Friday, February 19, 2010

Monkey Bread Mayhem!

You know why you rarely see a cooking post on my blog? You are soon to find out....

As promised, here is the much ballyhooed Monkey Bread post, with a little a lot of help from my bloggy friend Laura.

It all started a couple of weeks ago. I was reading Laura's blog, while sitting next to VC watching TV. I said, "VC-have you ever heard of Monkey Bread? It looks good." VC said, "Yeah, the girls down the street said they were going inside (from playing in the snow) to eat some Monkey Bread."

I took this as some type of karmic sign ...Which can only mean one thing- I had to try it the next day.

Here's where the trouble began. I was stuck at work, so MB offered to go to the grocery store. I read him the list and was very specific. He called me from the store when he got to the part about the rolls. As you will see, Laura's recipe calls for 18 small rolls. MB could not locate the small rolls, only a pack of three larger loaves. We figured it was likely the equivalent of 18 rolls - riiiiigggghhhhhttt - you'll see how that turned out in a sec..

Without further ado, here's Laura's recipe (reprinted with her permission b/c I'm an Ethical Blogger ;-)

Ingredients:
1/2 a bag of Rhodes frozen rolls (about 18)
1 box of cook and serve butterscotch pudding (NOT instant pudding)
1 stick of butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

The night before:
- Melt butter and mix with brown sugar and cinnamon
- Put the rolls in a buttered bundt cake pan. (do not use an angel food cake pan)
- Sprinkle the pudding powder over the rolls.
- Then pour the butter/sugar mix over that.

Here's Laura's photo of what it should look like at that point:
Then leave it on your counter over night and in the morning they should look like this (Laura's photo)...
Now *ahem* compare that to the photo of my Monkey Bread (made from 3 LOAVES) - in the am:

- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
- Flip over the pan and dump the monkey bread out on a plate/tray.


Here's my Final cooked Monkey Bread (can anyone spot the bundt pan???)
This also may or may not have been what precipitated my decision to run the self-cleaning oven cycle - which then lead to my thinking that VC had passed out and was unable to call me on the phone....

Now do you see why I rarely post my cooking exploits on my blog :D

Seriously though, the recipe, when cooked properly, is Excellent. Thanks Laura, for the inspiration! (If you do decide to make the recipe keep in mind: 3 LOAVES do not equal 18 small rolls)

....and to think but a week ago I was making fun of this misprint ;-) who's the idiot now! (doh!)

33 comments:

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

oh carma! you're so funny. I've never made monkey bread so I'm sure I would have done something similar ;-)

Joy said...

Okay, well maybe not as aesthetically pleasing but it looks like it was just as tasty!

Mel said...

That was hilarious! I'm sorry to laugh at your expense, but that made me laugh out loud....I had a similar problem this week, only the opposite. I made a chocolate cake, and instead of baking soda, I used baking powder. My cake was a pancake....:) I had to start all over. But the second one tasted delicious. Stopping by from SITS.:)

Amanda said...

Ha! Love it. You totally rocked that monkey bread girl!! Kicked butt and didn't take names. You don't need the constraints of a PAN for baking! ;)

Be blessed!
Amanda

angelcel said...

Oh but this looks fabulous - there's enough there to feed Her Majesty's 3rd Light Infantry! Who's complaining! :D

Randi Troxell said...

oh!

i am laughing sooo hard right now, but NOT too hard b/c i am NOT a cook.. i've had monkey bread.. but its sooo been store bought.. never made by me!!

have a wonderful wkend!!!!

Yankee Girl said...

CANNOT STOP LAUGHING!!!

And now I can barely see the words as I type because my eyes are filled with tears!

Thanks for the morning laugh!

strokeofliving said...

The bread looks good Carma, it's just in the incorrect pan, it's too small. I encourage you to continue posting about food. Just invest in proper items. I have your back.

Thanks to Laura to helping you. Monkey bread is the best!

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Oh, that's scary. Kind of looks like someone is wearing way too tight pants...

Kristina P. said...

My grandmother made THE BEST monkey bread in the world. I miss her!

Michelle Pixie said...

Dying! There is water in my eyes! I use one of those loaves to make a large pizza (all rolled out of course), I loved this!!

JennyMac said...

HAHAHAHAHA....I cracked up when I could NOT see the bundt pan. LOL.

First, monkey bread = YUM YUM YUM. And we make it often although I have never left it out overnight...hmmmm...that may be the reason for the giant monkey balloon. I am not laughing AT you at all either darlin!

buffalodick said...

You didn't make monkey bread, you made gorilla bread! I'd eat it any day!

Terin said...

I've been wanting to make some Monkey Bread. I had it for the first time when Baby J was in NICU!

At least yours was edible...:)

Laura said...

Oh.My.Gosh!! I am laughing so hard right now, seriously almost crying! You are too funny! Thanks for letting us learn from your mistakes...3 big ones does NOT equal 18 little ones! :) Good luck next time girl!
Have a great weekend!

Robin said...

OMG..I cant stop laughing...Im not a poster of cooking either...still LMAO...Awwww yours is cute though...it looks like (sadly) The Elephant Man...LOL..but I would eat it anyway..Im going to make this though...except for yours, it looks so easy...without the bundt...OMG...

Where the Fur Flies said...

I've made that recipe many times without problems, but it looks like my buns are a lot smaller than yours to start off with. (Please don't take that statement the wrong way.)

BTW - instant pudding works fine in this recipe.

Salt said...

AHHHHH!!!! That's the craziest bread I've ever seen! OMG this post is hilarious. Did you taste it? Was it good??

Michele said...

You crack me up. I have sooo missed reading your posts since I've been away this week.

Must try that monkey bread thing. Looks yum!!!

The Grasshoppa aka: Triplets Plus Two Momma said...

Your brave. It's the thought that counts. You will NEVER see a cooking episode on my blog!!

Could you eat some of it anyway?!

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

You bake the way I bake!

It might look funny, but I bet it tasted good. I think I NEED some Monkey Bread...

Glad to hear you survived Jury Duty. Sometimes the worst that happens is you are just bored to death!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

It is a little bigger than it should be but how'd it taste?

~Kristen~ said...

Just look at it this way...you really can never have too much monkey bread!!! :-)

Lucy said...

Can you buy Monkey Bread you know like at the Bakery?? Because, I'm thinking you need to just go to the Bakery, that is my solution!

Shawn said...

Oh, you made me laugh---you funny gal---thanks for that!! I bet it tasted yummy, though!! :)

Rebekah said...

hahaha!!! I tried making Monkey Bread once, and it wasn't pretty - I don't know what I did wrong, so you're one step ahead of me :)

Tracie said...

I do that kind of stuff all the time. I'm always substituting inappropriate ingrediants or leaving things out. I need a chef.

Leproust Vintage said...

oh my lord!! Monkey bread is my favvvvvorrite! Along with your great story, I have one too. A co-worker made monkey bread one day, to which I exclaimed, "I love monkey balls, awesome!" Yes, I really thought they were called monkey balls for a long time. I mean, it makes sense right? The dough is rolled into balls!

Stereos and Souffles said...

It all goes down the same! At least that's my excuse when my baking turns bad.

alessandra said...

You absolutely should post your cooking exploits, more often, so funny.
Couldn't you make smaller rolls out of the three loaves?

San Diego Momma said...

Oh that's pretty! It looks like a fat swan!
But the real question is, how did it taste?

Love,
The Queen of Fat Swan Cooking Disasters

Janna Bee said...

Looks like Gorilla bread. Ba dum bum. Ok that was bad, but it's a Monday so, free pass?

I bet it still tasted good though!

Aunt Juicebox said...

The best monkey bread I ever had was from a Paula Deen recipe where you put sweetened cream cheese inside each ball of dough. Drooooool.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...