Monday, October 26, 2009

That Ain't Workin'

The other day I was listening to a radio talk show that is in syndication. Aw heck, I am going to go ahead and mention the name since I really do enjoy the show: Matt & Ramona.


Here's the thing. I think that Matt & Ramona have dream jobs. Getting paid to banter and crack jokes with your own little radio "family" hardly seems like "work" to me! I'm sure there is probably much more to it, with behind the scenes show prep, speaking engagements, community events, etc. - Hey, possibly they are skilled performers, covering up for a radio family that is in reality as dysfunctional as our families. I don't know for certain. I doubt it. But for argument's sake: consider the show as you hear it.

Those of you who came of age in the 80's probably remember the line from Dire Strait's tune "♪ ♫ Get your money for nothin' and your chicks for free... That ain't workin' ♫" (Remove the chicks and you have the essence of a lot of these formulaic talk radio shows.)

Well, there I was thinkin' this, when Matt says to Bandy: "I've gotta pull this thing together. I need something to talk about (I'm paraphrasing) and then you hear him flipping through papers and he comes up with a topic!"

A couple jokes, lots of laughs, a bit of crude humor *cough* eggplants *cough*...I could soooooo do get into it!! Isn't that essentially what we as bloggers are already doing?

17 comments:

Alicia said...

seriously! how fun would that be?! i would LOVE to have a job like that...plus i LOVE talking... i'd talk to the wall if it would listen...

Tammy Howard said...

Yes ma'am! And we don't even get to the 'banter' part till after we've thought out a post... Imagine what a few of us in a room armed with nothing but a couple topics could come up with.

That ain't workin', indeed...

angelcel said...

You're right but in my case I have to admit that I'd probably be no good at the 'live on air' stuff. This is where I truly admire those who can come up with little gems of 'one liners' off the top of their head.

Kathie @ my net finds said...

I'd do it! :-)

~Kristen~ said...

I would do it in a heartbeat!!!

Amanda said...

Girl, I have a feeling that you would be an AWESOME talk show host!!! Look out Radio.. its Carma!!

You shoudl contact your local radio station and see about getting on air from like 1 to 3 am or something... get some experience... I had a friend who did it. She had no experience at all, but was a great talker...

You should DO IT!!

Blessings-
Amanda

Tater Tot Mom said...

I think that would be a dream job...I've always thought that...not sure why I didn't go into radio...people always tell me I talk too much! :)

blueviolet said...

I really love talk radio! I find that I listen to that a lot more than music stations.

Kristin said...

I'd listen to the Carma show!

McVal said...

That would be great fun to work in a job like that!

Randi Troxell said...

i think you'd be a GREAT host... me, nahhh- probably not so much, i freak when i'm put on the spot!!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I'd listen if you had a radio show.

Lucy said...

You need to go for it!!!

Dr.John said...

Somebody else always has the dream jobs. We scrub the floors.

kys said...

I have had these same thoughts when listening to morning radio shows. It wouldn't even seem like work.

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

wow that is a dream job indeed!lol!

Janna Bee said...

A job where you get paid to talk all day- I could do that! Although the special events and speaking engagements that come with it, not so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...