Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Hunchback of Shik Shak Shok


Why am I wearing a backpack in the kitchen? Well, it goes a little somethin' like this: ♫ ♪ cold coolin' at a bar - errrr...not exactly- here's the story:

We had a busy weekend, which included my belly dance group entertaining at a craft fair. I got all dressed up in my tribal costume:

which included the new headpiece I created (and necklace I purchased at a yard sale for $1!!!) and was feeling pretty good about things until:

A. I came outside and discovered someone had door dinged the Element in the parking lot :-(

and

B. I went home and watched the video and discovered how horrible my slumped posture looked. This is one of the better pictures, but you can still see how my spine curves and my head is pushed forward.
Out of pure vanity, I chose to delete the rest. I've always been plagued with poor posture and was always the kid pulled aside when they did the scoliosis screening in elementary school. I hope to one day stand tall and proud like the rest of the girls and not be the slouched over one who resembles this:

I'm actually in fairly decent shape and lift weights and do stomach exercises to strengthen my core; yet I still look hunched. I also tried the i-Posture and had high hopes until I realized it made a buzzing sound that was hard to muffle. Whenever my boss was around I'd have to clear my throat to cover up the buzzing. That and the issue of it not going off until I was incredibly slumped- and that it required a new button cell battery just about every week- caused me to put it in the drawer where I put all the other stuff that came with glowing promises but did not deliver...

In the meantime I'm researching alternative spinal treatments and am walking around the house with an 8 lb weight in a backpack in order to pull back my shoulders. (I did not make this up. I read it in a posture book.)

Hence, the backpack.

BTW, If you like cold hard cash (uh, yeah!!!), there is a $5,000 cash giveaway you may be interested in here (plus some nice baubles...)

25 comments:

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Let me know if the backpack trick works for you. My posture is horrible!

buffalodick said...

You look better than fine! Don't sweat the small stuff...

~Kristen~ said...

I have never heard about the backpack trick. I bet both my hubs and I could benefit from that!

I think you look great in your belly dance pic! I never would've thought you looked like your slouching!

Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife said...

I have bad posture too. I thought about trying a posture bra, but I've heard they don't help any. Keep us updated on the backpack, if it works, I'd try it! I need my shoulders pulled back something fierce.

AnnQ said...

Sometimes Posture is one of those things you have to be conscious of until it becomes second nature :-) (I'm completely anal about standing up straight :-) )

Arizona Mamma said...

Wow! That's crazy. My husband could use that with a 20 pound dumbell inside!

Thanks for visiting my blog this week.

Lisa Paul said...

Three words for you: Pu-La-Teez. Okay, one word: Pilates.

Or else learn another word: SANCTUARY!!!!! Which you'll recognize from any proper Hunchback of Notre Dame movie.

angelcel said...

Well you look just great to me but as it's something that is obviously bothering you I'd echo what AnnQ says. Making a conscious effort, endlessly reminding yourself, does eventually make it all second nature. If I sound as though I move like an elegant swan don't be fooled. I've let my posture slide in recent years and am at the stage of constantly reminding myself to stand tall. Let us know how you get on. :)

Together We Save said...

Wow - I would think the backpack would make it worse. That costume is amazing!!

Aunt Juicebox said...

Ugh, I have terrible posture. For two reasons, big chest and tall height. I've always felt self conscious, so I hunch.

alessandra said...

Is it possible that you are a bit too hard with yourself? just saying ;)

A Mother's Thoughts said...

You look better then some of us!! Hunch back and all!! Do you have asthma? Sometimes if you have had asthma in your life that automatically weakens your ribs. Known fact!! lol

I love your belly dancing outfit! Very pretty.

Lynn

Lisa said...

I see no hunchback! You look great! I should do the backpack thing for sure...my hubby will think i'm crazy! LOL

Yankee Girl said...

Reading this made me sit up straight.

And you look beautiful as usual.

I am really sorry to hear about the Element.

Housewife Savant said...

The answer is boobs.
What was the question?

You look beautiful.
What was that we said about a skillion pix...?

Big Mama Cass said...

There is a strap you can get to help pull your shoulders back. I can't remember what it's called. They made my ex husband wear one cause he hunched a lot. Go to a Better Back store.

Bree said...

I have terrible posture too. I'm always slouched over! Thanks for welcoming me to SITS!

Lucy said...

You are such the perfectionist and too funny. Now, you don't really have an eight pound weight in the back pack do you? nah, really?

strokeofliving said...

How clever, a backpack. But don't worry dah'ling you still look great in the belly dance smackdown performance with or without a straight spine.

sewa mobil said...

Nice article
Keep posting stuff like this i really like it. Thx.

Michelle Pixie said...

I have the worst posture...I still hear my mother's voice ringing in my ears "Stand up straight, young lady." UGH!

SonyaAnn said...

I think you look great.
I too hunch and I hate it. I would be so tall if I could stand up straight! I heard to leave a hanger in your clothes. Not that I have tried it but it is supposed to keep you straightened up.

f8hasit said...

I'd be a hunchback anyday if I looked as good at it as you do!
:-)

Cranky Mommy said...

Have you tried a posture support under garment? There are kinds that just go around the shoulder area that would probably be wearable with your costume. And other styles that support the ribcage or even all the way down to your abdomen.

sewa mobil said...

really an interesting story about the hunchback

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...