Saturday, October 24, 2009

An Update

Many of you expressed interested in my post about self-help guru James Arthur Ray, of The Secret fame, and the Sweat Lodge deaths earlier this week. (I cannot say the same for my second eggplant post ;-)

I came across some further details on abcnews.com that shed further light on the goings on inside the 120 degree sweat hut and the actions of Mr. Ray.
I'll quote directly from the source so you can see just how hideous the events inside the tent became:

"Survivor Beverly Bunn told The Associated Press that even while people were collapsing, vomiting and gasping for air, Ray, who was leading the ceremony, urged everyone to stay inside.

More than 60 people were gathered inside the tent hoping to cleanse their bodies. But within the hour people began to collapse and vomit, Bunn said.

While people were not physically forced to remain in the tent, Bunn said Ray would chide them if they wanted to leave, saying weakness could be overcome, according to the AP..........Bunn said the sweat lodge ceremony came after days of mentally and physically taxing exercises, including fasting, and in one game Ray played God."

Can you imagine being pressured to stay in the tent, vomiting and barely able to breathe????

And yet Mr. Ray says he is "determined to continue with his self-help ministry." If this is self-help, I'd hate to find out what he considers not helping!!

Anyway, just wanted to provide you with an update. And to think Oprah was endorsing this charlatan only 2 prior to the incident!


P.S. There is still time to enter my Flat Greeting Card Giveaway - perfect for Holiday cards!!

19 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

just disturbing...

Kathie @ my net finds said...

wow. that's all I can say. And shame on Oprah for endorsing him.

Vodka Logic said...

As much as Oprah annoys me I am sure if she had known she wouldn't have endorsed him.. also shows Oprah isn't the all knowing she thinks she is either, So sad for those people

Kristina P. said...

This is horrible. I think he's going to be in a lot of trouble.

blueviolet said...

Oprah has had more guests on her show who turn out to be quacks later on...

Joy said...

Horrifying...

I wonder if Oprah has made a statement about this guy since she endorsed him before, or if she's clamming up to create distance.

Amanda said...

I wish people could wake up and see how destructive it is to try and teach people that they can find true happiness with Jesus.

And thats all I have to say about that.

Amanda

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh no! This is so crazy! I can not believe someone would do that to people. Pitiful!

Tammy Howard said...

It's sad - the lengths (and depths) people will go to to find answers...

Lucy said...

How sad. I hope they are gathering evidence on him and building a case.

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Oh that is just so wrong on so many levels... I agree - if this was 'help', I'd sure hate to see what not helping would be like! Oh wait, we sorta did when he didn't help those poor people... ;)

Laura said...

It's amazing how people can be pressured so easily...I mean seriously, people are collapsing...get the hell out of there!! UGH crazy!

JennyMac said...

wow..what a sad and disturbing story. I hope Oprah didnt know the full story before endorsing..another James Frey perhaps?

Yaya said...

Oh dear...

Eva Gallant said...

Terrible situation! And people paid big bucks for this experience, I'm sure!

Melissa B. said...

Sometimes I just want to hide under my covers and ignore what's happening in the world...and I'm in the news business!

MAISON CHAPLIN said...

Hi, I love your blog, and the pictures are stunning!
I'm now following you via rss! ^^

Follow me on Twitter/maisonchaplin and Facebook/maisonchaplin

@ MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com

Kaylen said...

Ugh, this guy makes me want to vomit without being in a sweat-tent!
I didn't realize Oprah had endorsed him, which unfortunate, since she has such a flock of sheep herself! :)

Shawn said...

My gosh---this is so crazy! I hadn't heard anything----but then I hate to watch the news...so depressing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...