Monday, March 8, 2010

Stir Fried and a GPS Ride

First let me mention that I am writing this after having just consumed a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich made with Velveeta that we had left over from making Queso dip...mmmmmmm.....I forgot how tasty fake cheese can be.

Second, the reason I am not writing about the Oscars is that I decided not to watch. Most acceptance speeches make me squirm and I know once I sit down to watch the entire evening is shot. Although, I'll be honest, with my "Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) Mancrush" it was hard to tune out.

Oh, and I also want to mention that there may, in fact, have been some type of Divine Intervention involved with the airing of VC's video. Not only did the library DVD not work twice, but on Friday he was featured on the morning announcements and, as luck would have it, there was a substitute teacher in his "homeroom" class and she was unable to get the TV working in time, which meant that the inglorious basterds could not make fun of his smile again!

MB has become even more obsessed with his jam skating (rollerskates) and his posse keeps growing. (The ever unreliable Bromance did not show up after weeks of boasting that he would be there. Again). This weekend the group had a skate at a rink 4 hours from here. It was an all nighter, so VC and I decided to head out to do some ice skating, inspired by the Olympics as it were.

We had a blast:

Considering this was only the third time VC was on skates in his 14 years, I was amazed that he was whizzing around the rink....


I was further surprised when he said he couldn't believe what I good skater I was, and as a mom of a teen, you know what a BIG DEAL that kind of compliment is *pats self on back.*

I gotta tell ya, my new GPS has really expanded my horizons. I've been avoiding going far from home unaccompanied because I dread getting lost and being in unfamiliar territory with bad Mapquest directions, but now that I have a GPS, the world is my oyster (always wanted to say that). The rink was an hour from our house and on the way home I decided we'd plug in the coordinates of the nearest Trader Joe's and stop for some healthy goodies on the way home, which we did:

We ended up calling it International Night. (VC artfully arranged the goodies on the table so you could see). Dinner included:

Cucumber Wonton Rolls - I made the soy dipping sauce that was on the package
Salsa and Reduced Guilt Corn Chips
Veggie Stir Fried Rice
Marinated Bean Salad
and for dessert, Reduced Guilt Brownies made with Greek Yogurt (completely non-fat - yet delicious)

We also purchased:
Almond Butter with Flax Seed
and Organic Whole Wheat Penne

VC said that I was buying us out of "house and home."

Yet, when we got to the checkout the total came to $21.00 with tax!!! For healthy food!

We had so much fun we are planning on making this a regularly scheduled event...

Nothin' like living on the edge ;-)

27 comments:

Kaylen said...

What a fun adventure!!
I know what you mean about the kids and compliments. My son said his friends were coming over again-they end up at my house most weekends and I said-why don't you ever go to one of their houses? and he said-because none of their moms are cool like you.
YAY!!! HUGE pat on my mom back!!

Trader Joes is really expensive on some stuff. It's expensive to be healthy.

Alicia said...

woo hoo for divine intervention!! i'm so glad it worked out for him! and seriously how cute is he...ice skating with his mom AND complimenting her!!! oh my word.... he's a catch! and now i'm super duper hungry....

Vodka Logic said...

Wow a tall boy and teens are good at anything.. I remember the juggling that is amazing.

Can I come over for some snacks please

Rachel Cotterill said...

I haven't been ice skating for years - really must get round to it again. But the skates are so uncomfortable! Sounds like you had a great time :)

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

I've always wanted to try ice skating.

you are an awesome mom!

Joy said...

I so admire that you are up on skates with your son! I'm such a chicken with zero balance skillz.

alessandra said...

About Divine intervention, I think you are right.
About skating skills and your son's compliments, great!
About healthy food, today I did the same, I bought some agave nectar for 7 euros!!!!crazy!!!!

Mommy, I'm Home said...

You are such a cool mom, Carma! I think it's great that you and VC are such good friends and still do things together. I hope The Midge and I are like that when she hits her teens...

blueviolet said...

You're making me want to get up on skates again. It's been about 10 years. Awesome international healthy night! I like your weekend!

Robin said...

I want you for my Mom Carma...and yes I know about kids and compliments..I also posted a similar today..You're son is a doll....I showed his juggling to my kids..they were like Wow...holy shit...weve never seen that before..its true, regular juggling yeah but not bounce juggling..so kool..and you skating tooo..Fantastic..Im beginning to think you can do just about everyting Girl..!

buffalodick said...

I'm glad I was still young enough to do active outings with my boys, while they were growing up!

Randi Troxell said...

oh i have not skated in so long.. looks like ya'll had fun though!

Michelle Pixie said...

How Fun! You are the cool mom I aspire to be!

I so wish we had a Trader Joes but there isn't even one in the whole stinkin' state I live in! One more reason I have to escape this place!!

Maureen said...

Ice skating and a trip to Trader Joe's sounds like a fabulous way to spend the day. I need to make some time for that soon.

Together We Save said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Dinner sounded delicious! Sounds like a fun night too.

Aunt Juicebox said...

Yum!

I've never been able to rollerskate, but I can Rollerblade. Lots of fun.

Lisa said...

I love the person that invented the gps.

Dinner sounds good to me...now that your broke I have to buy my own! :)

Love the pics!

Lisa said...

I love the person that invented the gps.

Dinner sounds good to me...now that your broke I have to buy my own! :)

Love the pics!

Christina said...

Sound like the Gods must be looking out for VC.

It's always nice to get a compliment from our kids.

Leproust Vintage said...

TJ is AWESOME!! We had one right by our house in Ohio, so when we moved to Nashville (at this time there wasn't a Whole Foods or TJ in Nashville at all) we didn't know what to do! Pretty soon after we moved in, a Whole Foods went in about 5 miles away, and last years, we were blessed with a TJ 5 miles away too! I am obsessed with it!

Good picks too....the guilt free brownies are delicious!

Lucy said...

Oh, my you were a buys lady this weekend! I really have to get to a Trader Joe's!!

McVal said...

Congrats on the compliment from your son! You're right! It doesn't happen often!
You've got an award on my blog today.

JennyMac said...

What a doll. Love the ice skating pics. And all my friends used to come to our house bc my parents were so cool. Hope I inherited that like you did. :)

Lyraluv said...

International night and ice skating, what fun! I was very uplifted by your blog and enjoyed reading. If you enjoy computer games, please visit my blog at http://www.pcactiongames.net. Thanks again!

Jen @ After The Alter said...

Gotta love trader joes! Sounds like a yummy meal...but what REALLY sounds like a yummy meal is that grilled cheese your mentioned! yummy!!!!!

Janna Bee said...

Ugh... so jealous! I wish we had a trader joe's close by... or whole foods... hell, even a superwalmart would be nice. (Pouts).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...