Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Another Thing I Do Really Really Well!

And it's called Catastrophic Thinking! Here's an example from yesterday:

I was expecting a call from VC. 10 minutes went by; Then 15. Starting to worry. Called home a couple of times; No answer.

Waited 5 more minutes. Called a neighbor. No sign of VC. Remaining calm but getting concerned.

Remembered I had set the stove on "self-clean" earlier in the morning and the house was not vented, i.e. windows all shut.

Mind starts churning. Picturing VC at home passed out on the floor. Unable to call. Possibly brain damage has already set in. It's almost 45 minutes past call time.

Call another neighbor who says her child was already picked up by her dad at the normal time; starting to panic; ask her in high pitched voice if she can check on VC. Two seconds later her child walks in the door; mom was mistaken. This means VC should be home any minute.

Breathe huge sigh of relief but dial phone and VC still does not answer the phone. Mind starts thinking: OMG. He DID walk into the house and seconds later passed out from the fumes. Call two more times; FINALLY, an answer. My "Little Bugaboo" is alive and well :D

I ask him if he smells any fumes and he says that the house just smells like cinnamon (from Monkey Bread- story to come) I tell him to air the house out anyway, you know, just in case the cinnamon smell is really noxious fumes.

Whether he is 4 or 14 or 44 my reaction will still be the same (assuming I don't go on medication before then ;-)

But, take a look at my spankin' clean oven!!!

Note to self: Never use self-cleaning oven again when not at home. Or dryer. Or any other appliance that is mechanical in nature. Buy only hand-operated appliances in the future. Start looking on ebay for washboards and washlines and a woodburning stove. Wood burning - what, am I insane!!!! Fire!! Clearly, the only solution is to take up a raw food diet like Gwynnie Paltrow.

20 comments:

alessandra said...

Never use self-cleaning oven again when not at home. Or dryer. Or any other appliance...wise girl!

Beth said...

We managed to take our oven beyond the self-cleaning capabilities. I need to by some canned fumes and roll up my sleeves. At least I'll be home when I do that.

Lucy said...

I hate that panic feeling when said child is not answering the phone and thoughts start churning. I know how you felt yesterday!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I panic like that too.

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh lady... I can build up a story in my mind of the most tragic outcome over something that is so stupid... so I totally relate...

And YIPEE for a clean oven!

Mommy, I'm Home said...

I'm always panicking like that too. Whenever DialogDog is running late and I can't reach him on the phone, I convince myself that he's been in a terrible accident...

Laura said...

I would have panicked after the first ring...you did good mom! :) "assuming I don't go on medication before then" hahaha no kidding!
Can't wait to see the monkey bread!

JennyMac said...

WISE advice. We do leave the dryer on sometimes when we leave..always makes me sketchy and it doesnt need to be done!

And our housekeeper lined our oven with foil...oh does it stay SO much cleaner! And why did I never think of this!

Kristina P. said...

I am the QUEEN of catastrophic thinking. I don't think I've ever used the self-cleaning feature on our oven.

Randi Troxell said...

lovely and CLEAN looking oven.. looks awesome!

and i HATE HATE the way i panic over the craziest crap... hubby will be working graveyard, and i'm convinced while laying in bed that i did NOT lock all the door, so i hafta get up, get cold and check them all... and of course i locked them!!!

Yankee Girl said...

Oohhh! I don't know if that's sweet or neurotic. Either way I got a good laugh!

Tater Tot Mom said...

Hubby had a bit of a breakdown like this yesterday when I didn't realize the phone was off the hook...oops! I wish I had a self cleaning oven!

Mommyof2girlz said...

Wanna come over and do my oven too...lol P.s. I would have been panicking (okay freaking)out too..lol

McVal said...

That is a BEAUTIFULly clean stove!! I'm glad he came home!
Oh and I've been there in your situation! I start to panick if the girls are walking home and they're not here by 4.

Kristin said...

Wasn't the shiny clean oven worth all the worry? Ah ha ha

Lisa said...

Man the things your mind can put ya thru! I hate when they don't answer the phone cause I do the same thing.

Tracie said...

I baked bananna bread the other day and it overflowed in the oven. Complete mess. I scooped out most of it and put the oven on self clean when I went to bed. Woke up to a horrible burning smell thinking that the house was on fire.

Salt said...

That is one CLEAN oven!!
But yes definitely not worth the scare. :) I'm glad VC is ok. My brain totally would have been doing the same thing.

My curiosity is peaked over this "monkey bread". I'm assuming it's not made of real monkeys. Either that or monkeys smell like cinnamon? I'll be staying tuned. :)

BrnEyedGal said...

Oh ROFL...Carma you are a hoot girl!
You have me in stitches here...with the wood burning oven and then the "no, not wood burning oven, fire!" hahahaha.
But I do the same thing. And I am even afraid of leaving a slow cooker going when Im not home. Seriously, I dont use it unless Im home, what's the sense in that? LOL

Have a great one...
Danielle

Aunt Juicebox said...

My oven doesn't have self cleaning, so no worries. I just do things like catch oven mitts on fire by dropping them on the element as I'm pulling things out of the oven. But at least I'm there when it happens and can put out the fire. heh

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...