Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Not Your Grandmother's BFA

Just heard about another social networking site similar to Twitter, only this one is called Be F*ing Awesome (or BFA for short)...

It works the same way only the requirement is that your "tweet" must be awesome. Nothing such as "I like Fall," "The kids are napping," etc.

Naturally, I headed on over to check it out. Here are a couple of actual "awesome" statements from today:

- I just deloused my daughter. Thought about eating them but resisted. F*ing Awesome!

- Clubbed a family of seals to death with my 80's cell phone.

- Made a manly sandwich (no greenery bullsh*t) and ate it in preparation of pure f*ing awesome.

- pulled off a scab

- washed my hands after i took a sh*t

and several "I joined BFA." (like that is awesome?)

Maybe I'm just getting too old for all this, but I don't need any more pressure to be something I am not. (Since the FTC is now regulating blogs, I'd better come up with a full disclosure statement: "I am not awesome" - so that you will realize that I am not qualified to judge awesomeness.)

As if I don't already struggle with coming up with something witty enough to put on Twitter, now, with this site, there is the added pressure of trying to be "awesome" - and to top it off- your BFA tweets are voted upon with a FA Value.

I'm wondering if this site will serve no other purpose than to encourage people to do stupid things. Most people who do stupid things do not need any further encouragement.

Speaking of which, did you read about the woman (Penelope Trunk, CEO and business professional) who tweeted last week "thank goodness for her miscarriage," only she didn't say it in those words, here's her actual tweet:

"I'm in a board meeting. Having a miscarriage. Thank goodness, because there's a f***-up 3-week hoop-jump to have an abortion in Wisconsin."

This from a business professional...

Idiots such as Penelope, make me want to pull the plug and go back to my mundane life without publicizing my mundaneness. Some days I think that would really be f*ing awesome :D

...but then I'd miss you guys :-(

33 comments:

Amanda said...

OH MY GOODNESS.

I am so offended by this on so many different levels all of the wittiness has been zapped from my brain.

What on earth are people thinking???

And like I need to join ANOTHER networking site where not only can people ignore me, but they can vote on how UNcool I am!

Yeah right.

Later stud.
Amanda

Aleta said...

I blog and FB, but I don't tweet. I can't believe someone wrote that on Twitter about abortion. Disgusting. And now, you have to come up with an awesome tweet. Yeah, no pressure. Yikes!

Stephanie Faris said...

I love creative status updates. A few people on Facebook are good about it. I spend so much time here, though, I don't even have time to keep up with the social networking sites I'm on.

Martha said...

I am sorry, but I am still in shock about the business professional tweet...Wow.
I am thinking I already have a hard enough time updating my FB. I dont know what I would do if I had to be more "awesome". Geez!

Yankee Girl said...

All I really want to say to these people who have all the time in the world to think of awesome things to tweet is GET A F*CKING LIFE!!!!

Really? Do we really need more sights where we can read about people's lives and be offended by stupid people such as the lady mentioned? I'm all for women's rights, but some things are meant to be broadcasted over the internet.

I have enough time keeping up with my blog....

Kristina P. said...

And this is why I don't Twitter.

~Kristen~ said...

OK, I am completely 100% pro-choice but that Tweet was just...I really have no words, other than, instead of BFA, I am all WTF?!?!?! Is that woman for f*ing real?!?

~Kristen~ said...

Oh! I almost forgot! I have something for you on my blog! Go check it out! :-)

strokeofliving said...

The title of "professional" is always up for debate, don't get caught up in someone else's f*ing madness.

Aunt Juicebox said...

Some people are exhibitionists. You never know when people are telling the truth or saying what they do just to get a reaction. All I can say is, "thank goodness" she's not going to be a parent.

Kathie @ my net finds said...

wow.

I gotta say I think there's a little bit of overload concerning social networks....are people really this bored?

Tater Tot Mom said...

That is so terribly offensive about the miscarriage I can't even begin to say...especially for those of us who have had them and not wanted to.

I don't twitter because I can't possibly think of anything to say...at least not that short...I'm a little long winded.

And even if you don't think so, I think you are F@#$ing Awesome (how's that for cheesy!). Chessy as a Utz Cheeseball!

Lucy said...

Oh, my gosh, I didn't hear about that Tweet or have I heard about the new site and gosh I could never ever be on BFA!

blueviolet said...

I'm thinking that those who are leaving to go to BFA are making twitter a better place to be!

Laura said...

WOW!! I don't even know what else to say, totally in shock! What is wrong with people? I think I'll stick to tweeting (as long as I don't follow that business chick, ugh!)

Kristin said...

Please tell me she wasn't serious.

kyslp said...

I've all but given up Twitter and FB. I don't need any more excuses to avoid the real world.

Joy said...

I almost never Twitter. I have no use for it. And I certainly don't have any use for that other networking site. It sounds like a "Can you top this?" kind of situation + popularity contest. Which I will not win, ever. Nor do I want to.

I am so grossed out and flat-out sickened by that "CEO". Gosh I hope she's not representative of this society we live in now.

Fragrant Liar said...

Oh, I'm so glad you came by my blog so I could come back here and find you!

Trunk is a moron, and I'm guessing there was some divine reason she couldn't have that child.

Kaylen said...

I'm so tired of twitter. And I'm extra-tired of people posting on FB as if it was Twitter.
I do not care if you got laundry done. I do not care if you are going to bed. I do not care if you are having a grilled cheese. I do not care if you just dropped your son off at daycare.

cherie said...

what in the world?!?

JennyMac said...

Another reason for me to NEVER join Twitter.

ugh...what a story.

Rebecca Jo said...

OK - I'm totally checking this out NOW...

& I once again realize I could NEVER be as awesome as most people!

Randi Troxell said...

wow.. just wow... i really cannot even halfway come up with something to say.. other than penelope can choose to do as she pleases.. for petes sake.. have a tiny bit of couth and sensitivity!

Yaya said...

Abortion...don't get me started...

And do we really need another way to keep in touch??

Alicia said...

SHUT UP! she said that??? oh my gosh that pisses me off and breaks my heart all at the same time...ugh...

Angel said...

What some people will do or say to belong, or to be something I on't even have the words for it..

Janna Bee said...

Wow, I am so not awesome enough to be on BFA.
And seriously, that woman is horrid.

Michele said...

Oh wow! I'm not sure what to say. I guess, first of all I think the new "BFA" things sounds just stupid(to me anyway). Taking it a little too far... and once again overdoing something that is already overdone.

As for the woman"~ I am speechless. Wait... nope, I'm speechless.

Once again, another great post. I love reading your blog.

And now I'm going to go be UN-BFA... and say goodnight.

Michele said...

Oh.. and I think you are Awesome, just the way you are!!!!

angelcel said...

The trouble is, people are so *not* awesome, despite what they may like to think....as Penelope [I've-got-my-head-in-a] Trunk so graphically proved. Stupid, stupid woman.

Tammy Howard said...

I rarely if ever twitter anymore. Blogs and FB are enough and are both more substantial. And yeah, no thanks to having my tweets (or whatever they're calling them) judged...

A Woman Of No Importance said...

You're going nowhere, Carma! This sort of idiot is out there in the world in any case, just tweetings make them more visible... Morons hold the ring of life, sometimes it seems... It's the rest of us sane/insane/wonderful and awesome (in the nicest possible sense, of course) who need to stick together, my love! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...