Sunday, October 18, 2009

Dag Blame Phone

Today I was out grocery shopping - alone. Which is how I like it since this way I can go through the Express Lane with 26 products (6 over) without having the boys chime in that I should not be in that lane. They would rather take the time to count every single item and make me go to another lane. (In my defense, I refrain from doing this if there is a line at the register so don't lambaste me.)

I glanced at my phone and noticed that it showed 5 missed calls. I immediately assumed (correctly) that they were from MB and I called him back. (One thing you need to understand about MB is that he will call 5 times in a row for something as simple as seeing a local TV news anchor at the RenFest so I knew not to panic. )

Then as I was driving home the phone starts making an odd sound. I quickly pull it out in order to avoid another missed call, only to realize it is reminding me about the voice mails. This is exactly the reason I have suggested that MB and VC not leave me any voicemails - because I am unable to check voicemail, having forgotten the code. The phone is in MB's name so to get the code reset would require him to contact the cell phone company, which is always a production (on my part).

The good news is that I finally figured out what the guy with the lines coming out of his head represents - a voicemail! Am I correct? I thought it had something to do with speakerphone since one day I accidentally put the phone on speaker and then noticed that symbol. (can anyone tell me what the symbol of the arrow pointing to the phone stands for? much obliged.)


I am truly not an ignoramus (although that may be hard to ascertain - especially if you are a regular reader of my blog ;-), it's just that I have never made it a priority to learn how the phone works. It is a phone that I have in case I am ever stranded on a overpass at rush hour with people honking at me, cotton hanging out of my ear following surgery and a malfunctioning (dead) car computer (as happened several years ago).

Bottom line is that I need to get VC to change my ring tone, as I cannot hear the current tone while the radio is cranked up to:



(which is incidentally my blog theme ;-)

And secondly, remind the 4 people who have knowledge of my phone number not to leave me any voicemails!

There. That seems like a good fix. This is exactly why I told the guys at Verizon that I wanted one of those granny phones. I should have stood my ground :D My next phone WILL be a granny phone.

Although by that point we may have a phone plan outside of the "emergency plan" that will enable me to send pictures to my email. If I had had that function enabled today, I could have posted a picture of a guy with a rather large gut dressed in a skintight yellow superhero costume holding up a sign for the Halloween shop while jammin' to tunes on his i-POD. Note to self: pack camera on next grocery trip.

Please check out my giveaway. It is perfect for holiday cards, and who doesn't love free holiday cards????

P.S. VC is totally kickin' a$$ at the RenFest :D

25 comments:

blueviolet said...

I just think you have no business owning a cell phone at all. It's quite simply...beyond you.

;)

angelcel said...

Snap. The mobile is in my possession for my emergencies. What?...What's wrong with that? ;)

Vodka Logic said...

lol.... I love my cell phone and have it with me constantly. Sad perhaps but better than a heroin addiction.

Big Mama Cass said...

haha you crack me up. The arrow pointing the the phone means "missed call" and on my blackberry will stay there until i select those missed calls to view who they were from... always a production if you ask me.

and deary... That *IS* a granny phone!! hahahaha

you crack me up! :)

Aunt Juicebox said...

I hate cell phones too. I think they are hard to talk on no matter what style they are, and the buttons are just small and annoying. I forbid anyone to leave me voice mail under penalty of getting my foot inserted into their arse. And not just on the cell but on my home phone too. I hate retrieving messages. I love the camera function though.

Tammy Howard said...

I am so glad you wrote this today. I am an ignoramus with my phone, too - constantly asking the hubs or the kids to do things for me. I would be very happy with a granny phone, too.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I always forget to check my messages.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

What's a Granny Phone, oh Carmic One??! Mind you, I suspect I might have one already ;) xxx

Kathie @ my net finds said...

You need a jitterbug phone! hahahaha

You can have mine, I don't get why people are so obsessed with their cell phones.

plainolebob said...

Carma.
man i can't figger out my phone neither.
When the battery dies I buy a new one, it's cheeper them the battery.
lol.
BIG HUGS
Bess says hi

Yaya said...

I know how to listen to my voicemails, I just don't. I can see who calls, so I see no point in listening to voicemail.

Joy said...

Yeah VC!

I don't have a cell phone. I only carry Eric's when he ever-so-sweetly insists. ;o)

Michele said...

I agree with Blueviolet...
no business owning a cell phone!!! LOL (just kidding, darlin)

I love this post. You always make me laugh with your wit, and honesty. I "heart" you.

Laura said...

I would die, DIE without my cell phone, BUT I still haven't learned how to use mine either. I decided it would be great to get the most complicated one just in case I needed all of that stuff and then I opened it and looked at the 1 1/2 inch thick manual...you have GOT to be kidding me. Anyway, still no idea how to do anything, whatever. :)

Yay for VC, that's awesome!

Beth said...

Clearly, that is a picture of someone getting whalloped on the head by a cell phone. Need to know anything else?

I'd tell you to call me but my phone is for me to call other people. Personally, I don't like to receive calls.

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

I used to never use my phone. Until I got my iPhone. Now, I am addicted to it. But I have a 13 year old that tells me how to use it. Because I am electronic incapable.

kys said...

Something for you on Stir Fry when the next post goes up.

Leproust Vintage said...

hahaha! I love reading your stories and anecdotes! They always brighten my day, and most of the time I am completely on the same page as you! My husband laughs at me because I have no idea how to use my phone either!

Thank you for the sweet comment about our wedding pictures! :)

Hope you had a great weekend!

Tater Tot Mom said...

I have a simple phone...I have no desire to get one of those IPhone things or whatever where the phone does 800 things. I just use it sparingly. If I'm out...I don't really want to be reached, that's why I have an answering machine!

And here's what I really hate! That bluetooth ear thingy...I always see those people in the store seemingly talking to themselves or I think they are talking to me, the I feel like an idiot when I talk to them and they look at me like I'm crazy!

Amanda said...

I wish I could point my finger at you and laugh (what a horrible thing to say) but sadly, I cannot. I too, need a granny phone and can never figure anything out.

I still dont know how to text.

Good luck!

Amanda

Randi Troxell said...

maybe you should look into one of those "jitterbug" phones... lol... just playing... kinda!!

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

if hubby will not charge it and put it in my bag...i won't have my phone with me for the longest time...

then we started fighting...he stopped all this....and guess what....i am still ok...i just have a charger in the car....the phone remains there as i need it only when i am out of home anyway!

Janna Bee said...

My husband never checks his voicemail either- and his box is always full from messages from me. I can't stop! I always think he might actually listen to them- yeah right.

Yay for VC, by the way!

Lucy said...

I laughed through this entire post! And , I loved Blueviolets comment, too funny And Big Mama Cass gently informing you that you have the 'granny' phone. Funny stuff!

Kaylen said...

I frequently have that missed call arrow showing - I get irritated that I have to actually go view my missed calls to see who it was. Can't they just text me?? I rarely ever call anyone. I dislike talking on cell phones and I really dislike hearing other people talking on cell phones.
I do love me some texting though!!! How wonderful and convenient!!

I rarely check my voicemail. I saw that you called, why do you need to say something?? (send a text!!!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...