Thursday, November 12, 2009

Petticoats and Poker


The other day VC went on a field trip. This was not just ANY fieldtrip. It was a $34 field trip! (what happened to the days of the $5 field trip???) to a restored village about 2 hours away.

Kids were allowed to bring iPods and other things to keep busy on the chartered bus ride. VC wisely decided to leave his iPod at home, which is good because then I did not have to help him conduct a search and rescue upon his return when he would have realized he left it on the bus or worse....

It was a long day, having to be at school at 6:30 am and not getting home until 7:00 pm. I asked him if he slept on the bus on the way home and his answer was, "No. I played poker." Apparently he decided to bring a deck of cards (along with his Rubiks Cubes) and he and his buddy played Black Jack and Texas Hold 'Em most of the way home.

(You heard about the 21 year old winning over 8 million at Poker the other day.) It never hurts to know when hold 'em. (I swear I couldn't resist. I did not want to use that line.) Especially if he one day finds himself in a jam - and can't raise enough cash with his busker skills. He may need to hustle up a few bucks with his poker game. [Just thinking worst case scenarios here.]

Funny story: When we attended back to school night when VC was in second grade, there was a bulletin board outside the classroom decorated with pictures the kids drew of something they liked to do. Most wrote things like: Play soccer, jump rope, blah, blah, blah, and then we glanced over to VC's picture and activity. It was labeled: I like playing poker.

Even as a second grader, he didn't fit the "mold" :D Yes, we used to give him his own little stack of chips to use when we played cards for fun.

Before you call us irresponsible, I learned just this past weekend (in USA Weekend) that there are Three Invaluable Life Lessons you can learn from playing poker:

(1) Look for subtle clues - Important in business as well as in your personal life
(2) Be objective - Learn to put aside emotions (this does not apply to bloggers ;-)
(3) Remember the past - Past performance is your best indicator of future results.

This holiday season, forget the Barbies and Thomas Train Sets (I am clueless as to what the new 'hot' kiddie gifts are), instead pick up one of those felt-lined poker cases with chips for your little one :D They'll thank you in 20 years.


Photo Credit: jking89

Still time to enter my giveaways here and here!

26 comments:

Vodka Logic said...

I glanced over the article too. Wonder if a toy company wrote it lol...

Wish I had learned to play. Wonder if dominoes is as good. :)

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I like Poker but I stink at it. Maybe I should have started playing earlier.

Kristina P. said...

These are excellent reasons to teach kids poker.

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Running out to buy some poker chips for The Midge right now....

Kathie @ my net finds said...

I love it!!!! I'm picturing myself in the teacher's shoes...seeing the student who likes to play poker, I would have been amused!

I've never learned how to play poker, I wish I did!

Rebecca Jo said...

My mom tried to teach me poker at a young age... my mom's side is a VERY Italian family & she learned as a young girl & thought I should learn too.. I'm still not good at it! :)

strokeofliving said...

Yes, there was a story about that kid on TV yesterday [I forget which channel I watched] anyway he was surrounded by piles of his $ eight million and a display of the two cards that won the pot. It was an obnoxious but fun visual to watch. Encourage VC, ya never know...these kids are different from when we were coming up.

AK said...

Hey..Just wanted to let u know that I am back.Nice going. Takecare.keep in touch

Randi Troxell said...

actually i think it ROCKS he loves poker so much.. that is just so terribly cool to me!!!

blueviolet said...

That completely cracked me up! Poker, hahaha

Laura said...

He is my kind of guy!! I hope he becomes the NEXT youngest kid to win the WSOP...then you can blog about it. :)

Kristin said...

I wonder if they make them for toddlers?

Big Mama Cass said...

haha that is awesome!! i am a bit of a poker lover myself, so I think thats great! :)

Lucy said...

My daughter takes a deck of cards with her everywhere, she loves poker and many other card games!

Tater Tot Mom said...

I think that's awesome and the Life Lessons make total sense...I'm definitely going to have to learn to play better!

Leproust Vintage said...

I love that your son played poker...I still do not know how to play!

Thank you for all of your well wishes! You are so sweet! :)

Tammy Howard said...

I do not have what you might want to call a poker face. Perhaps if I'd worked on it from a younger age...

kys said...

I think your family has the best hobbies!

Lisa Paul said...

Everything you need to know about poker, you can learn from Kenny Rogers:

"You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run.

You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done.

Janna Bee said...

Hmmm....good to know! I used to know all the games, now I barely remember regular old poker. (Back before the internets that's how we amused ourselves in school too.)

Amanda said...

Great logic my dear!! This reminds me of celebrity Apprentice where Joan Rivers kept yelling at Annie Duke and calling her names like, "Poker player!"

Ha! Funny.

You have a blessed day!
Amanda

Bianca said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest! I wish I learned poker as a child...come to think of it I hardly know any card games!

Kaylen said...

Poker is a MATH lesson -hello??? It's like homeschooling your children in math and teaching logic...it's def educational.

My son has loved poker forever - he was about 7 when his grandfather (who has since passed away) taught him the basics. He has loved it ever since.

Bridget (@bcyberchondriac) said...

I'm with Tammy! I feel like if I'd learned poker as kid I'd have a snowball's chance of not having a face that's as readable as a book! As it is, I give everything away with my expressions. I'm a terrible player. Go poker kids! I'm buying a set for my twin boys when they're a bit bigger!

Anti-Supermom said...

Thank you very much... I now have the song lyrics 'you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em...'

Aunt Juicebox said...

I don't really know how to play poker, or any card games really...unless computer solitaire counts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...