Monday, April 12, 2010

A Hairy Situation

I realize that I'll probably catch some flack on this one. Here's the thing: I scheduled a family photo shoot with a photographer last Friday. It's been almost six years since we had a "formal" family pic and I recently discovered a photographer who takes some unusual, edgy-type photos, which was exactly what I had in mind.

In other news, MB has been growing out his goatee, on my suggestion (what was I thinking- and do I not learn from my mistakes? I was also the one who suggested the pRon stache that ended up being featured in our engagement portrait)...at his own suggestion, he decided to color it so he would look younger and more hip. He was pretty enamored with his new facial hair and liked to brush it out. There came a point though when it was starting to get longer and he was looking like one of those WWE wrestling brothers with the beer guts and goatees.


Knowing that the photo shoot was coming up, I tried persuading him to shave it shorter - the way it normally is, just for the pic. It did take some persuading. "Some" as in "a lot" spread out over several weeks. But as you can tell from our trip photos, the beard is now gone.

Well, the photo shoot was on Friday and as of today, the beard and color are both back in action. I think MB fancies that his beard transforms him into this:


My fear, is that it will end up looking more like this:


...but with color.

Here's my question for you: Was it wrong of me to "stifle" his look for purposes of the family photo? or would you have done the same thing?

and should I buy him one of these until it grows back?

Now, you know it is hard for me to resist posting a Beardhead pic :D

24 comments:

~Kristen~ said...

I would have done the same thing you did. When Kevin has a goatee, first it is always me coaxing him in to growing it...then I am the one begging him to shave it off!!! Ironic, huh?

As for Brad, a guy I normally think is one yummy hunk of man meat, that scraggly thing he has got going on right now is all kinds of wrong. It just looks so...dirty!

Jenn@ You know... that blog? said...

Well, as I'm the kinda gal who draws on her sound-asleep hubby with a sharpie when I can't sleep... (only happened once!) I'd have dyed the sucker pink and made him shave the whole thing off.

But that's just me :)

Jayne said...

Men and their beard hair - give them an inch and they'll grow a mile.

But colouring it? That's a lot of hard work when a goatee, *kept short* (!) with a smattering of grey - or even full grey - can look very distinguished. ...Always reminds me of dashing 'architect types'. (Don't ask me why 'architects'. I have absolutely *no* idea). :)

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

I don't blame ya at all. I think Brad Pitt's goatee thing is absolutely disgusting looking.

Rebecca Jo said...

I have knitted quite a few of those bearded hats for friends & family...haha! They are fun to wear!

I totally think you have every right to hold someone down & shave their face if you have to - a good picture lasts forever!

Kristina P. said...

Personally, I love my husband with a goatee. He had to shave it off last year, for his school as a paramedic, and I was sad.

So, personally, I wouldn't care.

Mommy, I'm Home said...

I would have done what you did, but now I'd go buy him a beardhead thingy...

Aunt Juicebox said...

You don't even wanna see my dad's beard. I should post it. It's frightening. Your fears are warranted.

Michelle Pixie said...

I just spit my coffee all over myself I am laughing so hard! I totally make my hubby look the way I want him to look for pix...who am I kidding I make him look how I want to look all of the time but it's a trade I let him have say in how my girly is groomed so it's all fair {I may have overshared...Sorry!}. :D

blueviolet said...

Stifle away! I would have done the same thing!

Those hanging way down beards are horrendous!

Yankee Girl said...

I would have done the same thing! I like my men with a naked face. The one time Leland tried growing a goatee it lasted for only a week because I refused to kiss him with his gross facial hair.

And it was gross. He is not one of those people who look good with facial hair.

Mindy said...

I'm with you. Nix the facial hair for the every 6 years photo. It grows back. :0)

Lisa said...

I would have done the same thing. Britt is usually facial hair free and I actually like it when he had (it was once!) a goatee but he shaved it off without consulting me....the nerve.

Tina said...

Facial hair on a guy really depends on the guy... it doesn't look to bad on my hubby, but it doesn't grow in thick [young'un that he is LOL] and it's really light, so it looks a bit funny. But he has to keep it fully shaved for work, so either way it's a moot point LOL

But I probably would have done the same, formal family pictures should be put together.

LC Neill said...

I think the only thing you need to do is bring out an old photo of him with a perm. Enough said.

Robin said...

I totally am with you..nice and neat for the shoot...and it looks good too...! now what was the judgmental thing you were going to say..Eh..I cant hear ya..?

mac said...

I've had my current beard for 17 years. I have worn it varying lengths, but always a full beard. None of that goatee stuff for me.

Be careful. The shorter it is, the more prickly a beard tends to be.

Randi Troxell said...

i'm alllllll about letting someone be their own person..

but... sometimes.. we just gotta do what we gotta do... i so would have followed your lead!

Salt said...

I'm sorry, but Brad Pitt looks RIDICULOUS with that facial hair.

One thing I have learned being a married person (so far). Never suggest a mustache. Because they will go for it. And then you're stuck with it.

Mommyof2girlz said...

One good thing about the military, hubby always has to be clean shaven. No discussion about facial hair ever. However when he retires, he plans on growing a ZZTop beard..lol

Kristin said...

Please don't let him go Brad!

Slamdunk said...

Ahh, the poor guy. Captain Lou--too funny...

Jennee said...

I can do without facial hair...ewww...that Brad Pitt photo...I'm going to have a nightmare now!

Tracie said...

You are not wrong at all. And Brad Pitt still looks yucky with that stuff on his face.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...