Friday, December 11, 2009

I Can't Take Anymore GOOD NEWS!!

If you've been watching the morning shows this week, they've been covering all sorts of "feel good" stories. The Today Show has been doing a Good News segment. I guess it is in keeping with the holiday spirit. Yesterday they featured a family that had I think it was 9 kids, many of them adopted; The mother and her husband had even planned to adopt more, but sadly he passed away last year at the age of 48 from complications from diabetes - The family had hit on hard times....Enter Walmart to make the Christmas special for the kids...The family walked outside to find their lawn had been decorated with lots of coats, laptops, etc....choked back tears and hugs ensued.

Today the featured story was of a guy who was in peak shape, completing marathons and competing in the Iron Man challenge. Then in 2007 he had a horrific bicycle accident and was paralyzed from the waist down. Doctors didn't think he would walk, but he defied them and is not only "walking" but also climbed many flights of stairs at a fundraiser for the rehabilitation center. All this while maintaining a sunny outlook.

Yes, this is all fantastic news!!! The problem is that I watch the show while working out and in order to keep from sobbing all over my elliptical, I have to keep running to get tissues!! I've been literally bursting out in tears....

Tomorrow I'll keep the tissue box on the mat next to the elliptical. Although, with all of this pre-planning it will probably be a "bad news" segment.

Over at Good Morning America, the message boards have been buzzing over the change in hosts: Diane Sawyer moving to anchor World News Tonight and Chris Cuomo moving to 20/20. Diane will be replaced by George "Yawn" Stephanopoulus - big mistake!! and the affable Chris will be replaced by the more serious JuJu Chang. I suspect their ratings will be taking a bit of a plunge. I think that Chris is really the biggest loss. I loved his corny humor and easygoing nature...What are your thoughts??

Have a great weekend everbody!

25 comments:

McVal said...

I don't watch that program, so I couldn't say...
But I know what you mean. Certain times of the month, anything "feel good" or "touching" and I'm a mess. Using my kids clothes for kleenex if nothing else is handy...
Have a great weekend! keep the tissues close!

Kathie @ my net finds said...

I bawl at that kind of stuff! I don't watch the show, but I think George "Yawn" Stephanopoulus is definitely a snooze.

Cristina said...

My fav anchor person is that guy from NY1. Talk about a dry sense of humor. Since I moved to the boonies, I don't get that channel anymore so I protest everyone, just to show that I can be passive aggressive too.

xx

Cristina

Lucy said...

I stopped watching the morning shows, they just irritate me and those stories do make me cry too!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I get misty watching some of the commercials at this time of the year.

Aleta said...

What kind of elliptical do you have? Greg is trying to convince me to get one after Christmas, but there are so many different types. I want something that doesn't hurt my knees.

Amanda said...

I sobbed just READING that!!!

And I dont watch any morning shows...well, other then Dora and Word World, so the latter news doesnt affect me much.

BUT! I was ALL in support of them canceling Adam Lambert! Yuck.

Blessings!
Amanda

Vodka Logic said...

I am over the morning show divas [men and women] and their over inflated egos and paychecks. It is nice that they help those in need.. and Yes I would have needed tissues as well.

Yankee Girl said...

I don't watch those shows. WAAAY to much reality for me! I prefer to hang out in my blissful land of not knowing what the hell is going on. I only JUST learned about the Duggars a few months ago in a blog.

BUT I heart George. He looks like he would be really good at snuggling.

I'm interested to see if GMA's ratings plummet due to the changes. I like George and I still will not be watching.

Randi Troxell said...

i think these good news segments are awesome.. but the older i get.. i find myself crying ALL THE FREAKING TIME... seriously, even at stupid commercials... i know, right!?!?

have a WONDERFUL wkend!!!!

Christina said...

Wait... you have an elliptical machine? I am so jealous. Ok, maybe not. Like I need something around here collecting dust.

Maureen said...

It's kinda funny that "good news" stories can make me cry more easily than "bad news" stories.

Mommyof2girlz said...

I watch GMA every morning and was so sad to see lovely Diane's last day and I adore Chris, he is the funniest co anchor ever. I do not think I will like it as much now. Might have to find another show..been with GMA for as long as I can remember. How things change.

~Kristen~ said...

I saw that segment on the Today show this morning about the gentleman who climbed those stairs!!! Bawled my eyes out!!!

As for GMA, I was never a big fan to begin with but now, with them showing a blatantly homophobic, bigoted attitude in canceling Adam Lambert's performance I definitely won't watch them!

blueviolet said...

I normally don't watch that morning show but I agree with your assessment that those changes are not going to help AT ALL!

Joy said...

I don't watch the morning shows Carma, but I'm sure you're right about the impending ratings plunge.

AnnQ said...

I usually watch the Today Show, but when I travel to Memphis for work, for some reason the Hilton doesn't get that channel (or I can't find it...), so I watch Good Morning America. I definitely think Chris' humor is nice and sarcastic! :-)

Triplets Plus Two Momma said...

I got enough treadmill issues going on, what with the whole ipod touch for idiots manual in one hand and the ipod in the other.

I couldn't possibly add crying to my mulit-tasking abilities.

And don't even get me started on that whole "Christmas Shoes" song.

For serious? Like our real life isn't scabbed over with personal loss and pain as it is. Pa-lease.

Bridget (@bcyberchondriac) said...

I'm too grumpy for those good news stories anyway. January, where are you?

Melissa B. said...

In the newspaper biz, we call these stories "thumbsuckers." I'm not quite sure why, but they're supposed to really get to you. Mission Accomplished, I guess...

Bridget (@bcyberchondriac) said...

Melissa, thumbsuckers?! I'm in journalism biz and never heard that. That's awesome. I also like nosepicker, the part of the profile of someone that's "real" and not so nice. Like, "he picks his nose." always loved this term.

kys said...

I don't watch GMA. I'm a Today show gal. I do agree on the yawn factor of George. Tis the season for feel good stories. Isn't your heart growing 3 sizes with each one?

Yaya said...

Hmmm...you could be on to something. Crying is another calorie burning, so you're doing a double work out!

Kristin said...

Why does everyone hate all over George? Me no get it.

Shawn said...

Well----I am a zombie in the morning and never watch any of those shows----so I can't rightly say, my dear....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...