Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Your "Citizenship Swap-Free Zone"

I was relieved to see that the Canadian team of Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir won the ice dance competition last night. (I figured it was high time I finally got around to mentioning that I have been staying up late nights watching the Olympics to the point where I am now looking haggard with circles under my eyes.) Ice dancing makes no sense to "the boys" who quickly meandered away from the TV during the ice dance segments, but I am an absolute sucker for ice skating competitions.


With all the country-swapping going on, such as the American skater who became a citizen of Georgia in order to compete and her siblings who were also born in the U.S. skating for Japan, it just doesn't make much sense (or fairness?) to me and I'm glad to see some bona fide natural-born citizens winning for their home country. I mean, the skater who became a citizen of Georgia had never even set foot in the country, but was looking forward to visiting it!! WTH. If I am going to swap countries, I think I'd have the good sense to at least go and visit it beforehand. But then I'm crazy like that ;-)

It was interesting that the female announcer (who I guess was a former ice dancer) said something to the effect that if you get the opportunity to skate for another country you should seize the opportunity.

Doesn't citizenship mean anything to anyone anymore? Pride in country and all that???? Maybe I am missing something here or am becoming an "old fuddy duddy." (don't answer.)

But back to the Canadians, their performance was flawless and Tessa is so darn cute and perky. I spent most of the night racking my brains out trying to put a finger on who she reminded me of. I knew there was someone- either an actress or someone from my daily interactions that had the same voice, mannerisms and pursed lips as Tessa. I hate it when that happens!! I was literally waking up during the night thinking about it. FINALLY, on the drive to work this morning I remembered who it was - the girlfriend of someone I see only on occasion.

And now I can move on with my day ...

24 comments:

McVal said...

I haven't watched ANY of the Olympics... Just because I haven't thought about it and my life is a complete rush.
I used to love the ice skating competition tho when I did watch. Such talented people!

Kristina P. said...

I don't think citizenship really means a whole lot, when it comes to the Olympics. It's whoever will take you and let you compete.

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

I have been sleeping in from staying up late watching the Olympics....I struggle to not fall asleep.

I did watch Ice Dancing and I have to say I'm not a fan except for the free dance. It might be a tad too much for this girl. ;-)

And I 100% agree about the country/citizenship issue. I just don't get it...I would feel like a traitor competing for another country, but maybe that's just me!

Yankee Girl said...

I am addicted the the Olympics. I haven't been staying up late, but I have DVR'd every viewing and haven't missed one. I love my DVR. It makes the Olympics go so much faster. I swear there are a MILLION commercials.

Oh, and those people who change countries totally suck.

Michelle Pixie said...

Yea I'd have to agree with you on the citizenship thing, but I think loyalty speaks volumes about a person.

I've been staying up late too and I was happy to see them win as well. I was really hoping you were going to tell me she reminded you of someone I might know because I've been racking my brain as well. Maybe that's why she's a favorite...everyone feels like they know her?!

angelcel said...

I agree with you. I find it quite insulting to reap the benefits of living in one country and then represent another at competition time - *especially* one you haven't even visited before.

Unfortunately I *just* missed seeing the Canadians skate on today's BBC Olympic Highlights show. I saw about 10 seconds of them in slo-mo ...which looked wonderful! :)

Carrie said...

And don't forget the total douche moguls guy who is born Canadian, had a hissy fit with the Canadian Ski Association or something and decided to ski for Australia because he moved there back with he was 14. I was so happy when he came SECOND to Canadian Alex Bilodeau.

Ha! Take that lousy traitor.

Oh and depending on which channel you were watching the ice dance on the female commentator was either Jennifer Robinson for CTV (Canadian singles skater) or Tracy Wilson for NBC (Canadian Olympic bronze medalist for ice dance in the 88 Olympics)

buffalodick said...

Rules are good intentions for fairness, and since time began, people will figure out a way around them.. And more rules will be made! It's a nasty circle that never ends.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I totally agree about the citizenship. He should have at least visited.

Kristin said...

The only thing I've watched so far is women's snowboarding. I'm a rotten American. Ah ha

Kaylen said...

I had no idea you could country hop! I might want to be a citizen of Mauritius. I totally want to visit there some day and maybe that would motivate me to go! :)

Lisa Paul said...

C'mon. Ya gotta just go for the Gold. I'm thinking of becoming a citizen of Kazakhstan to compete in the Biathalon. 'Cause whoever put together cross-country skiing and guns was an absolute genius.

Randi Troxell said...

TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY agree with every bit of this post... in fact, i went into a speech about it for hubby other night.. yea, he just watched me with the brows raised!!!!

Lucy said...

I haven't watched the Olympics yet, I usually catch some of it here or there. I'm not into sports much so I was never into all that stuff but I have to admit I never got the switching countries to compete.

Fragrant Liar said...

That's crazy! There should be a law in place that says if you're going to perform on behalf of a country, you should be a bonafide I-Live-There citizen. That's just ridiculous.

I do love the Olympics though. In fact, I'm now in love with the new ski cross, where there's four guys barreling down the hill at the same time. Kind of like roller derby on crack.

Lisa said...

Things that people use to stand up for and be proud of are no longer appreciated.
Things like citizenship,morals...life.
Makes me sick to see what the world's coming to.

AnnQ said...

You know, I feel the same way! When they showed an NHL player who was playing for another country, the first thing I thought was "Traitor!". LOL

Amanda said...

YEAH! Right on girly. I nominate you to make some qualified opinions for me fro now on ok? ;)

Aunt Juicebox said...

I haven't seen any of the Olympics in years. I just don't like sports at all. But the one thing I do like is the ice skating, if it happens to be on somewhere, I'll stop and watch. I've only seen pics online this time though.

Anti-Supermom said...

I just finished watching it on Tivo last night, I was bummed that the American's didn't get gold, but you are right Tessa is too darn perky and they look like a real couple, all in love and junk ;)

It's hard to resist that on the ice.

I think the country swapping stuff is silly, I hope there are more regulations on that in Olympics to come.

Christina said...

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was odd to swap citizenship to a country you've never even been to before.

cmwheeler said...

DH went to work the next day and was all "Did you catch last night's Ice Dancing? No? Oh. How about you? Not you either?" In fact it would appear that of the 60+ people he works with everyday, not one of them watched Ice-Dancing.
To be fair, (and negate the sissy image this projects) while watching together, he told me that he feels that it is his "...duty to watch and support Americans competing at the highest levels." (That's a direct quote btw.)
I then endured a fifteen minute monologue about loyalty to one's country.
We're married for seven years and I had no idea that he was so patriotic!
(Seriously. We don't even own a flag.)

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE ice skating! Escpecially dancing and couples!

Tracie said...

The Olympics are on at my house all the time but I have no idea what has been happening. (Hubs is obsessed.) I get all my Olympics news from reading blogs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...