Saturday, October 3, 2009

Carma Cooks!

bwwwwwaaaaahhhaaaaaa....Ok, now that I got that out of my system, you've read a lot about my love of food (especially certain snack foods) on this blog, so I figured you might be wondering if I ever cook...

Back when I had "chickpea stewitis" I may have mentioned that I am a vegetarian. Occasionally I come across a recipe that I like to try (emphasis on "occasionally") Years ago, there was one of those Hovan stores at the food court at our local mall. I used to enjoy their vegetarian rolls, so when I came across a recipe a few weeks ago, I figured I'd give it a try:

Summer Cucumber & Avacado Wrap with Herb Cheese and Heirloom Tomatoes

Here's what you need:
4 large flatbread wraps (or thin bread, tortilla or pita wrap)

Herb Cheese Spread
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp tarragon
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp lemon pepper

Soften cream cheese and mix in all seasonings. Bring to room temp to use.

Wrap stuffing
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- 4 oz bag arugula
- 1 ripe avocado sliced thinly
- 2 heirloom tomatoes each sliced into thin slices
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Salt and pepper for seasoning

Warm flatbread in microwave for 20 seconds then lay out on kitchen counter. Using a spatula spread 1/4 of herb cheese on each flatbread. Then, leaving a 1-inch strip with nothing but cheese at one side, layer arugula, 3 slices tomato, 1/4 cucumber and 1/4 of the sliced avocado on each flatbread. Grimace at husband after he takes picture of you instead of close up of food making you look like a lollipop head on a stick from that angle.)


Season each with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Roll slowly making sure the 1-inch cheese side of the wrap is the last part to be rolled up.
Slice each roll.

Enjoy! (I need to work on my presentation a bit :D )

*I recommend cutting the amt of garlic powder and lemon pepper in half. I doubled the rest of the ingredients since we have big appetites. Also, mix the cream cheese mix really really well so there are no pockets of spices.

29 comments:

Vodka Logic said...

Looks yummy. It would be a good dish to take to a party, would feed a lot of people.
Thanks for the recipe

Lisa Paul said...

Sounds tasty! And if that's the secret to your slimness, I'm all over it.

Kathie @ my net finds said...

When I first saw the post title I thought I read "Carma Cookies" LOL

You are such a healthy eater! :-)

Rebecca Jo said...

looks appetizing!

I gotta know how you got a picture from so high up though...

~Kristen~ said...

That looks really good! I am not a vegetarian, but I have been finding more and more over the past several months that I am losing my taste for meat and poultry. I have definitely been enjoying a more vegetarian way of eating. I am going to try this!

Michele said...

Looks super yum!!!
Thanks for another great idea!!

Michele

Kristina P. said...

I love flatbread! This looks delicious.

Tina said...

Mmmm this looks yummy!

Laura said...

This would be a fun little appetizer to bring somewhere...they looks so cute all rolled up and stuff. And was your photographer standing on the counters to get that picture! :)

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Right, I'm very hungry now - Thanks Carma-Chef! I'm a veggie too, thanks for the new recipe to try out! x

blueviolet said...

I much prefer vegetarian foods so this looks yummy!

Amanda said...

Look at you cooking!! And well might I add!

This looks good. But I think you lost me at cream cheese. I just want a bagel now.

OK ok, I will try to make this sometime and then let you know. :)

Blessings!
Amanda

Angel said...

ok making my shopping list...

Mocha Dad said...

You cook and have Cheez-Balls. You are the perfect woman.

Aunt Juicebox said...

My daughter is a vegetarian. I might have to try this, minus the tomatoes. I swear that kid isn't mine, she hates tomatoes? lol

Alicia said...

mmmm that looks so good! i love heirloom tomatoes!! sooo yummy!

Kristin said...

That sounds crazy delicious!

Sashindoubutsu said...

Looks good.. I don't eat cheese but my folks would like that. I love cucumbers and avocados, too!^^

Karen said...

Mmmmmm...

Tater Tot Mom said...

This looks so good and it satiates my obsession with avocado at the same time! Definitely going to try this!

Angel said...

I want to know hwo your cameraman is :)

Lucy said...

Sounds delicious!

Melissa B. said...

And Carma's quite the chef, ain't she? I was looking for one more "something" to go with our Monday Nite Football tailgate in the Family Room. Looks like this is it...Thanks mucho!

Yaya said...

This sounds sooooooooo good.

Joy said...

Aren't you the cutest little vegetarian chef to hit Blogger!

And the photos of the food preparation and presentation were really good.

Fashionista said...

I just wanted to find something to use my wraps... thank you for your lovely comment AND thank you for this post!

Janna Bee said...

This looks really yummy!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

this looks incredibly delicious and like something i could make! yay!

Leproust Vintage said...

These sound amazing!!! I am a vegetarian as well, and am ALWAYS looking for new recipes!! I am going to try this soon.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...