Thursday, March 25, 2010

Stand in the Place Where You Work


....Now Face West.

R.E.M. was spot-on with those lyrics. And very forward thinking. All my fellow middle aged women bloggers may have heard the big announcement issued by the JAMA on Tuesday-- that in order to MAINTAIN your weight as you enter middle age and beyond you will require ONE HOUR of exercise a day....This is simply to MAINTAIN your weight. NOT TO LOSE WEIGHT!!! UGH.

To repeat one of MB's favorite quotes: No Sh*t Sherlock!!

I could have saved them a lot of time and study money as I recently came to the same conclusion. I've been lucky not to have to really diet per se all these years. But I've noticed that without having changed my eating habits, it is getting harder and harder to maintain my weight.

A lot of this is due to the nasty new habit that I began almost two years ago: BLOGGING!!! There is no question I've become more sedentary than I've ever been in my life. Time spent scurrying around the house cleaning and organizing and walking has been replaced by me sitting down with a blanket and my laptop in my Stressless chair and catching up on blogs in the evening, occasionally accompanied by a salty snack.

Now that I'm working an additional 7 hours a week, that's more time spent on my jello butt. I like to clip out relevant food, exercise, style articles and I recall having come across one stating that you burn plenty more calories when standing. According to what I've read, standing burns around 12 to 30 more calories per hour. Although I've also read that standing for long periods of time leads to more spider veins. GAH, what to do. What to do???? I'll chance it and go with the increased calorie burn. So as I type this I am standing at the counter at my place of work. Every little bit helps.

Feeling the blog bloat* too? I suggest following R.E.M.'s lead and Standing at the Place Where You Work. Either that or lay off blogging. Riiiiiiiggghhhht.

*I was going to call it "blog bulge" until I googled "blog bulge" -- let's just say it was a bit of an eye opener. Lots of bulge (but not of the blogger variety- although I can't be so sure some of those dudes don't have blogs...)

Photo Credit: I Don't Know, Maybe.

31 comments:

Anti-Supermom said...

But when you cuddle up with a 'slanket', blogging just feels so right ;)

Vodka Logic said...

I had a bulge long before I blogged..now it is just "worse"

Just up your belly dancing lessons and you'll be trim in no time.

tattytiara said...

Oh no. Mustn't risk spider veins. I'd better remain seated. Besides, if I gain weight I get to go clothes shopping, right?

alessandra said...

I had to check the blog bulge, hahaha!

Jayne said...

'Blog bloat' I really like that!

So standing uses more calories eh? This gives me an idea for a new invention: A harness that will go around the neck and under the laptop, thus allowing the wearer to continue blogging whilst standing....or, better still, walking on the treadmill!

You trademark 'blog bloat', I'm off now to copyright the 'Compu-Harness'!

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

As soon as I read your post title, I sang the song in my head. :-)

I heard that story on the news. ugh. My theory was just always that once you gain weight, that's it...it'll always be a struggle. I never struggled until I gained and then ever since.... *sigh*

You have nothin to worry about girl! You're way ahead of the game, I've seen your pictures!!! ;-)

Dual Mom said...

Yep, at 36 I'm beginning to discover the old adage is quite true.

It's really not fair dammit!!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Depressing but true.

Rebecca Jo said...

I think I even showed my Pulse watch - shows I burn about 1200 calories on runs I do - three times a week... & havent lost but like 2 lbs... SERIOUSLY? Women's bodies were made on the not-fair side of the curve!

Salt said...

Seriously? So that's why I haven't been losing weight.

When we buy a house, I'm going to have to invest in an elliptical trainer and figure out a way to exercise and read blogs at the same time.

NIKOL said...

I will have to look up the article because what exactly do they mean by one hour of exercise? Like, one hour of intense cardio? Is it based strictly on how much time you exercise, or is it the intensity?

In other words: do my frequent trips to the fridge count?

Aunt Juicebox said...

Dang, that means I'm going to have to add an extra 59 minutes of exercise per day to my already grueling workout routine!

buffalodick said...

I have no trouble maintaining my weight..of course it's many pounds more than what I'm supposed to weigh....

Michelle Pixie said...

I won't google blog bulge... there is enough of that going on here for a visual thanks! ;) I did get a new office chair that rolls around maybe I could roll around and use my leg muscle to roll back to were I need to be and get a little exercise that way? :D

Kristin said...

Oh the blog bulge...one of these days I'll get off my arse and try to get rid of it.

McVal said...

I'm a computer programmer, so I sit on my butt all day. The first year out of college I gained 15 lbs... It might have also coincided with the 1st year of marriage and I didn't know how to cook for just 2...
I'm eating lots of salads these days.

Danielle said...

That is horrifying but suspiciously likely. One hour daily just to maintain my larger than I'd like self? Awful. Does that mean if I do two hours I can reduce my weight two times more than maintain?

very frustrating.
D

Randi Troxell said...

i guess i'm ahead then.. i always stand at work.. even when i'm doing boggy stuff.. (at wrk at least.. i hang bloggin on the coat rack when i get home) i stand up..!

Amanda said...

Well... a little belly dancing never hurts right?

I sit a lot blogging... but I also chase after small kids. SO I am going to be screwed when they grow up and I have no one to chase.

;)

Blessings-
Amanda

Big Mama Cass said...

BWAABAAAHAAA I so have to go google blog bulge now LMAO! crackin up over here

oh and cause this is hilar! your word verification wants me to type in "CHUMP" so what are you tryin to say??

Lucy said...

Oh, my gosh this is too funy and I can just 'see' you standing there blogging, me, still comfy on the couch with a blanket!!!

blueviolet said...

Blogging is horrible for weight, absolutely horrible!

Laura said...

12 to 30 extra calories an HOUR!?! Are you kidding me? That's it? You totally ruined my day with that tid bit of info...for some reason I thought it should be more, I don't know, let say 350??

Melissa B. said...

I'm not sure if I have "blog bulge," but I DO have cottage-cheese thighs! And I don't get to read as much as I used to. Let's blame it all on blogging...we'll feel better, oui?

1 Special Family said...

That cracks me up! I joined a gym last week, I was really proud of myself, I called and canceled it the next day! It's a start, right ??? LOL

Lisa Paul said...

What about all that belly dancing? Surely that's burning off the calories -- especially when you are smacking down the Mean Girls.

Janna Bee said...

I stare at a computer screen all day, so yeah, I get this. I have to work out for an hour just to catch up to being a normal person exercise level, if I wanted to lose weight, I probably need 2 hours! Gah! Now I'm depressed.

Also- Jayne's idea is awesome, she should patent that.

Robin said...

Blog Bulge...Lolol...Im laughing , but it ain't funny..sometimes I just pass the computor to read just one blog...and then 2 hours pass...WTF..I need to schedule more..and definitely stand, and maybe STEP while blogging, is that possible..? or we could get the Ellen Chair..did you see the video for that..the exercise chair..that was on Ellen..its on you tube check it out..funny....!!Wow cant we just eat less..why a whole hour everyday... LOl..actually its really not that much, but it seems like a lot to do everyday..Damn it..!..and just for the record..you are my last comment and I am now getting up...!!..Thank You..!

Joy said...

I don't know what the JAMA is but I don't trust them.

Unknown Mami said...

So now I'll have to Stand in the Place Where I Blog?

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

Blog bloat: preaching to the choir! A fair share of us resemble that remark ;)

I dunno about an hour - I've been doing a half hour walk every day, and it's helped me immensely. I think everyone is different, and metabolizes differently. If you haven't had to diet, (besides the fact that it ticks me off NO END to hear people say that, haha) good for you! I'm definitely middle-aged, and blog bloated, and any other random nifty moniker you want to place on me ;)

Have an awesome day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...