Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Anatomy of a Belly Dance Smackdown

[If you are not familiar with my previous posts on the Belly Dance Smackdown, check here and here and here. ]

Last night at belly dance class, I got some very disturbing news...We were being put into groups of three to begin the practice for our next dance recital in January.

The instructor started calling out names and moving us around. I was totally psyched when I ended up in a group with two people I thought would be a lot of fun: one girl was someone I've become friends with over the last 5 months; and the other other was a teenager who seemed like she would be a good fit with us. We were all giggly and I was happy to be in this group since we would be training together over the next 3 months.

Then, dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn.....The instructor decided to do some moving around when she realized that a girl in another group had already been a "lead" dancer. She asked me if there was a chance I wanted to take over the lead of her group since I hadn't had a chance to lead yet. I shrugged and said I guess OK and we swapped groups.

Now, take a guess who I will be leading???


You guessed it.


The Belly Dance Diva (formerly referred to as 'Ariel') !!!!!!!
(who BTW is back to her old icy ways)



It is going to be a loooooooong 3 months.



And here's the clincher: Belly Dance Diva CAN DANCE WELL (wishing I could say the same for myself!) She towers over me and I am already envisioning us performing at the recital when she does a big swish and swishes me right off the stage...to take over the lead....

Will we ever become non-"sisters who despise each other in dance"? Stay tuned as the Belly Dance Smackdown saga continues....

32 comments:

Karen said...

I can still come break some kneecaps if you need me to, Carma...

angelcel said...

Of all the luck! Er, let's see... maybe you should arrange your dancing in a triangular formation and of course being so tall she should definitely stand at the back. ;)

Joy said...

You are going to do great. Just make sure that your husband doesn't go all Tonya Harding on her.

Christina said...

That girl is like a bad fungus.... you just can't seem to get rid of her. Here's hoping for a pleasant 3 months. I know you will be fabulous Carma! Shake and shimmy girl!

Janna Bee said...

This is playing out just like a movie. Let me know if you need backup :)

Tammy Howard said...

I know, I know - but... YOU'RE GOING TO BE DANCING THE LEAD! that's awesome, Carma! I think I'm gonna be saying, "I knew her when" some day.

Rebecca Jo said...

When I saw the title... I said out loud - OH NO!!!! Dang it - thought she was getting better. Dont let her take over... shake those hips at her to back her down!!!

strokeofliving said...

Go Carma go! Don't let the BD Diva smack you down.

McVal said...

Maybe she'll lose interest by January and start a different hobby... like ice fishing or something.
Good luck! You might want to try and stay away from breaking her knee caps... unless of course you can get away with it!

Amanda said...

Oh dear. Well. Maybe you were put in this girls life for a reason. Maybe she needs you to show her what it means to be a good person.

Maybe I am over analyzing this and need to go and play with my kids.

Blessings!
Amanda

Randi Troxell said...

yuh-oh.... i mighta been difficult and refused to move.. though aren't we all adults???? whatever.. i mighta still refused!

Kristina P. said...

Belly dance off!!

Aleta said...

Oh no!!! I was hoping all that was behind you. Yikes! Can you switch back to the other group? Good Luck!!!

Debbie said...

You are cracking me up. I love the idea of the smackdown:)

plainolebob said...

Carma,
me an Bess got your back, so not to worry, we got the grand kids waiting in the wings. git her close to the edge and boom, them grand kids'll take care of the diva.
BIG HUGS

Kathie @ my net finds said...

oh nooooooooooooo!!!! Wow, who would've thought?!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Guh, sorry about the group. Hopefully the Diva can reform her ways. Fingers crossed.

Vodka Logic said...

Practice like hell and show the bitch up... we know you can do it.

blueviolet said...

You need to take her out.

Laura said...

I KNEW she would be back to her old ways, saw it coming a mile away! :) Good luck dear sweet Carma, stay strong!

kyslp said...

I can take her out for you. All I have to do is smack her with my gi-normouse flapping belly during some strategic dance moves. It will look like an accident.

Tater Tot Mom said...

Heh don't let that skank take away your spotlight! :)

That's amazing that you're dancing the lead! I'm sure you're going to do great!

Leproust Vintage said...

I love hearing your belly dancing tales! Despite the challenges, it sounds so fun!!

Melissa B. said...

When I read your Belly Dancing posts, I always say to myself, "Self, in what universe would you ever deign to bow down to belly dancing?" A mere rhetorical question, because I have neither the figure, the stamina nor the grace for such an art. I think you'll do great, despite this minor setback. You go, girl!

Cynthia@RunningWithLetters said...

My belly dancing resume includes a one hour lesson at a special dinner my best friend held for her closest friends...she brought in the belly dancer as surprise entertainment. I remember having this awesome yellow scarf thing. I twirled it a lot. I probably wouldn't last long in your group.

Kristin said...

How does she make friends and then go back to being a biotch? Me no get it.

Fashionista said...

Well I think you will be great as a lead dancer just because carma (not you but the carma-thing) has a way of getting back to mean people... haha, it can be you too :)!

Fashionista said...

... I mean getting back at mean people :D

JennyMac said...

You look GREAT!

Have no fear...Fabulous is here (this is your game day mantra).

Lisa Paul said...

Oh, no. I knew this was going to happen. The peace and love couldn't last. Everyone knows bellydancers are a cutthroat crowd.

Lisa Paul said...

Oh, no. I knew this was going to happen. The peace and love couldn't last. Everyone knows bellydancers are a cutthroat crowd.

Issa said...

Congratulations on getting the lead! I wish I had the guts to take dance lessons, too. Much luck with your recital! Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...