

I have a delightful cheese ball pic for you! I knew I had one somewhere....

JoeyRes said...

That bacon looked.... okay that wasn't good. A learning experience?

Around here I've conquered my gas stove (finally) and only burn myself occasionally. Small miracles.

Jayne said...

Yep, that bacon definitely looks like something died.

I love your son's comment: 'Tastes like chicken' ... because we all know that when venturing into the culinary underworld it *will* most likely taste like chicken! :D

Aunt Juicebox said...

Oh noes!!! What have you done to the bacon!!! lol

Lucy said...

Hire a cook! (lol)

Sashindoubutsu said...

Is that really a bacon? Horrible..

I also have my own share of kitchen bloopers. Sometimes my nieces do watch me cook and when they see the finished dish, they ask in chorus "Is that edible?"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...