Monday, February 22, 2010

Juror #184232

Last Thursday was my first time doing Jury Duty. I was a little stressed since it would require a trip to the "big city." But, armed with my trusty new GPS, I arrived at the courthouse by 7:10 AM.

I was impressed with the juror accomodations. It is a fairly new courthouse, so everything was nice and clean with comfy chairs, the goal being to keep us all happy being it was a pain in the butt inconvenience for most. I was eager to get it over with, but I have to admit, in a way it was a nice break from my job, which says a lot...

The woman who was heading up the orientation bragged about how the jury room had some of the best wi-fi in the courthouse. Having brought my laptop, I was eager to check it out. After 6 failed attempts to connect to the internets, I learned from the juror next to me that the system had been out for over a day and that there was a "ticket" in to get it back up and running....This being city government, the translation was: "ain't no way you are getting on your laptops today."

But, there being more than one way to skin a cat, I moseyed on over the room where the desktops were stationed and discovered the internet was working. This was good, because I had decided the best way to fill up 7 hours of nothingness: Deleting the 13,797 emails that were in my Yahoo! inbox. And I'm not kidding on that one. Come to find out all the emails I had been deleting since last February 27th were only getting deleted from the folder (this was for a subaccount) - but not officially deleted from the inbox.

But carma, why didn't you just do a "clear all?" Good question: Because I'm anal and would save emails from months back because they may have had some important info in them, so a "clear all" was out. Which left only one option: going through them one by one. A lesser person person with a big important job and serious hobbies whose time was invaluable would have been overwhelmed by this challenge, but I was not to be deterred and so I began with number 13,797 and ever so slowly worked my way down to 12,300 before getting word over the intercom at 3:00 PM saying that my group was dismissed, never even having made it into the courtroom....

I am happy to report that, three days later, my inbox is now down to a much more manageable number of 9,400.

30 comments:

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

holy moly!

Ann On and On... said...

That is too funny! I would have had some of the same thoughts...and deleted one at a time. As for the duration, I'm not sure how long it would have lasted.

Kristin said...

Ummmmmm, would it horrify you to know that my current count is 39,750? Not so much good at the whole deleting thing. Ah ha ha

angelcel said...

My old email account seemed to attract all kinds of spam so that's a story I'm familiar with. I too liked to check what was there...just to be sure! Now I'm with Google there is far less spam and I'm in the habit of having a clearout every morning. It's glorious and a habit I can therefore recommend getting in to. :)

tattytiara said...

I think you're the first person I've met with a more massive backlog of e-mail that needed to be deleted than I have. Fight the good fight, sister!

Lily said...

ahh, I thought my 3,000+ emails were a llot, lol.

Thank you very much for the welsome to SITS comment you left me, have a great week ;)

Vodka Logic said...

HOLY Crap.. thats a lot of email..

Jury duty is a pain in the butt but a necessary one. I have been called several times but never needed. Was a witness once now theres a story. lol

alessandra said...

13797 Geez! There is mail for you.

Lucy said...

Sounds like you were working hard performing that civic duty (LOL). Darn, no good murder trial for the Blog!

Melissa B. said...

Well, that's one way to kill time while waiting for your "summons" to do your duty! You should be glad you were excused. I did a trial in DC once...lots of time, lots of trouble, lots of stress! Listen, wanted to let you know I'm hosting the Academy Awards of Bloggy Bling today, and you're a recipient! Have a lovely...

Robin said...

Holy Shit..is all I can say..I get nervous when it says 50..WTF ..you are a riot....maybe you need another day at court..LOL..!

~Kristen~ said...

Damn girl!!! Get a gmail account and you won't have to worry about those crazy numbers!!! :-)

pegbur7 said...

You just made me feel much better. Mine was at 1,000 and I was overwhelmed! Glad you're working that baby down. Give you a week of jury duty and you'll have that thing whooped! :-)

Tater Tot Mom said...

Holy crap, that's a lot of emails! I'm a deleting machine when it comes to that stuff.

I actually got called to Jury Duty a couple of years ago...horrible experience and I hope I never have to do it again. Let's just say that I was the hold out and that really sucked.

Mommy, I'm Home said...

You're like me with my blog reading. Oh, but I only have 3,000 more blogs to read today....

Aunt Juicebox said...

I had this happen once, although I think I was only around 10K emails, and one day, I seriously just deleted them all. And I've never missed whatever might have been the reason I kept them in the first place.

buffalodick said...

I've never been called for jury duty...wife twice..

Michelle Pixie said...

It's nice to know jury duty can be good for something! {I am totally crazy like that too and have to delete one by one because I don't want to miss anything important. Although I should just face reality that nothing in my life is ever that important!} ;)

Aleta said...

*sputters* 9,400??? OMG... I can't imagine. I think my email would explode or something!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Wow I thought I keep a lot of emails. I have 982. I need to weed them down again.

Randi Troxell said...

oh my! that number would totally freak me out!

Lisa said...

I have to clean my inbox every. single. day.
It will drive me nuts if I don't!

Salt said...

That is officially the most emails I have ever seen in my life. I'm surprised your inbox wasn't full!!!

I had an old email account that was somewhat like this. I would forget to check it and then when I would log in months later I would have like 1000 junk mails. In fact, I still have that account. I'm afraid to even go look at it to see how many are in there now.

Lemondrop Marie said...

OMG! That is hysterical- I have tons of emails to go through too but your number is quite a bit higher. You have more friends obviously.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Happy Chinese New Year giveaway

Erica|UPrinting said...

Wow that's really a lot! good luck on that, me I just delete them all. I don't have the patience to check them all one by one. So after that, maybe you should make it a daily habit to check your mail. hehehe

Christina said...

Wow! You really can accomplish something on jury duty. Glad I'm not the only one hoarding email though.

SonyaAnn said...

That is a ton of emails. I think that I would have seriously thought about just hitting delete. And then the anal side of me would have kicked in and done the same thing as you!

strokeofliving said...

Oh dear oh dear thousands of emails. Wow. But who am I to talk? The reason I switched from AOL to G-mail was because I could save every single email ever if I wanted. I forwarded important AOL emails to G-mail so I could save paper and quickly find a conversation if necessary. Besides G-mail is FREE. AOL is not.

I am big on research and I-told-you-so. The best I-told-you-so is 'evidence' - thus Gmail. I have thousands too but not in my inbox. Okay now that I've told on myself ...back to you.

Sorry that you didn't get the chance to actually witness a courtroom drama.

Maybe next time.

Amanda said...

LOL You totally made me laugh out loud. I would LOVE try to Jury Duty someday! Well. When my kids are grown and I am really old and have nothing to do. But soon! ;)

Blessings-
Amanda

Tracie said...

You are worse than me! I'm freaking out because I have 5 pages of email in my in-box.

I create different folders for e-mails that I want to reger to later. I have no idea how full those are. I enjoy an empty in-box.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...